• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko talks about the early days of Spider-man
1 1

48 posts in this topic

Most interesting read.

I get the idea of big villains taking up too much panel-space but as far as his comment about capes covering up characters too much, Neal Adams never seemed to have a problem with Batman's cape. (shrug)

Interesting though he really points out how much of a non-artist Stan Lee was, not quite understanding the balance needed for storyline and art to make sense together. Too much repetative Hero vs Villain encounters in one story does become boring.

Very cool insights.

Hey thanks, a fun read.  I never thought about the effect of costumes on a  story but it makes sense, if the super hero has a secret identity the change between the two generally has to be shown in a panel.  Also interesting to hear how Stan thought villains should be draw and how Ditko portrayed the Green Goblin. 

Very cool!

In the article, Ditko twice references "OO".  Perhaps a shorthand that was explained in an earlier installment, since this seems to be a continuation of an earlier article(s).

Any idea as to what it means?

3 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

sorry-- had to laugh. So many people get PO'd about how Ditko avoids his fans.

I get why he's like he is...I mean I used to sell industrial parts for a living.  Did I like it?  No.  Did it pay the bills?  Yeah.  If in sixty years some jackhole wants me to sign a catalog for them because they know I used to sell parts from that manufacturer I'd be like "you're bothering me kid, go get a girlfriend or a job!"

But at the same time, if he doesn't want adoration from comic fans, then I say give him none.  He's no different than the guy that drew Joe Camel.  (that no one knows the identify of I'm sure without looking it up)  He's a paid artist working on selling kids entertainment so that the publisher can get advertiser revenue.

4 minutes ago, comicalgems said:

I get why he's like he is...I mean I used to sell industrial parts for a living.  Did I like it?  No.  Did it pay the bills?  Yeah.  If in sixty years some jackhole wants me to sign a catalog for them because they know I used to sell parts from that manufacturer I'd be like "you're bothering me kid, go get a girlfriend or a job!"

But at the same time, if he doesn't want adoration from comic fans, then I say give him none.  He's no different than the guy that drew Joe Camel.  (that no one knows the identify of I'm sure without looking it up)  He's a paid artist working on selling kids entertainment so that the publisher can get advertiser revenue.

Fun Fact:

The caricatured camel was created in 1974 by a British artist, Nicholas Price for a French advertising campaign that subsequently ran in other countries in the 1970s.