• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's Tales of the Comic Book Room
15 15

1,358 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm not sure you picked the best route.  10th Avenue isn't very scenic -- to say the least! Maybe walk down to 5th Avenue and then uptown.  Takes you by Bryant Park, the 5th Avenue shops, and Rockefeller Center. 

Walking in Manhattan, the uptown blocks are short and sweet, but the cross-town blocks are killers.

But, I want to go by Trump Tower (not!)

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Let's order out! :idea:

If I have time I'm going to Carnegie Deli.  Here are my onion rings and corned beef on rye from a past visit.

IMG_0092.thumb.JPG.2938e2fa4b9653925667d4359ab67eee.JPG

IMG_0094.thumb.JPG.26af9bf459747f823897fbfa4554eacc.JPG

And I love NYC's food trucks.  I'll be hitting them for breakfast.  Grab a sausage, egg and cheese on a bun and a Diet Coke for a five (with change back) on the way to the con.

IMG_1008.thumb.JPG.f51973fd58ff33f551acb2f99523552d.JPG

4 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

If I have time I'm going to Carnegie Deli.  Here are my onion rings and corned beef on rye from a past visit.

And I love NYC's food trucks.  I'll be hitting them for breakfast.  Grab a sausage, egg and cheese on a bun and a Diet Coke for a five (with change back) on the way to the con.

Alas, the Carnegie Deli closed last year.  You can always try Katz's. 

19 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

I can leave the onion rings but that corned beef samich looks killer!

34 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I can leave the onion rings but that corned beef samich looks killer!

A Dodgers fan and now you don't like onion rings.  I'm not sure about you Robot.

NY Comicon Report 4 - Planning for Panels

(I guess I should call these pre-con reports, but I hate it when they re-start titles at #1, so that's why I'm going with consecutive, uninterrupted numbering.)

Tomorrow is the big start of the con.  I'm driving up from VA and picking up my daughter in Philly, where she attends college.  Then we head to NYC.  My other daughter is flying in from Pittsburgh, where she goes to college.  We'll spend the afternoon at the con, then go to Quality Meats for dinner.

I have to admit I'm getting excited for this con.  Well, I get excited for all cons, even the small local cons.  But this is more like, SDCC excited.  The only other con I've felt this way about was the first WW Chicago con that I attended a few years ago, because growing up the big cons for me were San Diego, Chicago and Atlanta.  I've been to Atlanta once, when I was in my 20s.  It was okay but nothing like San Diego. 

I've been to Chicago a few times.  It's okay, I had fun.  But it's not San Diego.  (Also, while it might be the best Wizard World con, it's still a WW con, so while fun, it has a low ceiling on how good it can be.)

I guess I would add Emerald City to the list of big cons.  I haven't been yet.  I definitely want to go someday.

So now back to NY.  It does have that SDCC feel to it.  But the San Diego of a few years ago, where it wasn't impossible to get tickets, and the panels were crowded but not impossible to get into.  Also, while I like San Diego, NYC is better, at least for a visit.  If I had to pick someplace to live, I'd pick SD.  But for a weekend, I'd go with NYC.

We'll see about the con.  I'll probably be disappointed.  But a bad day at a con is still a pretty good day.

I'm going through the list of panels, trying to put together my schedule.  Something I won't be attending is "An Evening with Mark Hamill."  I like MarK Hamill, but it's an add-on pay event and I don't want to pay.  Not that he needs my money-- below is the seat map, and you can see it's almost sold out.  The cheap seats are $129.  If you buy a front row seat (there are 8 left), you get: "Get a Orchestra Row A ticket to this Jedi Masterpiece, and after the show you’ll be able to get an autograph and a photo with Hamill Himself! Autographs can be on a provided 8x10 or on an item you bring with you, and photos will be taken with your phone or camera on stage!"  This ticket only costs -- wait for it -- $1499.  Uh, no. I love ya Yedi Master but I think I'll pass.

Capture.thumb.JPG.b3db33b2e8221072d0e993a42a106fdd.JPG

45 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I sure miss the days of going to a con with a hundred bucks and coming home with a stack of books and a Jack Kirby autograph...

Have fun Mike!

And I remember getting Stan's autograph for free, and a head sketch by Archie Goodwin, both at the same small con in Washington DC.  Yeah, the good old days.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I sure miss the days of going to a con with a hundred bucks and coming home with a stack of books and a Jack Kirby autograph...

