• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2023 at 10:21 AM, Axelrod said:

I will take the "over" on this one.  How much over remains to be seen.  

On 5/14/2023 at 10:54 AM, paperheart said:

With Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 repping the best second weekend hold for a Marvel Cinematic Universe title post-pandemic at -49% with $60M+

again, forget post-pandemic, this will be 4th best 2nd weekend hold of any MCU movie: >$750M assured, should hit $800M

So I'm going to win my bet!

On 4/20/2023 at 3:59 PM, media_junkie said:

$750 million max.

For reference:  The person I was betting against  :nyah:

(he did not accept this bet, it was 1-sided)

On 5/14/2023 at 8:28 AM, paperheart said:

even better hold Int'l :flipbait:, trilogy will do $2.5B+ WW BO

image.png.8ce16005ed4322e3b52a6a6a0f3eb827.png

"900MM+"?  Yeah I don't know about that.  This ain't last year when only one big movie came out every 4-6 weeks.   This would have to absolutely bury Fast and Furious alive worldwide to hit that number.  

-J.

On 5/14/2023 at 12:29 PM, Jaydogrules said:

"900MM+"?  Yeah I don't know about that.  This ain't last year when only one big movie came out every 4-6 weeks.   This would have to absolutely bury Fast and Furious alive worldwide to hit that number.  

-J.

Still think the $750 is going to be fairly accurate.  Competition gets more intense the rest of the summer. 

On 5/14/2023 at 5:30 PM, media_junkie said:

Yeah, I think I may have been on the low side by a just a bit.  :shiftyeyes:

But it is still not going to be a billion dollar film. I do think the $750 million ballpark is looking accurate.

On 5/14/2023 at 6:46 PM, Straw-Man said:

makes no sense that it’ll be 200m short of doc 2, and WITH china!

Opening weekend was $450 million WW for MoM, for G3 was $289 million WW.  Second weekend for G3 is around $142 million WW. Second weekend for Mom was around $149 million. Yes, G3 had a vastly better hold, but its numbers are actually behind MoM for both weekends given that MoM had a much larger opening (my number may be off just doing this on drop percentages from returns). G3 also has much stiffer competition coming up in the next few weeks, and it has a $165 million gap to start with. So lets be generous and say it tracks similar to MoM from her on out, and even makes up a bit of that gap, it is still likely this film tops out under $800 million. So yes, $200 million behind MoM may be a bit pessimistic, but I do not see how this film catches MoM.

Just trying to look at this realistically, because I really like this film, for me it was the best since Infinity War.

On 5/14/2023 at 4:05 PM, drotto said:

Just trying to look at this realistically, because I really like this film, for me it was the best since Infinity War.

strongly agree. best marvel film since endgame for me, not counting 'no way home' since its not exactly marvel. my 8 year old also loved the movie. great writing, acting, visuals, etc. rockets backstory was really moving and well done. but ultimately it was the writing that made this special. and the chemistry this group of actors has had together for almost a decade too. 

also saw a preview for 'the marvels' movie and i predict that will be a godawful flop and incredibly unfunny to boot. 

On 5/13/2023 at 7:38 PM, Axelrod said:
  Hide contents

I just thought this was meant to show the audience what the Guardians "hear" when Groot speaks, once you can understand him.  I do like the idea it is also Gunn's personal message to his cast though.

I read that it's supposed to be a nod to the audience that we now know these characters well enough to understand Groot.  I choose to believe that he still says "I am Groot", only that we can now interpret him ourselves.

On 5/14/2023 at 7:18 AM, Buzzetta said:

One thing about that Marvels trailer is that it did make me want to finally sit down and watch Ms. Marvel.

Was that any good?  She seems like a likable character. 

Ms. Marvel heavily caters to a particular audience demographic (teens/young adults).  As someone not in that demographic, I found the series to be boring and the characters didn't captivate me the same was as the other heroes I know and recognize.  Granted, Ms. Marvel is a new character and I quite literally don't own any books of hers.  Ms. Marvel was the first Marvel series I just straight up quit watching and the only reason I finished was because my friend said there was an end credit scene that tied into the movie.

The Marvels trailer does not look good at all.

On 5/14/2023 at 7:54 AM, paperheart said:

With Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 repping the best second weekend hold for a Marvel Cinematic Universe title post-pandemic at -49% with $60M+

again, forget post-pandemic, this will be 4th best 2nd weekend hold of any MCU movie: >$750M assured, should hit $800M

$62M actual, tied 3rd best MCU second weekend decline; unless F&F786 knocks it down, easily $800MM

On 5/15/2023 at 12:23 PM, ExNihilo said:

I read that it's supposed to be a nod to the audience that we now know these characters well enough to understand Groot.  I choose to believe that he still says "I am Groot", only that we can now interpret him ourselves.

Spoiler

Ms. Marvel heavily caters to a particular audience demographic (teens/young adults).  As someone not in that demographic, I found the series to be boring and the characters didn't captivate me the same was as the other heroes I know and recognize.  Granted, Ms. Marvel is a new character and I quite literally don't own any books of hers.  Ms. Marvel was the first Marvel series I just straight up quit watching and the only reason I finished was because my friend said there was an end credit scene that tied into the movie.

The Marvels trailer does not look good at all.

this was my interpretation too, was pretty good!

On 5/15/2023 at 7:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

this was my interpretation too, was pretty good!

especially after

Spoiler

nebula was having trouble during the movie,

a big tie in that included the audience!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/15/2023 at 8:42 PM, Juno Beach said:

Do you mean Gamora? 

Ah ya or kind of both. But ya my bad. There was an interval in there on how that would play out, that had me curios why those relationships were highlighted until the end. Pleasantly surprised. 

When I summarized, I called it a clozer to closure lol

It had a lot of elements that seemingly sum up at the end, that also wasn't so much a jolt or revealing , but somehow made the whole movie seem to flow and just be good to where it made "sense" from the beginning.

I'm rambling but like it wasn't a gotcha or plot device, more a regular story that was good for a last one by that director or whatever haha

Also are we not putting stuff in spoilers now cause I think I might have missed in my post?

On 5/15/2023 at 10:29 PM, Ken Aldred said:

First Marvel film since Endgame that I feel will be worth treating myself to the 4K Blu-ray for rewatching.

Marvel really needs to take note of this movie.

It is not hyperbole to say this is the only good Marvel movie since Spider-man NWH and I don't see anything down the road that looks decent except for Deadpool 3.

It makes me wonder if Gunn can make a good DC movie, as there hasn't been one of those since Dark Knight rises.