• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horrific Spider-Man Covers ?
3 3

266 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

So, if a Best Spider-Man Cover thread was started, Steve would use this one?

latest?cb=20121205194537

Image result for homer happy gif

12 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

With respect, due to his exceptional talent, I think we should honor Milgrom with a different meme

596319764b743_Justthinkingaboutitmakesmyasshurt_493acf37eb8dc9279a1ecdf8e41e385a.gif.2ddb11b924131921c2c589aa395986c4.gif

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, Marwood & I said:

One more truly horrific cover before bedtime. Shield your eyes.....

1087401.jpg.eae91d0286b97583e2e95103b688ef93.jpg

WTF. No, really. WTF!

Or to put it another way, 596156faa2be7_2017-07-0819_52_40.png.746c963d1baf848e0a0e48e4ac7a3335.png

Good night ?

I'm pretty sure, under that mask......   you'll find the crazed dark sorcerer TOLKEMEC !! 

Tolkemec%20A_zpsgr7rrlqz.jpg

Ya.... mine too.  Still, that missing chin makes him highly suspect as a secret identity for that horrid Spidey cover

On 7/8/2017 at 2:21 PM, Buzzetta said:

33 is tricky.  I believe that 33 is a classic cover because of the story but not because of the cover.  We identify the cover with the story but as a stand alone cover or print it would just be Spider-man under some rubble.  Many of Romita's covers are not just dynamic but tell a story. 

I recall this story, where Spidey becomes trapped in Doc Oc's goggles.

amazingspiderman55-max-1400.jpg

When it comes down to Ditko and Romita, it's not even close.

In his 41 issue run Ditko created, pretty much on his own, one of the best rogue's galleries in comics :
The Chameleon, the Vulture, the Tinkerer, Doctor Octopus, Sandman, the Lizard, Electro, the Big Man and the Enforcers, Mysterio, the Green Goblin, Kraven the Hunter, the Scorpion, Princess Python, Spencer Smythe's Robots, Crime-Master, the Molten Man, the Cat, and the Looter.  21 total in 41 issues.
Dynamic covers (IMO) that told a story and created a mood that was never duplicated in Spidey after Ditko left the book.

I love Romita, don't get me wrong, but... in Romita's first Spider-Man run consisting of 58 issues he co-created, with help from Stan (and fill-in artists Heck & Buscema) :
The Rhino, the Shocker, Kingpin, Man Mountain Marko, Silvermane, the Prowler, the Kangaroo (heh), and the Schemer.  8 total in 58 issues.
More issues, more help, less villains, and other than the Kingpin, Shocker & Rhino , they were mostly forgettable.
Nice, slick covers (with the exception of #55) but lacking in the tone that Ditko brought to the title.

...and that's just the villains. i won't list the difference in the number of supporting characters.

I gotta defend my man, Ditko (we all know he won't do it) :grin:

Edited by Unca Ben

2 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

I recall this story, where Spidey becomes trapped in Doc Oc's goggles.

amazingspiderman55-max-1400.jpg

Maybe those goggles are a gateway to Dementia 5..... hm  Image result for spider-man dementia 5

1 hour ago, Unca Ben said:

I gotta defend my man, Ditko (we all know he won't do it) :grin:

I'll write and ask Him Unc. I have had some success with that approach in the past :wink: