• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's Tales of the Comic Book Room
15 15

1,358 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Great book! I finally finished off these Schomburg Miss Masque covers. Now, I have to work on some upgrades.

I hardly get anything off eBay any more. Not much I want and prices get pretty silly on what I want. Good to sell good stuff there but not so good to buy good stuff...

I hear you.  I find it all depends on who happens to be shopping at the moment.  I buy more here though, than on eBay.

6 hours ago, Point Five said:

Great score on the AB #25! :headbang:  I think you got that at a super price for the eye appeal. You never see that one for sale.

Thanks!  I might actually send this one in for press/grading.  I've never pressed a book but this one seems like a decent candidate.

On 9/21/2017 at 6:38 PM, n2wdw said:

New Bakers From CGC

Last week I got these 2 Bakers from CGC.  His full cover, "romantic" covers with no lettering (other than the titles) are among my favorites.

59c43f44c57db_GoingSteady11CGC3.0.thumb.JPG.db0803de3d593365ec439387f2fec052.JPG

59c43f4867634_Teen-AgeRomances42CGC4.5405b.thumb.JPG.87965b0dceeeafc398ba1d4ed4988dd2.JPG

The no word balloons or lettering are my favorites too  !!

What a Great Sunday!

This weekend was pretty boring comic-wise.  Nothing really happening on the boards, or eBay.  Then things changed fast and it turned out to be a great Sunday!

First, as I mentioned already, I won this Schomburg on eBay.  This by itself made it a good weekend, but then things got much better.

s-l1600.thumb.png.9d22dd8a36437ab683eeafd2573bbcaf.png

I was waiting for the Sunday game to start (I'm a Redskins fan), and things were so slow on the CGC marketplace, that I browsed Heritage's Sunday auction.  Usually I don't, because of Heritage's high buyer commission.  But I ended up winning Freckles #5 for a good price (even with the buyer's commission).  I've always liked this cover.

lf.thumb.jpg.08d9c3a5a6d79d10ab85ab85e9b72936.jpg

So with those 2 books, it was a great Sunday.  Then things go even better when @jimjum12 posted new books in his September thread.  Jim always has great books at reasonable prices, and this was no exception.  First, I dropped a flag on this book.  It was an impulse buy because I liked the cover, but no biggie because it's not really something I collect.  But then things got really good!

1.thumb.jpg.068fa3e378c142c50367bfb426630e62.jpg

Jim next offered Rangers 38.  This is the classic hanging cover, and I've been looking for a nice presenting copy for a long time.  I was so excited I responded with just "take" instead of "take it."

2.thumb.jpg.973caaa861d9688e9632cdd483abc6a1.jpg

Then Jimbo offered Gangsters Can't Win #3.  Talk about great GGA (and a reminder to watch out how you get out of a car if you're wearing a dress).  This book is rarely offered.  Luckily I was closely watching Jim's posts so I was able to get my flag in.

3.thumb.jpg.d2ede24bca31f550f8e511d3cb20eb5c.jpg

Then finally, Jim offered Weird Science 20.  This is not a rare book (there are many copies on eBay), but Jim's was a nice copy at a reasonable price.  So, FIVE major pickups, all grails for me.  They turned a slow weekend to a great one.

4.jpg.a9db745600486232703372e6b6e5cc23.jpg

A Redskins fan ?..............I knew I liked you for a reason :cloud9: My Uncle was on the same team with Sonny Jurgensen back in High School .... so the Skins are family tradition for us.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a fiend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/7/2017 at 11:39 AM, n2wdw said:

You're right, I'm space limited.  To deal with that, I've had to make choices about what to collect.

For example, I've pretty much stopped collecting Star Wars and Star Trek action figures.  For Star Trek, I'm limiting my collection to just the Playmates figures, and not all of them.  I've capped my Star Wars collection in a similar manner -- I've essentially picked an arbitrary point and not collecting anything after that point.  The same is true for DC Direct, Marvel Legends, etc. 

As for comics, I'm not buying anything new (with a few exceptions, like Terry Moore and Optic Nerve).  I am buying old stuff though.  Some of my projects are:

• Completing Tomb of Dracula (just need 1, 3, 7 and 33)
  • Completing Strange Tales - all the issues after Dr. Strange's 1st appearance (need 9 more issues)
  • Completing Tales of Suspense - all the issues after Iron Man's 1st appearance (need 18 more)
  • Getting all the early appearances of the Teen Titans

But this doesn't take more space, as there's room in the existing long boxes.  I'm also focused right now on GGA and keys, but I have a lot of room on shelves for both CGC books and raw.

