• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2023 at 12:26 PM, comic_memories said:

Saw it last night and we both liked it, very funny and deep moments. The only thing I would change is how Warlock is portrayed. Beyond that its very entertaining and goes perfectly with a ton of popcorn.   :popcorn:

I'll add I wish the Sovereign weren't so easily dismissed.  Especially High Priestess Ayesha, but I think it's because I like Elizabeth Debicki and wish she had a deeper character to work with beyond the very simple side character we were given.  There was potential for Warlock to have a profound and emotional moment of character development towards the end, but nothing came of it.

Deadline update:

The James Gunn Marvel Studios title is spotting $47M-$48M today, including $17.5M previews, for what will hopefully be a $110M start at 4,450 theaters. One analyst tells us that dollar for dollar that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is looking a lot like Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Both movies did about $37M in presales with the latter debuting to $106.1M (which was a franchise record opening) over its Friday-Sunday.

On 5/5/2023 at 6:39 PM, paperheart said:

Deadline update:

The James Gunn Marvel Studios title is spotting $47M-$48M today, including $17.5M previews, for what will hopefully be a $110M start at 4,450 theaters. One analyst tells us that dollar for dollar that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is looking a lot like Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Both movies did about $37M in presales with the latter debuting to $106.1M (which was a franchise record opening) over its Friday-Sunday.

I think this will get good “word of mouth” though. AM3 didn’t.

On 5/5/2023 at 3:43 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I think this will get good “word of mouth” though. AM3 didn’t.

Certainly won't do 2x opening weekend like A-M3 but will it do more like a MCU 2.7x average (thru Endgame) or a 2.3X average (post Endgame)?

On 5/5/2023 at 6:50 PM, paperheart said:

Certainly won't do 2x opening weekend like A-M3 but will it do more like a MCU 2.7x average (thru Endgame) or a 2.3X average (post Endgame)?

Once we have final 1st weekend numbers and 2nd weekend numbers (how big the fall off is) we will be able to predict it pretty close.

On 5/4/2023 at 8:47 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Non-spoiler review

I liked it. It was my least favorite of the 3 but that doesn't mean it was bad. It was defiantly the best out of Phase 4/5. That said, the rewatchability is low but it had it's momments.

I liked it.  I don't think it's worse than 2...1st one is still top dog, this 3rd one is second dog, 2nd one is third dog.

***Some pretty dark/disturbing scenes I wasn't expecting from a GOTG movie

On 5/6/2023 at 9:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

FvXOo30XoAIr8kE.thumb.jpeg.1d37c9077c5159aa2dc29afbef70f51c.jpeg

Anyone else unimpressed by just one billion people needing his help from a thousand worlds? We're one world, and how many billions existed at the time this was made? Five? They could have gone bigger for a thousand. 

This is the 1st movie that the price has made me not go.  It will be $30 for tickets and then another $20 for popcorn and a snack and just can’t do it.  I may be down to just going to the theaters a couple times a year at these prices.  I’ll watch it in a few months when it’s available at home

I went to it last night with my wife.  I might be in the minority, but.... I didn't like it very much.

It had its moments.  I LOVED the first 10 minutes which gave me hope for the rest of the movie but..... it just didn't deliver for me.

In my mind the biggest problem was the length of the movie.  I could see them trimming 30 - 40 minutes from this.  I'd remove 100% of the Adam Warlock scenes (horrible).

I could tell my wife was hating the movie which affected my viewing enjoyment (I'll wait a few weeks and see it again and maybe I'll change my mind).  My wife told me it was the worst Marvel movie she's seen (and she saw Thor 4).

On 5/5/2023 at 1:33 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Hide contents

I had a thought at the end that they could have done which would have been both gimmicky but also pretty novel:

Given the idea of the Multiverse in the MCU, I thought it could have been cool if they released the film with two different endings:

This is what the movie Clue did in 1985...

Inspired by the nature of the board game, the film's initial release featured various different endings, with one of three possibilities sent to each theater.

On 5/6/2023 at 10:48 AM, apollobuzz said:

This is what the movie Clue did in 1985...

Inspired by the nature of the board game, the film's initial release featured various different endings, with one of three possibilities sent to each theater.

That's cool, I had never heard of that!

On 5/6/2023 at 6:49 AM, 1Cool said:

This is the 1st movie that the price has made me not go.  It will be $30 for tickets and then another $20 for popcorn and a snack and just can’t do it.  I may be down to just going to the theaters a couple times a year at these prices.  I’ll watch it in a few months when it’s available at home

Where are you going that tickets are $30?  I feel $20 for XD/IMAX or whatever the high resolution/quality screens are is about the norm.  Standard viewings were like $15.  Also, paying concession prices is a choice.  I don't think I've paid at a concession stand in 30 years.

On 5/6/2023 at 5:17 PM, ExNihilo said:

Where are you going that tickets are $30?  I feel $20 for XD/IMAX or whatever the high resolution/quality screens are is about the norm.  Standard viewings were like $15.  Also, paying concession prices is a choice.  I don't think I've paid at a concession stand in 30 years.

I'm guessing he is talking about him and his wife/girlfriend 2x $15 for $30.