• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pontoon's Boston Comic Con Report 2017
3 3

113 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

Yes, it has been a strange summer.  Not hot, wetter than usual.  I haven't missed a Boston show in years, but I am not going this year.  Saving my money for Terrificon next week.

Yeah, I think that may be why some of the tomatoes are ginked.

Keep it coming Rich!

I just have a paragraph or two to add about Saturday so instead of my own report I will hijack yours!  :baiting:

I spent Saturday at the show working the Toon Tumbler booth with my 14-year old son.  Always fun to people-watch and sell glasses and magnets.

The venue, aside from the bathroom situation, is utterly fantastic.  It may be too big.  While the aisles did get crowded, I thought it was a layout problem and not a space problem.  A more efficient use of the massive amount of space might make it all better.  They either didn't have enough staff or they weren't active enough trying to make the floor work smoothly.  At the end of the day Saturday there was no concerted effort to get customers to leave, which is very annoying, and many vendors concerned about their stuff were forced to hang around for an hour after "close".  Overall, though, there was a lot more good than bad.

The big problem with this show to me, and this may be consistent among all the large shows these days, was the number of vendors selling unlicensed merchandise.  I'm not talking a booth full of licensed stuff where there were some Chinese knock-offs.  I'm talking full booths dedicated to selling self-made merchandise with copyrighted images at a scale that goes far beyond fair use.   In my view, it is up to the show promoters to vet the vendors, and replies of "how can we tell?" will fall on deaf ears to me.  It is very easy to tell if they care to look into it. 

There was no shortage of adult material on display either, mixed right in with everything else, bringing the whole show down a bit.

One thing that has apparently disappeared entirely from the picture is the sale of pirated and bootlegged CD's/DVDs.  Enforcement goes a long way to changing behavior.

Nice seeing everyone again on this once-a-year visit I have with a crowd I used to be far more active in.  Thanks to you all.

Edited by CKB