• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's Tales of the Comic Book Room
15 15

1,358 posts in this topic

Here are a few recent additions to the comic book room.  First is Crime Does Not Pay 46.  I got this from a person on the boards.  This Biro cover has got to be one of the most chilling covers ever, especially for parents.  I've been looking to get a copy for some time now.  There's a very nice looking 3.5 on Lone Star right now, that I almost bought a few times over the last year.  I'm kind of surprised CGC didn't give this one a purple grade given the hole punched through above the M.  But that hole helped me get a few dollars off, so I'm happy to have it.

IMG_2162.thumb.JPG.590925b38544bca732f49ec65fa123fb.JPG

Here are a couple GA GGA covers I recently got back from CGC.  I'm pretty happy with the grades.  Dogface #5 is a borderline classic cover, and I've always liked Comedy 4 as my kids lifeguard on the beach (although they don't wear makeup doing it!).

IMG_2164.thumb.JPG.0a2d01353b199aa0aa1846b2277bbf63.JPGIMG_2165.thumb.JPG.798e6d126f63ebca5f06a23af707e462.JPG

Edited by n2wdw

On 2/23/2019 at 11:57 AM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, many times. A long time friend of mine introduced us. As it turned out we had lots in common. Dave was a great guy that left us WAY too soon. 

On 3/4/2019 at 4:23 PM, n2wdw said:

You're very lucky.  I met him one time at a SDCC, but unfortunately that was the only time.

Speaking of Dave Stevens, I recently got back from CGC 2 comics to add to my Dave Stevens Covers registry set (I'm proud to say I've had the top position in this set for 2 years).  First is program from the 2002 Dallas Comic-Con.

IMG_2157.thumb.JPG.931cc35ef022739092dbe6e5cce16598.JPG

You may wonder how this is relevant to Dave Stevens, since the cover is by Lisner.  But, the Dave Stevens Cover set includes both front and back covers.  And for this program, the back cover is by Dave (a tribute to the Rocketeer).

IMG_2158.thumb.JPG.985cdf0f82927bf35eda28687b1f4203.JPG

The second comic is Venus Domina.  Very tough to get a high grade copy.  I've used the spoiler function to show the full cover, so I don't have to ruin the cover art with cut outs. 

Spoiler

IMG_2155.thumb.JPG.476f5ef4be8264a3b6e62b39dcc37002.JPG

Edited by n2wdw

On 3/17/2019 at 4:50 AM, n2wdw said:

Here are a few recent additions to the comic book room.  First is Crime Does Not Pay 46.  I got this from a person on the boards.  This Biro cover has got to be one of the most chilling covers ever, especially for parents.  I've been looking to get a copy for some time now.  There's a very nice looking 3.5 on Lone Star right now, that I almost bought a few times over the last year.  I'm kind of surprised CGC didn't give this one a purple grade given the hole punched through above the M.  But that hole helped me get a few dollars off, so I'm happy to have it.

IMG_2162.thumb.JPG.590925b38544bca732f49ec65fa123fb.JPG

Here are a couple GA GGA covers I recently got back from CGC.  I'm pretty happy with the grades.  Dogface #5 is a borderline classic cover, and I've always liked Comedy 4 as my kids lifeguard on the beach (although they don't wear makeup doing it!).

IMG_2164.thumb.JPG.0a2d01353b199aa0aa1846b2277bbf63.JPGIMG_2165.thumb.JPG.798e6d126f63ebca5f06a23af707e462.JPG

That Dogface is a classic in eyes and has been catching a lot of steam lately. You might say "it's got legs"  :roflmao:

The CDNP is also a sick classic. Those guys over at Lev Gleason were one weird bunch especially at the end. I would also put this one as very disturbing as well. Not the kid of books I would want my kids reading. Surprised the good doctor missed it.

comboy34.jpg

23 hours ago, Robot Man said:

That Dogface is a classic in eyes and has been catching a lot of steam lately. You might say "it's got legs"  :roflmao:

The CDNP is also a sick classic. Those guys over at Lev Gleason were one weird bunch especially at the end. I would also put this one as very disturbing as well. Not the kid of books I would want my kids reading. Surprised the good doctor missed it.

comboy34.jpg

Yeah, that's definitely a disturbing cover, even more so in today's world.

16 hours ago, mlansdown said:

Kids in bondage?  Snake assault?  Poison candy bars?  Ok, that's enough Internet for me today.

The Exciting Comics is chilling!  (Now it's on my want list, so what does that tell you about me?)

Yeh, I couldn't agree more with Jack on this one.  There are few of us that really dig these, but we do exist, and more show up over time.  To me, the photocovers, for the most part, represent a particular view of relationship, a slice of Americana that existed in the 50's - love and its natural extension, marriage, as an important cherished part of life.  Happier times, when our parents stayed together no matter what.  These covers portray an idealistic optimism that was rejected by the following generation, we Boomers, in favor of a more realistic cynicism. 

