• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips on pressing

83 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, kingjohn3 said:

Well everyone that does it had to learn somehow. I have too many old 70's books that are good candidates to be pressed. Not willing to let go of that kind of money if I can do it myself as long as the upfront cost isnt outrageous

Just being honest, these type of threads, asking for free advice on pressing, don't go over too well on these Boards. It will not end well. My advice is to use the search function as this has been discussed before. In between the sarcasm you may find a few nuggets of information.

26 minutes ago, kingjohn3 said:

Yeah the sarcasm is stong with some. Im definitely not looking to make this a business venture, just wanna learn how. Thanks for the heads up

I don't know about the previous threads or the details of the chemicals or whatever they used to do pressing... But I do think they say something about or it on sellmycomicbooks.com or at least I've seen that site advertising on Facebook... That's the only real answer I have..... as I've never done pressing before

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

If you look at the companies that offer pressing services the actual cost is very cheap.

IMHO your DIY method will cost you more then it would to send the books to the pros. It takes years to become skilled at anything many trial and error experiments but if your that interested look on YouTube. 

You need a dry press. Check out some SEAL commercial dry presses but any decent one will work. One that has a temp readout is preferable otherwise use the lowest setting.  Also, check out bp21-15.pdf.  Just google it and it will be at the top probably or search for practical considerations for humidifying paper.  There are a couple youtube videos to get you started.  Beyond that it is practice practice practice.  You won't get any help from folks who make money off of it.

I do pretty well but on high value books I send out to http://www.cfpcomics.com, Joe is on these boards and does a great job.  I personally do not like CSS.

1 hour ago, kingjohn3 said:

Thanks for the link! I've seen them on youtube while looking but I'll double check them

Here's a search on these boards returning Pressing in the thread title.  While nobody is eager to share information you can glean the basics from these threads.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/search/?&q=Pressing&type=forums_topic&search_in=titles&start_after=year&sortby=relevancy

58 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

SOME TIPS

• REMOVE THE COMIC FROM THE PLASTIC BAG
  • MAKE SURE THE PRESS MACHINE IS PLUGGED IN
  • TURN OFF WHEN DONE
  • REPEAT

You forgot to mention: DO NOT CRUSH THE SPINE

:baiting:

2 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

You need a dry press. Check out some SEAL commercial dry presses but any decent one will work. One that has a temp readout is preferable otherwise use the lowest setting.  

Bad advice. He is trying to save money. Not only expensive but a press will really consume the electricity. Here is a better technique, taking advantage of some established heat. Books come out perfect .

$_57.JPG

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Bad advice. He is trying to save money. Not only expensive but a press will really consume the electricity. Here is a better technique, taking advantage of some established heat. Books come out perfect .

$_57.JPG

Nice process!  I did get a press off of Craigslist for $175.  Given the number of books I have done it has more than paid for itself.  I think I have one of those GI Combats!

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

use the search function as this has been discussed before

I had a great (and informative) time lurking for A YEAR. Not sure I've even asked a question in my ~100 posts

I still love reading old threads just to soak up as much comic info as possible. This place is a treasure trove (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

I had a great (and informative) time lurking for A YEAR. Not sure I've even asked a question in my ~100 posts

I still love reading old threads just to soak up as much comic info as possible. This place is a treasure trove (thumbsu

That it is.