Have fun Mike!

Those were the days, a stack and a couple autographs to make a fanboy smile all the way home :luhv:

NY Comicon Report 5 - Things I Want But Can't Afford

Well, the first day of the con is in the books.  I got to the con at about 1pm Thursday and stayed until about 430pm (I had to do some work).  It is very crowded here, stifling so at times.  They also have the con spread across 4 venues.  Artist alley, while in the Javits Center, is a long walk from the dealer's room (the walk made even longer by the crowds). 

Still though, yesterday was productive.  I managed to see the 2 artists I most wanted to see, Terry Moore and Joe Benitez.  Also, I set up a few commissions.  I'm debating whether to get a commission by Tim Sale.  He's pricey, so we'll see.

IMG_0460.thumb.JPG.7eee4a4e7ebf403d4465b8ad4cc0a345.JPG

Here are a few things I saw that I won't be buying, unfortunately.  Anthony has this Steranko on sale.  I very much want it.  It's perfect for an empty space I have in my wall.  But at $12,000 it's way outside what I have budgeted for this show.

IMG_0434.thumb.JPG.a0c57addc08a2ffc1ce9b3bbca87af55.JPG

This Terrific Comics is high on my want list.  The dealer has it at $4500.  Honestly I'm not sure if that's a good price, but it's outside my budget so doesn't really matter.

IMG_0455.thumb.JPG.ffcb5c37d88f9678078ca3b756063a45.JPG

Crimes Does Not Pay 24 is also high on my want list.  I'm actually tempted by this.  It's in rough shape but the cover art presents well.   The dealer has it at $2000 and he is firm.  Seems high to me but it's hard to tell because they are rarely offered.   If you think $2000 is a fair price I'd be very interested to know.

IMG_0456.thumb.JPG.c463cde591504886230ddde4867810e1.JPG

4 hours ago, n2wdw said:

NY Comicon Report 5 - Things I Want But Can't Afford

Well, the first day of the con is in the books.  I got to the con at about 1pm Thursday and stayed until about 430pm (I had to do some work).  It is very crowded here, stifling so at times.  They also have the con spread across 4 venues.  Artist alley, while in the Javits Center, is a long walk from the dealer's room (the walk made even longer by the crowds). 

Still though, yesterday was productive.  I managed to see the 2 artists I most wanted to see, Terry Moore and Joe Benitez.  Also, I set up a few commissions.  I'm debating whether to get a commission by Tim Sale.  He's pricey, so we'll see.

IMG_0460.thumb.JPG.7eee4a4e7ebf403d4465b8ad4cc0a345.JPG

Here are a few things I saw that I won't be buying, unfortunately.  Anthony has this Steranko on sale.  I very much want it.  It's perfect for an empty space I have in my wall.  But at $12,000 it's way outside what I have budgeted for this show.

IMG_0434.thumb.JPG.a0c57addc08a2ffc1ce9b3bbca87af55.JPG

This Terrific Comics is high on my want list.  The dealer has it at $4500.  Honestly I'm not sure if that's a good price, but it's outside my budget so doesn't really matter.

IMG_0455.thumb.JPG.ffcb5c37d88f9678078ca3b756063a45.JPG

Crimes Does Not Pay 24 is also high on my want list.  I'm actually tempted by this.  It's in rough shape but the cover art presents well.   The dealer has it at $2000 and he is firm.  Seems high to me but it's hard to tell because they are rarely offered.   If you think $2000 is a fair price I'd be very interested to know.

IMG_0456.thumb.JPG.c463cde591504886230ddde4867810e1.JPG

I like Tim Sales sign. He spells it right out to you. I also love it that he will sign 2 books for free (for real fans!). The CDNP is a great book. It's hard for me to sale if it is a "great deal". It is one that everybody wants so the price reflects this. What is it worth to you? I doubt you would lose money if you needed to sell it in a couple years. I would consider it...

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I like Tim Sales sign. He spells it right out to you. I also love it that he will sign 2 books for free (for real fans!). The CDNP is a great book. It's hard for me to sale if it is a "great deal". It is one that everybody wants so the price reflects this. What is it worth to you? I doubt you would lose money if you needed to sell it in a couple years. I would consider it...

Bob Storm has a 6.0 CDNP 24 on his website.