JAMES BOND: NO TIME TO DIE starring Daniel Craig (2021)
3 3

445 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Bond movies I used to like but no longer do are... You Only Live Twice, Diamonds Are Forever and Octopussy. I don't know what happened?

You grew up?

:grin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2017 at 9:16 PM, SteppinRazor said:

I like Daniel Craig as Bond, but the movies are just remade Jason Bournes IMO.  Brosnan would've been perfect had they been able to get him when they wanted, and not made really long commercials as movies.  Dalton's movies were differently terrible, but terrible all the same.

It is a crying shame that they couldn't keep Connery for On Her Majesty's Secret Service instead of Lazenby, because that would've been the highest quality of Bond film.

IMO though, Thunderball is the ultimate expression of the James Bond movie.

I saw it the other way around, Bourne was a Bond wannabe. Plus... Damon. Not a big fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

My favorite as a child -- and the first one I ever saw -- was The Spy Who Loved Me. But as an adult it's not even in my top six.

And agreed -- On Her Majesty's Secret Service had arguably the best story this side of Skyfall. But it gets lost because it starred Lazenby rather than Connery.

Still, it has Telly Savalas and Diana Rigg.

Most importantly, it's the only film (and book) other than (perhaps) Casino Royale where Bond loses in the end.

OHMSS is by far one of the worst Bond films ever made. It's not as bad as Octopussy or Moonraker, but it's bad. Diana Rigg's character is one of the most annoying part of the film. Bond is escaping Blofeld and out of nowhere she just appears there for no rhyme or reason to help him escape. That scene alone is one of the three worst moments in Bond History where she shows up unplanned out of nowhere to help him escape. It ruins the story and flow of the film.

Every film has a gimme. OHMSS is the purposely trying to hide Lazenby's face and the jokes he is not the other guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Diamonds Are Forever was one of the worst Bond movies ever,as it didn't age well with that 70s cheesiness.

They should have cast Linda Thorson as Plenty O'Toole. It would have started "The Avenger Rule" where a Bond has to have every female from that TV show's cast for a decent Bond movie. Poor Linda, no one ever got used to her after Emma Peel's Diana Rigg. I thought she was pretty cute for the era, no Galore/Cathy Gale mind you. Even Patrick Macnee showed up in "A View to a Kill."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With all the Bourne stuff, Bond has always adapted to the various popular genre movies over the years to survive.

The 1970's inner-city ones yielded... Live & Let Die in '73.

The karate stuff gave us segments in The Man with the Golden Gun.

Star Wars morphed into Moonraker in 1979.

Revisionist spy movies like True Lies, helped Goldeneye arrive after well after the Cold War.

etc, etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

They should have cast Linda Thorson as Plenty O'Toole. It would have started "The Avenger Rule" where a Bond has to have every female from that TV show's cast for a decent Bond movie. Poor Linda, no one ever got used to her after Emma Peel's Diana Rigg. I thought she was pretty cute for the era, no Galore/Cathy Gale mind you. Even Patrick Macnee showed up in "A View to a Kill."

It reminded me of Madmen in that

Madmen 1960's = cool!

Madmen 1970's = weird and out of place.

James Bond 1960's = cool.

James Bond 1970's = weird and out of place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no problem with the Craig movies aping the Bourne movies -- which I think is absolutely the case.

Consider how bad Die Another Day was -- holograms, lasers, a Korean-turned-Brit, a Korean with a diamond-studded face, Madonna stunt-casting, needless CGI wind-surfing and a flippin' invisible car. It was a cartoon.

And then the Bourne Identity came out and showed how well serious modern espionage could be done -- turning even _Matt Damon_ into a believable action star.

The Bourne Identity instantly made the Roger Moore-Pierce Brosnan Bond films obsolete.

So then we got Casino Royale, which was done better than the original book easily bested all of the Roger Moore entries.

It was a direct response to Bourne, and was necessary to keep the franchise alive.

On that note, it's succeeded beautifully.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Consider how bad Die Another Day was -- holograms, lasers, a Korean-turned-Brit, a Korean with a diamond-studded face, Madonna stunt-casting, needless CGI wind-surfing and a flippin' invisible car. It was a cartoon.

You forgot the freakin' ice palace. :facepalm: 

Here I don't mind Stromberg's undersea palace in The Spy Who Loved Me, because it just worked through that actor and the movie's 70's tone, but flash forward 25 years later and you are right, it's a cartoon.

The only reason it remains in the Bond collection of mine is because of how bad-azz Rosamund Pike's Miranda Frost was in it. A stone-cold ice queen, for sure. I loved Brosnan's all telling reaction to her demise at the end. Something that was lost to the contrived climax and Michael Madsen's phoned-in performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I have no problem with the Craig movies aping the Bourne movies -- which I think is absolutely the case.

Consider how bad Die Another Day was -- holograms, lasers, a Korean-turned-Brit, a Korean with a diamond-studded face, Madonna stunt-casting, needless CGI wind-surfing and a flippin' invisible car. It was a cartoon.