The Mile High photocovers are starting to roll out, no doubt the Verzyls letting go of the lowest hanging fruit first.  I recommend going heavy for the Fawcetts, which pound for pound are better than their Ace and Standard counterparts, both in terms of photo content and interior art, which blows the others away.  The quirky Marvel photocovers are in their own special category.

On 3/22/2019 at 3:33 PM, Dr. Love said:

Yeh, I couldn't agree more with Jack on this one.  There are few of us that really dig these, but we do exist, and more show up over time.  To me, the photocovers, for the most part, represent a particular view of relationship, a slice of Americana that existed in the 50's - love and its natural extension, marriage, as an important cherished part of life.  Happier times, when our parents stayed together no matter what.  These covers portray an idealistic optimism that was rejected by the following generation, we Boomers, in favor of a more realistic cynicism.

Dr. Love - Thanks for your post.  Your love of comics really shows!  I don't think I've ever read a better description of any kind of comics!

On 3/22/2019 at 3:33 PM, Dr. Love said:

The Mile High photocovers are starting to roll out, no doubt the Verzyls letting go of the lowest hanging fruit first.  I recommend going heavy for the Fawcetts, which pound for pound are better than their Ace and Standard counterparts, both in terms of photo content and interior art, which blows the others away.  The quirky Marvel photocovers are in their own special category.

Do you know where/when these comics are being offered?  For me personally, I haven't got to the point where I'm collecting my publisher.  Although, I might evolve into that if my collection of photocovers gets big enough and I have to start focusing.

I thought I'd post all the Valkyrie covers in my collection -- I have a total of 3 at this moment.  I actually don't know how many exist.  I probably should go through Gerber and make a want list.  In fact, I think I will do that the next time I'm in my comic room at the beach house.

Air Fighters v2 #2 with the first appearance of Valkyrie still ranks as one of my best all time comic purchases.  I got it at a Baltimore con a few years ago.  It was ungraded and on the dealer's wall, but I don't think he knew what he had.  I threw out an offer and he took it.  Baltimore is a great con, but I've only been able to go that one time because of other life commitments (even though I live relatively close).

430293128_AirFightersComics19CGC5_0575.thumb.JPG.049dfe172647a46698206493c82a318e.JPG1494368122_AirboyV3671.thumb.jpg.69bf968f2c299d29d1e6ffa058ebf932.jpg2075133171_AirFighters14v22CGC6_5150.jpg.9e0bfd619d25afda554dfdb056d4b197.jpg

I got into Airboy from the Eclipse series in the 80s.   It was only later that I became a fan of Dave Stevens, and I realized that he too had an appreciation of Valkyrie.  Here's Airboy 5 of the Eclipse series, with Dave's homage to Valkyrie's first golden age appearance.  I've always been struck by Dave's version.  In the original, Valkyrie stands over Airboy.  The same is true in Dave's version.  But in his version, Airboy isn't chained, and he's gripping Valkyrie's boot.  The 2 compositions are similar, but in Dave's version there's so much more tension.  What a great talent!

1708338995_Airboy5CGC9.8.jpg.de2b43aceafa2ff664d3f7e4419da705.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

3 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Dr. Love - Thanks for your post.  Your love of comics really shows!  I don't think I've ever read a better description of any kind of comics!

Do you know where/when these comics are being offered?  For me personally, I haven't got to the point where I'm collecting my publisher.  Although, I might evolve into that if my collection of photocovers gets big enough and I have to start focusing.

HA tomorrow Sunday night.  That's where the Mile High romance appears to be coming out.  There will be a lot more of it over time, Church had hundreds and hundreds.  We should be seeing whatever landed with John Verzyl.

It's always interesting to see how your collecting tastes evolve, Mike.  Thanks for sharing it all with us!

6 hours ago, n2wdw said:

I actually don't know how many exist.

Missing only one.

https://www.comics.org/issue/5617/cover/4/

South Beach, Miami

This past weekend, the wife and I went to South Beach.  We needed some relaxing as we're trying to sell our house, and that's one of the most stressful things you can do in your life (according to things I've read).  We mostly stayed by the pool, so here's our views the last few days.

IMG_8384.thumb.jpg.90bd620d82ed4c6bd0448c3c65e9fc9e.jpgIMG_8383.thumb.jpg.7fdcf663cbbd47e91c5cb71e2eda14c5.jpg

Mostly we did nothing, other than sitting in the sun by the pool, and eating and drinking.  I love avocados; here's the avocado toast with a poached egg I got for breakfast one day.

IMG_8357.thumb.jpg.1795ecd02fea8c74e574acf0d0d53047.jpg

Here's a smoked Manhattan from dinner one night.  They do it the same way I do.  You get a slab of wood, put on a small pile of wood chips, fire up the wood chips, and then put the glass over the smoke.  The glass extinguishes the flame, and then you turn the glass over and pour in the drink (which you mixed while the glass was being smoked).

IMG_8364.thumb.jpg.e4152cd610bdca496aa97d7947cd89a5.jpg

This is something I covet for my bar.

IMG_8381.thumb.jpg.9ed0ffc6aecb3dae3990c7491ccaacac.jpg