• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1M book out side of AC 1 or Tec 27 ?

52 posts in this topic

Verzyl's highest graded AA 16 made me think about this------don't know of a public/pvt sale of a GA 1M plus on any book other than AC 1 & Tec 27 .  Has there been one?  Title ?  Also, what book and grade out there do you see garnering a 1M payday IF put up for sale?

20 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

An 8.0 Cap 1 sold for 288k last year.  It wouldn't shock me to see the lone 9.8 copy go for a million.

I would have to think that the Cap 1 9.8 would be a million dollar book.,  The same goes for Verzyl's  AA 16

When it comes to $1 million comics, though, I think it is worth noting the following:

Only six comic book have sold for over $1 million.  Four of those are Action 1s.  Of those, Ayman Hariri has bought at least two of the four Action 1s on the list.  

The other two books are D27 8.0 and AF 15 9.6.  Who bought those?  Eric Roberts was the seller of the AF 15.  The deal was brokered by Comic Connect.  Was Hariri the buyer of that one also? 

In any event, the number of individuals who have paid over $1 million for a comic is a single handful at most.  Pretty exclusive club.  And not growing very fast.  In fact, no one new has been added to that club since 2011 at the latest.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

How about the Church copies of Whiz 2 and All-Star 8?  They both changed hands for a lot money 20+ years ago, and they may be far above the grade of the next highest copy.

Have to think the AS 8 would go well over $1 million now.

51 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

When it comes to $1 million comics, though, I think it is worth noting the following:

Only six comic book have sold for over $1 million.  Four of those are Action 1s.  Of those, Ayman Hariri has bought at least two of the four Action 1s on the list.  

The other two books are D27 8.0 and AF 15 9.6.  Who bought those?  Eric Roberts was the seller of the AF 15.  The deal was brokered by Comic Connect.  Was Hariri the buyer of that one also? 

In any event, the number of individuals who have paid over $1 million for a comic is a single handful at most.  Pretty exclusive club.  And not growing very fast.  In fact, no one new has been added to that club since 2011 at the latest.

Excellent point.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

How about the Church copies of Whiz 2 and All-Star 8?  They both changed hands for a lot money 20+ years ago, and they may be far above the grade of the next highest copy.

What's the church Copy of the AS 8 supposed to grade out at ?

28 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Is there a Flash Comics 1 that would hit the 1M mark ?   Can't remember if the 9.6 was a church book … If it's not I have to assume that it would not hit $1 million today     Maybe 750 K? 

Church 9.6 sold at Heritage for $450K in 2010 (Hariri?).  Might be two other books that could rival it (Reilly and KC).  Comic Connect sold 9.2 in 2014 for $182K. 

42 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Excellent point.

I could see the short list of people who can and do shell out seven figures on a comic doing it for the Cap 1, but other than longtime cachet derived from extreme rarity, what am I missing that would drive AA16?

I get at its much less common than the other heavyweights, but the character has nothing in common with newer versions and nothing to propel it. Don't get me wrong, I love Nodell, the whole Alan Ladd and Aladdin riffs, but I would be worried about future generations' handful of comic collecting whales at those levels viewing the first GL, however rare, in the same light as Action 1 (more important as the first superhero, the prime mover comic, than the first Superman as let's face it he's not the most popular hero anymore) and the first Bats and maybe Cap. 

Am I missing something else, or is AA16 in fact a riskier bet than other high six-figure books?

This is sort of related and wanted some folks who have been viewing this a lot longer than me to really weigh in.  When a book hits that 1 million mark does that impact the price in all grades or is it sort of limited to the 8.5 and higher grade range?  More many higher end books the price gap seems really high to the that starter level book (of course measuring against $0 anything looks big) but then the dollars per point seem to shrink down a little between 5.0 and 8.0 and then get bigger and bigger again the higher you go?  For instance a book might only be 1000 difference between a 5.0 and a 6.0 but then would be a 2000 difference between 8.5 and 9.0?  Am I imagining this?  Thanks for any insight.

I think the Dentist's Superman #1 is a $3,000,000 book. It's the most valuable non-Action #1/Detecrtive #27 comic, in my mind. 

Other million dollar books from the also-rans:

Mile High/Edgar Church Copy of Marvel Comics #1

Incredible Hulk #1 CGC 9.4

Batman #1 Church Copy (guess who owns this)

Church All American #16 CGC 9.4

Captain America #1 Allentown CGC 9.8

Mile High/Edgar Church Superman #1 CGC 8.0

Superman #1 CGC 8.0 (the old 7.5)

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 9.6 (x3)

30 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Church 9.6 sold at Heritage for $450K in 2010 (Hariri?).  Might be two other books that could rival it (Reilly and KC).  Comic Connect sold 9.2 in 2014 for $182K. 

I think it's at the edge of 7 figures.