• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horrific Spider-Man Covers ?
3 3

266 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

Now I'm not keen on that one Buzz.  9 and 33 maybe....

The Electro shocking Spider-man while just standing there with a goofy face is kind of blah... Romita would have had Spider-man on his knees which is what would have been more of an attention getter that early in the series.  Think along the lines of issue 40's Goblin cover. 

33 is tricky.  I believe that 33 is a classic cover because of the story but not because of the cover.  We identify the cover with the story but as a stand alone cover or print it would just be Spider-man under some rubble.  Many of Romita's covers are not just dynamic but tell a story. 

For example, ASM39 is a classic cover in it's own right.  Spider-man unmasked by the Goblin was a shocking issue that is elevated because of the story.  ASM33 is Spider-man under the rubble that relies on the storytelling to be such a monumental cover. 

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

The Electro shocking Spider-man while just standing there with a goofy face is kind of blah... Romita would have had Spider-man on his knees which is what would have been more of an attention getter that early in the series.  Think along the lines of issue 40's Goblin cover. 

33 is tricky.  I believe that 33 is a classic cover because of the story but not because of the cover.  We identify the cover with the story but as a stand alone cover or print it would just be Spider-man under some rubble.  Many of Romita's covers are not just dynamic but tell a story. 

For example, ASM39 is a classic cover in it's own right.  Spider-man unmasked by the Goblin was a shocking issue that is elevated because of the story.  ASM33 is Spider-man under the rubble that relies on the storytelling to be such a monumental cover. 

tumblr_om9f6r7Nsv1v9s8bio1_500.gif.3dc00e19e8e7aff0d1ef140e7b6ad0ff.gif

12 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

I don't collect moderns or even look at them apparently because this cover is simply horrifying !! is it some kind of  inside joke or something ??

Ramos' art is very stylised. If you don't like his style, it can border on horrific for some. For me, sometimes I like his work, sometimes not. The not is usually when he 'overdoes' it. If that makes sense. 

16 minutes ago, spideyfan68 said:

i always thought this one was pretty terrible and gave us a all a view of what post-McFarlane ASM's would look like

28811-2127-31991-1-amazing-spider-man-.j

Yuck.

I never liked McFarlane either, so there aren't many issues from 300 up to 400 that I do like if I'm honest.

One more truly horrific cover before bedtime. Shield your eyes.....

1087401.jpg.eae91d0286b97583e2e95103b688ef93.jpg

WTF. No, really. WTF!

Or to put it another way, 596156faa2be7_2017-07-0819_52_40.png.746c963d1baf848e0a0e48e4ac7a3335.png

Good night ?

47 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

One more truly horrific cover before bedtime. Shield your eyes.....

1087401.jpg.eae91d0286b97583e2e95103b688ef93.jpg

WTF. No, really. WTF!

Or to put it another way, 596156faa2be7_2017-07-0819_52_40.png.746c963d1baf848e0a0e48e4ac7a3335.png

Good night ?

I'm sorry but the only way this could happen with the chin behind the chest is if he had a completely dislocated cervical spine eg was DEAD

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, bounty_coder said:

If the glove don't fit...you must acquit 

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

Thank you OJ!  

Wish I wasn't out of likes. 

I recently watched a very long documentary series about the life of OJ Simpson, with a lot in it about his murder trial.

Sadly, that comment went completely over my head.  hm

I was totally puzzled by it. :facepalm: doh!

So, six or more hours well spent there. (thumbsu

Edited by Ken Aldred

7 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Not sure who did this one, but the artist has an incredible ability to draw photorealistically, far surpassing anything ever done by top creators such as Alex Ross.

2384_20090122205814_large.jpg

It's dull, isn't it?

I swear to god when I saw the this thread, that's the FIRST book I could think of. This cover is hands down the worst cover of all time