• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horrific Spider-Man Covers ?
3 3

266 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I believe we can get venison at the supermarket here in the UK, also possibly ostrich.

Very impressed that you've eaten three or four entire bears.  Sounds more addictive than bacon.

That would be a lot of meat to cut up into conveniently-sized steaks; quite a few hundred kilograms. Then again, American home freezers are much larger than the ones we use here, so I can imagine that quantity's feasible to store over in Oregon.

I do all of the wild game processing for myself.  that way it is packaged, cut and trimmed correctly to stay fresh, and it is cut into the cuts we like to eat!  yeah, we have a large chest freezer out in the garage.  All the Bears we've gotten have been incidental to deer hunting, but now that I'm retired, I plan on putting in for spring bear hunts where that is pretty much the sole purpose.

37 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I do all of the wild game processing for myself.  that way it is packaged, cut and trimmed correctly to stay fresh, and it is cut into the cuts we like to eat!  yeah, we have a large chest freezer out in the garage.  All the Bears we've gotten have been incidental to deer hunting, but now that I'm retired, I plan on putting in for spring bear hunts where that is pretty much the sole purpose.

Very cool.

3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

ever make bear sausage?

No,not a perv comment.

14 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

ever make bear sausage?

No,not a perv comment.

No, it's a serious possiblilty, using the leftovers or less choice cuts.

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

ever make bear sausage?

No,not a perv comment.

No - I do have a grinder, but I just make fatless burger out of the ends and pieces, because it is what we will eat up - for spaghetti, chili, tacos, enchiladas, strokenoff - stuff like that.

On 7/11/2017 at 10:39 AM, Unca Ben said:

When it comes down to Ditko and Romita, it's not even close.

In his 41 issue run Ditko created, pretty much on his own, one of the best rogue's galleries in comics :
The Chameleon, the Vulture, the Tinkerer, Doctor Octopus, Sandman, the Lizard, Electro, the Big Man and the Enforcers, Mysterio, the Green Goblin, Kraven the Hunter, the Scorpion, Princess Python, Spencer Smythe's Robots, Crime-Master, the Molten Man, the Cat, and the Looter.  21 total in 41 issues.
Dynamic covers (IMO) that told a story and created a mood that was never duplicated in Spidey after Ditko left the book.

I love Romita, don't get me wrong, but... in Romita's first Spider-Man run consisting of 58 issues he co-created, with help from Stan (and fill-in artists Heck & Buscema) :
The Rhino, the Shocker, Kingpin, Man Mountain Marko, Silvermane, the Prowler, the Kangaroo (heh), and the Schemer.  8 total in 58 issues.
More issues, more help, less villains, and other than the Kingpin, Shocker & Rhino , they were mostly forgettable.
Nice, slick covers (with the exception of #55) but lacking in the tone that Ditko brought to the title.

...and that's just the villains. i won't list the difference in the number of supporting characters.

I gotta defend my man, Ditko (we all know he won't do it) :grin:

I won't disagree with the created part,  but I think Romita had a better feel for the action and dynamics of the Spidey art.   

53 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

I won't disagree with the created part,  but I think Romita had a better feel for the action and dynamics of the Spidey art.   

I think Ditko reflected his time in the field.  Before Spidey, he had done a ton of cool weird/scary/sci-fi/Wi-Fi- covers and stories during the '50's.  I dig all the Ditko covers.   Romita was awesome though !!  His covers started using that two tone light blue/dark blue art !!  Such a great look !!

The way folks talk about Ramos around here these days is very similar to how I felt when McFarlane showed up on ASM. "What is this ?" I now have more of an appreciation for it, but at the time it was just jarringly bad.

Even 10 years or so on, I still find that art style by Ramos to be jarringly bad.

But, I did like his less-distorted 90s style, such as on Crimson.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

The way folks talk about Ramos around here these days is very similar to how I felt when McFarlane showed up on ASM. "What is this ?" I now have more of an appreciation for it, but at the time it was just jarringly bad.

