• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2023 at 6:36 PM, gadzukes said:

Groot's last line.

Hide contents

Never mind.... I'll discuss when more people have seen the movie.

Spoiler

You mean the part where he actually speaks English?  I believe Gunn has said that he's still saying "I Am Groot" only the viewers are now familiar enough with these characters that they can understand him.

On 5/7/2023 at 11:49 PM, Beige said:

@gadzukes 

Thats a spoiler, maybe delete it buddy.

If he used a spoiler tag, then there was nothing wrong with it.  You interpreting "last line" is you forming opinions based on the tone of the trailers and what others have said here.  Someone walking out of the theater could just as easily say "Mantis' last line", "Gamora's last line", "Drax's last line."  The movie has to end, the characters have to say something last.  Doesn't mean there's anything nefarious about it.

On 5/8/2023 at 11:56 AM, Bosco685 said:

The Critical Drinker just seems to dislike movies and TV shows. But he makes for a good laugh.

I feel early on his trailer reactions always rode the Marvel hype train HARD.  Like, he fanboyed excessively.  Has he turned heel and now craps on everything?  (sorry, didn't watch a 15 minute reaction video).

On 5/8/2023 at 3:44 PM, jsilverjanet said:

@Bosco685 what i really want to talk about is that Marvels trailer - oh my what a mess that is going to be

Might be the first MCU film I don't see in theaters.  Just haven't been a fan the way Carol is portrayed, nor do I like Captain Marvels power set.  Even less of a fan of Ms. Marvel which I stopped with 2 episodes to go and only finished because a friend said I needed to see the end credits as it tied into the movie.

On 5/10/2023 at 7:25 AM, Capn17 said:
  Hide contents

is why was the villain the same as the kid, Sid, from Toy Story that like to create weird version of toys. Instead of toys, animals. Didn't quite understand the goal of some of his animal "modifications".

I dunno, what was the goal of some of the Borg modifications?  Nature itself is about evolution.  You try one modification, realize it's ineffective, and then do another modification.  Eventually you come across something that works.  But you don't know what works until you do a bunch of stuff that doesn't work.

On 5/11/2023 at 1:06 AM, gadzukes said:

Warlock can be tweaked in a future Guardians movie.  I don't think all is lost.  But.... he really didn't need to be in this movie.

I can see what they were going for in the film, but I hope there’s some event later on that pushes him in the direction of Starlin’s characterisation and destroys his current naivety and superficiality, creating a much deeper and more interesting character.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/11/2023 at 4:38 PM, aardvark88 said:

Hope MCU can tweak in Quasar, Darkhawk and Peter Quill

Two out of three there.

On 5/9/2023 at 1:54 AM, MattTheDuck said:

a villain who is irredeemably evil in every way is not as effective

He was great in this film at chewing millions of dollars’ worth of scenery. Totally over-the-top hysterics.

First Marvel Studios film I’ve seen since Endgame, and a good choice.  There’s probably enough darkly-toned material in the film without including classic, Starlin Warlock as well. So, in that respect, I can understand the balance Gunn went for. The second act dragged a bit, but it came back strong in the final section, and overall I quite liked it.

On 5/12/2023 at 4:02 PM, Ken Aldred said:

First Marvel Studios film I’ve seen since Endgame, and a good choice.  There’s probably enough darkly-toned material in the film without including classic, Starlin Warlock as well. So, in that respect, I can understand the balance Gunn went for. The second act dragged a bit, but it came back strong in the final section, and overall I quite liked it.

It was good. I'm so happy I liked it. It's been a dark *snap* since Endgame. Because it didn't suck, I'm willing to accept placeholder Warlock for now. The long snap taught me patience. 

TupennyConan, MZ*

*Marvel Zombie

Edited by TupennyConan
spelling

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and Super Mario Bros Movie are lording the top spots. The Marvel Cinematic Universe threequel is seeing a $15M second Friday, -69%, for a 3-day of $54M-$55M (-54%) at 4,450 locations. The second weekend hold isn’t that far from GOTG2‘s and GOTG‘s weekend 2 of -55%, however, the former pic’s second weekend was higher at $65.2M while GOTG did $42.1M. GOTG3‘s running tally by Sunday is looking to hit $207.9M.

2c >$300M US on tap, w/ 40/60% split >$750M WW

Edited by paperheart

On 5/8/2023 at 8:54 PM, MattTheDuck said:
On 5/8/2023 at 2:30 PM, drotto said:

Animal scenes may be too intense for some

I'll tell you, this is the thing that's probably going to keep me from going to see this again in the theater.  I may be able to work myself up to it once it's on DIS+ but we'll see. I would just say again that a villain who is irredeemably evil in every way is not as effective.

This is something I would want to discuss more, but I understand its hard without spoilers, and I won't spoil it here, but going at it indirectly, its significant to me in a Disney context specifically, ie. Disney is the company with the history of animation that made "talking animals" human like and capable of capturing our sympathy...this is arguable I realize, but just off the top of my head I want to say that Disney invented the "animals are people too" connection. Not long ago I read a thread here talking about Bambi, and everyone is admitting to crying about it (I sympathize) and I think something like Rocket's story in the movie is really dystopian Disney...its like Disney goes to a really really dark place with the animals. Its not like somebody shot Rocket's mom...its far worse than that...and I saw it with my son who is 12, and he was old enough, and had watched enough stuff already to be able to handle it, but it is really intense...it is to the credit of the movie that it is taken seriously, but I would here think about the age of the viewers...I found it really emotional...and its not just certain scenes...its the build up that really works on the heart strings...that's how I experienced it anyway...

On 5/12/2023 at 3:49 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I can see what they were going for in the film, but I hope there’s some event later on that pushes him in the direction of Starlin’s characterisation and destroys his current naivety and superficiality, creating a much deeper and more interesting character.

Maybe the stone on his forehead gets "activated" and his IQ goes up by 100 points.

On 5/12/2023 at 9:35 AM, paperheart said:

image.png.4d30473f08b13adf0646cdafbdc01ca0.png

First Thursday nearly matched GOTG2's after trailing opening weekend by 20%;  even with Mother's Day, could be looking at one of the better % holds for MCU #CinemaScoreMatters

The weekend box office continues to be a place of haves and have-nots with Disney/Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 posting the best second weekend holds for a Marvel Cinematic Universe title post-pandemic at a great -51% with $58M.

2c #5 overall, forget about post pandemic nonsense

Edited by paperheart

On 5/13/2023 at 11:50 PM, drotto said:

6. Humor that actually works, and is not forced. More importantly humor that was not forced in at inopportune moments.

Yup. At first I was surprised by the melancholic tone, but then was thankful that Gunn didn't try to up the humour and fail as hard as the last Thor movie did. Good judgement.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/13/2023 at 7:19 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. At first I was surprised by the melancholic tone, but then was thankful that Gunn didn't try to up the humour and fail as hard as the last Thor movie did.

The bit of melancholy fits though.   It respesents a family moving on to the next phase of their lives.  By nature that is bittersweet. It is sad for what is being left behind, but hopeful for what the future may bring.

On 5/14/2023 at 12:22 AM, drotto said:

The bit of melancholy fits though.   It respesents a family moving on to the next phase of their lives.  By nature that is bittersweet. It is sad for what is being left behind, but hopeful for what the future may bring.

Absolutely.