A storage issue I have in the future is what to do with my miscellaneous comic alphabet (12 long boxes), magazines (8 mag boxes) and CGC boxes (about 12 of them).  I think I can fit the CGC boxes in closets of our beach house.  The other stuff will probably have to go in a storage unit somewhere. 

It's nice to see someone so into so many different things.  Thanks for sharing. 

NY Comicon Report 1

This week I'm going to NY Comicon for the first time.  I'm attending Thursday - Saturday, and I'm going with 2 of my daughters who are into cosplaying. 

I have no idea what to expect from this con.  I hear it's the biggest comicon after San Diego.  I have no idea if that's true.  The biggest cons I've been to so far in my life are San Diego and WW Chicago.  And lately, probably the best con I've been to just for comics is Baltimore.  How will NY compare?  That will be part of this report.

So far though, logistically, NY is better than SD in 2 respects.  First, it was relatively easy to get tickets.  You had to be on-line the moment they went on sale, but compared to SDCC, it was easy (and we got Thursday - Saturday tickets for me and my 2 daughters).   Second, it was super easy to get a hotel room within walking distance of the con.  As we all know, SDCC has a lottery and everyone wants to get a room in Gaslamp.  The hotel lottery is as competitive as the ticket lottery (or more so).  But, NYC has so many hotels, it wasn't a problem.  I got an inexpensive room at the Four Points just 2 blocks from the Javits center (see map below).  I didn't have to hustle through a lottery, I just went on the Starwood website to get my room (and I got points for it).  So score 2 for NY over SD.

Capture2.thumb.JPG.06917e7ad80dd00be3ef6d7d25ee7021.JPG

I don't have any collecting goals for NY.  I've spent so much lately on the boards (blame @Ricksneatstuff and @jimjum12 -- just kidding guys), not sure what my budget will be for NY.  I'll probably go for some autographs.  I'd like a nice piece of original art as I have a perfect place to hang it.  Maybe fill a hole or 2.  But not sure I'll be going for grails, as I find the internet is a better place to shop.  But, that'll be part of my report too.  And I'll try to post wall pictures.

I love New York.  Especially the restaurants.  My 2 daughters will be busy with their friends once the con starts (they are college age), but I've reserved Thursday night with them.  I plan to take them to one of my favorite restaurants, Quality Meats.  The other nights I might be on my own.  I'm cool with that.  I travel for business a lot so I'm used to eating alone, and in NY it's no hardship.  My favorite all time basketball player is Walt Frazier, and it turns out he has a restaurant a couple blocks from my hotel.  So I'll definitely be hitting his place.

Capture.thumb.JPG.44e6ea620d436f5876e6c32829ddaefc.JPG

Edited by n2wdw

You will enjoy NYCC.  I have attended SDCC 25 times and NYCC six times.  i will be attending NYCC this year and will be also be eating at Quality Meats with my hostess and her husband.  Be certain to make a reservation for Quality Meats, otherwise you have to wait and eat odd hours.  One time, without a reservation, the wait was two hours.

Don't buy all the good stuff.  Leave some for us old slow coots.

Edited by BitterOldMan

6 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

You will enjoy NYCC.  I have attended SDCC 25 times and NYCC six times.  i will be attending NYCC this year and will be also be eating at Quality Meats with my hostess and her husband.  Be certain to make a reservation for Quality Meats, otherwise you have to wait and eat odd hours.  One time, without a reservation, the wait was two hours.

Don't buy all the good stuff.  Leave some for us old slow coots.

Thanks for reminding me about the reservation.  I did have one, but I had to switch it from Friday to Thursday. 

3 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
1 hour ago, n2wdw said:

Thanks for reminding me about the reservation.  I did have one, but I had to switch it from Friday to Thursday. 

Quality Meats :x

Hard to get a reservation but Il Mulino is amazing too. 

..... and if all that fails, there's always Famous Ray's :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

10 hours ago, szavisca said:

That's super cool that your girls are going with you... I hope I'm that lucky when my 3 year old and 1 year old get to that age.  If you ask my oldest what she thought of the (Phoenix) comic book convention she starts talking about all the escalators ... but she does want to go back next year she says...

Yeah, kids actually get more interesting as they get older (although you don't get many hugs anymore).  My 2 daughters who are going to NY are both in college. Both are into cosplay.  One, because she loves anime and likes to dress in character, and the other because she's a videographer.  They recently went to Colossalcon East and here's my daughter's video.  It's really amazing the con outside the con.  Many of these kids don't even buy a ticket.  I guess they call it lobby-conning (sorry if I sound like an old fart).  They are more than happy to go with Dad to this con, as I got them tickets.  I'm also paying for the hotel, travel to NY, and food.   They want me to take them to SDCC.  They don't understand how hard it is to get tickets.  But, if I do someday make it back to SDCC, it will be to take them.