And then the Bourne Identity came out and showed how well serious modern espionage could be done -- turning even _Matt Damon_ into a believable action star.

The Bourne Identity instantly made the Roger Moore-Pierce Brosnan Bond films obsolete.

So then we got Casino Royale, which was done better than the original book easily bested all of the Roger Moore entries.

It was a direct response to Bourne, and was necessary to keep the franchise alive.

On that note, it's succeeded beautifully.

The issue with Moore was despite looking younger than Connery in the first two films he stayed way too long for his own good. Moore should have gotten out around Moonraker at the latest. Later films suffered because of his old age over 55 filming A View to a Kill a great plot driven down because he could not do alot of the scenes anymore. Octopussy is the prime example of a film completely ruined by his age.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

The issue with Moore was despite looking younger than Connery in the first two films he stayed way too long for his own good. Moore should have gotten out around Moonraker at the latest. Later films suffered because of his old age over 55 filming A View to a Kill a great plot driven down because he could not do alot of the scenes anymore. Octopussy is the prime example of a film completely ruined by his age.

It did help A View To a Kill that they "showcased" the older supporting cast (Q, M and Moneypenny) in the field (the horserace) and he was given an older John Steed, somewhat, to team-up with. But, the new "younger" cast seemed to just amplify the age difference with Walken, Roberts and Jones, not to mention bit parts by Dolph Lundgren and Indiana Jones's Allison Doody.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rumor: Bond 25 Called Shatterhand; Features Blind Villain

Quote

According to a rumor reported by European tabloid site Mirror, the 25th Bond flick will be titled Shatterhand and will be based upon elements of the 2001 Bond novel Never Dream of Dying by Raymond Benson. If based heavily on that story, Bond will go up against a blind super villain leading an evil French organization called the Union, as he investigates a police raid gone deadly wrong. The femme fetale Bond girl in the film would be Tylyn Migonne, an actress and seductress with ties to the visually-impaired antagonist.

 

There is no confirmation of this rumor in any manner, and given that Mirror is a tabloid-based publication, everything here should be taken with a major grain of salt. The article also mentions that Christoph Waltz’s head of Spectre Ernst Blofeld and Dave Bautista’s Mr. Hinx could potentially return, providing additional carryover and connective tissue from the previous four Daniel Craig films that have defined his run as 007.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Given the almost limitless opportunities for schoolboy humour in that title, I'm doubtful hm

Hopeful, but doubtful.

Right? It's like calling a movie 'Octopussy'. Nuts!

(:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Right? It's like calling a movie 'Octopussy'. Nuts!

(:

Exactly. We had fun with that one back in the day, I can tell you (thumbsu

Shatt(in)erhand keeps the tradition alive I suppose!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Daniel Craig says "no decision has been made" regarding Bond 25

bond25fb1.jpg

Quote

After a bit of back-and-forth regarding Daniel Craig's involvement in the forthcoming BOND 25 film (and any other sequel for that matter), the English-born actor can come forward to clarify that "no official decision has been made" concerning his return to the franchise.


Tuesday morning, Craig participated in an interview with Boston Radio program Morning Magic 106.7 where the actor stated, "I'd hate to burst the bubble, but no decision has been made at the moment. There's a lot of noise out there and nothing official has been confirmed and I'm not, like, holding out for more money or doing anything like that. It's just all very personal decisions to be made at the moment," Craig announced. "I know they're desperate to get going and I would in theory love to do it, but there is no decision just yet." Well, if that doesn't stir (not shake) the drinks of Bond fans I don't know what will.

 

In addition to Craig being uncertain about his future in the Bond movie making business, it's being said that key elements of BOND 25 (even the film's director) are in a state of flux. For now, MGM and Eon have yet to land a U.S. studio partner, and this is after having talked with several after Sony's four picture deal came to an end with the release of SPECTRE. In an act of throwing another log on the raging Bond fire, earlier this month, Showtime CEO David Nevins stated that Craig's series PURITY has been delayed and won't be airing until after BOND 25's November 8, 2019 debut. To calrify, Nevins stated that, "He's doing Bond first and I can't say anything about what I know or don't know about Bond, [but] It's possible it may not shoot until 2019."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2017 at 2:09 PM, Bosco685 said:

Huh.

Benson's a better writer than Fleming and arguably a better plotter than Gardner.

But I wish they'd gone with the first of the "Union trilogy" rather than the third.

The first in that series, which introduces The Union and their blind leader Le Gerrant, was probably my favorite James Bond story ever.

It'd make for a decent film because, like Casino Royale, it's a quieter story.

After the first two action set pieces, the bulk of the story takes place during an ascent of (basically) K2 to retrieve the macguffin. It's essentially a psychological drama among three British intelligence agents during the climb -- featuring Bond, another officer, and a female doctor who sleeps with both of them.

Check it out. It'll give you the background on the Union and Le Gerrant as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3