• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2023 at 5:17 PM, ExNihilo said:

Where are you going that tickets are $30?  I feel $20 for XD/IMAX or whatever the high resolution/quality screens are is about the norm.  Standard viewings were like $15.  Also, paying concession prices is a choice.  I don't think I've paid at a concession stand in 30 years.

You can go the cheap route and pay $8 for a matinee (which I’ve done a bunch of times but usually in the winter when it sucks to be outside).  I just can’t go through all the time and effort to go to the theater and not at least get popcorn and a drink.  It can be done on the cheap but they have essentially raised prices so much that it is not affordable to the masses which was its appeal for decades.

Not a fan overall. Didn't like the music choices they didn't fit except for Beastie Boys. While I like the attempt
to do High Evolutionary it just didn't work. Rockets origin just went on and on I thought.

The 2nd half of the film got better. Adam Warlock was just a wasted character. It just didn't have those fun 
scenes the first two movies did I thought. I think from here out I will wait a week for reviews. I didnt see Ant-Man
and dont feel I missed anything. 

On 5/7/2023 at 8:24 AM, media_junkie said:

I'm guessing he is talking about him and his wife and girlfriend 2x $15 for $30.  

(tsk)

While there may not be a 

On 5/7/2023 at 5:18 AM, Bosco685 said:

While there may not be a Volume 4, keep in mind that certain characters are "infinite" like Chewbacca and can show up in many new projects for decades to come if Marvel so chooses.  All you need is someone to imitate their voice.   The Red Skull is a perfect example of this as Ross Marquand took over the role from a departing Hugo Weaving.  

Eventually I could see an "event" phase where we have a Galactus problem or like when Marvel Cosmic was involved with the Annihilation Conquest.  When that happens and you introduce Galactus and Silver Surfer and the Fantastic Four I would look for some of these characters to return.  Heck, I would look for a few Guardians to show up in Secret Wars. 

There just won't be a Volume 4. 

On 5/7/2023 at 11:10 AM, Buzzetta said:

While there may not be a 

While there may not be a Volume 4, keep in mind that certain characters are "infinite" like Chewbacca and can show up in many new projects for decades to come if Marvel so chooses.  All you need is someone to imitate their voice.   The Red Skull is a perfect example of this as Ross Marquand took over the role from a departing Hugo Weaving.  

Eventually I could see an "event" phase where we have a Galactus problem or like when Marvel Cosmic was involved with the Annihilation Conquest.  When that happens and you introduce Galactus and Silver Surfer and the Fantastic Four I would look for some of these characters to return.  Heck, I would look for a few Guardians to show up in Secret Wars. 

thanks-obvious.gif.2fc46954f0ea946d58b9a2a960bbd06b.gif

:baiting:

So...opening to $114 million domestic - and probably closer to $117-$118 million actuals due to the positive WOM.

Is that good or bad?

Honest question, because I'm not sure what the expectations were for this film.

But it's $30+ million less than both Guardians 2 and Super Mario Bros.

On 5/7/2023 at 11:59 AM, Gatsby77 said:

So...opening to $114 million domestic - and probably closer to $117-$118 million actuals due to the positive WOM.

Is that good or bad?

Honest question, because I'm not sure what the expectations were for this film.

But it's $30+ million less than both Guardians 2 and Super Mario Bros.

Mid-April Deadline had the domestic projection at $130M

DEADLINE (4/13/23): ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3’ Tracking To $130M U.S. Opening

Disney/Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 landed on tracking today before its summer-season launch date of Friday, May 5, and it’s looking like a $130M domestic start. That’s lower than the $146.5M stateside opening of 2017’s Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2, which also kicked off summer, and distribution sources specify that the campaign for GOTG3 hasn’t really fired up to its full potential yet. Hence, there’s nothing to worry about. The highest domestic opening for a Marvel Studios movie post-pandemic belongs to Sony’s Spider-Man: No Way Home ($260.1M). After that, it’s Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, which started summer last year with $187.4M.

But now Deadline will adjust what it predicted, and note GotG Vol. 3 met projections.

On 5/7/2023 at 12:11 PM, paperheart said:

FTFY

That's probably more likely the story.

"In a post-pandemic box office period, amazingly James Gunn's GotG Vol. 3 exceeded expectations!"

Ok, so we got $114 million (give or take), let's see how strong the legs are on this one.  Will word of mouth help or not really make much of a difference?  Disney/Marvel is going to be waiting on "pins and needles" for next weekend.

On 5/7/2023 at 8:10 AM, Buzzetta said:

While there may not be a 

Basically Gunn is saying Marvel is free to do another movie, he just won't be the one behind the Directors chair (unless they pay him enough).  Same is true with the cast.  I imagine we'll get a break from GotG films, but eventually we'll get another.  It certainly won't be titled "Vol4" and will most likely be titled Guardians of the Galaxy and have a sub-title (a la: Thor: Love and Thunder, or Avengers: Endgame, etc).

On 5/7/2023 at 2:20 PM, ExNihilo said:

Basically Gunn is saying Marvel is free to do another movie, he just won't be the one behind the Directors chair (unless they pay him enough).  Same is true with the cast.  I imagine we'll get a break from GotG films, but eventually we'll get another.  It certainly won't be titled "Vol4" and will most likely be titled Guardians of the Galaxy and have a sub-title (a la: Thor: Love and Thunder, or Avengers: Endgame, etc).

This.

It's been 6 years since Vol. 2.

I could absolutely see them bringing back the cast for a "reunion" or semi-reboot (introducing the next generation) in 7-8 years.

We're talking 2030...