• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 3
3 3

114 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Point Five said:

The Baloo book had some light scuffs on the back cover, and a small tear at the bottom. You're right though, the spine is really sharp. I called it 8.5 as the book looked pretty crisp overall. (Also wasn't sure if the tear was 'production' or not.)  (shrug)

Well I see what you're talking about on the back, that's where sometimes ya' gotta guess if you're grading the book or grading the plastic.  This time I guess wrong.

10 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Can someone who graded AT25 as being 9.4 and Baloo being 8.0 please let me know what you saw in AT25 that Baloo was lacking and vice-versa? Honest question. I looked at that AT25 with all those spine-ticks and that corner crease and said, well hellzbellz that Baloo looks pretty darn good compared to that! Ugh.

I was almost ready to give the AT25 a 9.6 grade, until I spotted the lower front corner of the book, which looked to have a small chip, as Kav stated.

Saw light scuffing on the Baloo book, and what looked like fading on the back cover, bottom middle.

23 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Welp that's what happens why I try to apply what I learned from the last round's "9.4" AT25 (yeahright). Didn't see any significant difference between Baloo (8.0) and AT25 (9.4) from last round, in fact Baloo looked way better with almost no spine issues.

Can someone who graded AT25 as being 9.4 and Baloo being 8.0 please let me know what you saw in AT25 that Baloo was lacking and vice-versa? Honest question. I looked at that AT25 with all those spine-ticks and that corner crease and said, well hellzbellz that Baloo looks pretty darn good compared to that! Ugh.

So... back to grading and not prognosticating what CGC would do. :tonofbricks:

I feel your pain.  I went 9.0 for the Aviation book and 9.4 on the Baloo.  On my screen, the Baloo looked like it had a 9.6 cover but a weaker back, hence the 9.4.   But the Aviation book had what I thought was scratches on the CGC case, and I guess they were a fold or tape or something?

Can we stick to straight forward books that have a grade in same zip code as their appearance?  I guess I can't grade through plastic via a monitor.

2 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

But the Aviation book had what I thought was scratches on the CGC case, and I guess they were a fold or tape or something?

I don't think the scratches were on the case. It looked like horizontal ink scuffs on the logo. I wonder how that even happened? It was kind of an odd defect on a generally nice looking book. Plus a corner fold on the back.

3 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I don't think the scratches were on the case. It looked like horizontal ink scuffs on the logo. I wonder how that even happened? It was kind of an odd defect on a generally nice looking book. Plus a corner fold on the back.

only thing I can think of is a GA bump

32 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

I feel your pain.  I went 9.0 for the Aviation book and 9.4 on the Baloo.  On my screen, the Baloo looked like it had a 9.6 cover but a weaker back, hence the 9.4.   But the Aviation book had what I thought was scratches on the CGC case, and I guess they were a fold or tape or something?

Can we stick to straight forward books that have a grade in same zip code as their appearance?  I guess I can't grade through plastic via a monitor.

dont forget there was a 3/4 inch tear on back left cover!

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

And foxing at the top of the back cover.