The only appreciation I have for McFarlane is through sales. His books value appreciated quite well for me

Other than that I still consider him a hack. And a bad one at that

22 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

A thread titled "Horrific SpiderMan Covers" and we're quibbling for 10 pages about Ditko and Romita when Erik Larsen has (dis)graced so many??? I will try to dig some out later from the drek pile from the last copper collection I bought.

On 11/07/2017 at 7:01 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Hard to believe it was drawn by BWS.

Barry Smith's early stuff was a bit... uhh. He drew people as if their skulls were shaped like light bulbs.

Going on topic: for sheer ugliness, nothing comes close to the Ramos covers. His art isn't just bad, it's physically disgusting.

On 7/11/2017 at 10:39 AM, Unca Ben said:

When it comes down to Ditko and Romita, it's not even close.

In his 41 issue run Ditko created, pretty much on his own, one of the best rogue's galleries in comics :
The Chameleon, the Vulture, the Tinkerer, Doctor Octopus, Sandman, the Lizard, Electro, the Big Man and the Enforcers, Mysterio, the Green Goblin, Kraven the Hunter, the Scorpion, Princess Python, Spencer Smythe's Robots, Crime-Master, the Molten Man, the Cat, and the Looter.  21 total in 41 issues.
Dynamic covers (IMO) that told a story and created a mood that was never duplicated in Spidey after Ditko left the book.

I love Romita, don't get me wrong, but... in Romita's first Spider-Man run consisting of 58 issues he co-created, with help from Stan (and fill-in artists Heck & Buscema) :
The Rhino, the Shocker, Kingpin, Man Mountain Marko, Silvermane, the Prowler, the Kangaroo (heh), and the Schemer.  8 total in 58 issues.
More issues, more help, less villains, and other than the Kingpin, Shocker & Rhino , they were mostly forgettable.
Nice, slick covers (with the exception of #55) but lacking in the tone that Ditko brought to the title.

...and that's just the villains. i won't list the difference in the number of supporting characters.

I gotta defend my man, Ditko (we all know he won't do it) :grin:

Ditko came first, so he has the most keys?  Okay... except Romita drew all of those characters in a much more dynamic, finished, appealing manner than Ditko did.  I mean, look at the Spidey on these covers, and tell me you couldn't replace most of the Ditko Spideys with a Fred Hembeck version with the curly knees, and not see much of a difference:

Amazing Spider-Man 14 - Green Goblin - Hulk - Cave - Spidey - EnforcersAmazing Spider-Man 39

Amazing Spider-Man 15Amazing Spider-Man 47 - Kraven - Hunter - Hunted - Target - Spidey

Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Vulture - Tinkerer - SpidermanAmazing Spider-Man 48 - Vulture - City - Spidey - Skyscraper - Marvel

^ Those Romita covers are gorgeous (39 and 48 in particular) but I think your being unfair to the unique tone that Ditko had.

Kirby had a very finished style (with the right inker) and his characters were thick and heroic, his covers were as dynamic as it ever got, and Kirby was very consistent.  John Romita continued that tradition.  They were total professionals.  However, it was Ditko's vision that really separated Spiderman from the rest of the Marvel Universe.

With Ditko Spiderman you didn't get the heroic and dynamic vibes  as much as you got this mysterious and otherworldly vibe.  There was some inconsistencies (like the akward #15), but covers like 14 were pure magic.  The sometimes lanky and quirky postures he gave to the character really made him look Spidery, for the lack of a better word. 

26 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Well said. Ditko's Spidey has this otherworldly creepiness that makes it so unique.

I found Ditko's art much more exciting and edgy,  despite having stiffer figurework than Romita's.

A trade-off with a more realistic, but blander style.

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 hours ago, Readcomix said:

A thread titled "Horrific SpiderMan Covers" and we're quibbling for 10 pages about Ditko and Romita when Erik Larsen has (dis)graced so many??? I will try to dig some out later from the drek pile from the last copper collection I bought.

No need. I would rather not see that garbage thanks. :sick: