• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pontoon's Boston Comic Con Report 2017
3 3

113 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Yes, I get that but if a show abandons it's roots and features a bunch of non pop culture vendors  how long before a good portion of the fans decide it isn't a pop culture event, and isn't special or different, and quit going?

The reality is that kids buy tickets to see pop culture and that's anything from Wrestling to Video Games to movies / actors / actresses.

Disney is big enough that they pulled Marvel out of San Diego a few years ago.  Imagine that.  Marvel being pulled out of the biggest former comic show in the country.

Disney now puts on their own show in Anaheim the weekend before San Diego and Marvel had a panel there.

The smaller comic shows are starting a revival as they are coming back to their roots and featuring comics only vendors. That's not a bad thing.

On 8/12/2017 at 8:46 PM, Pontoon said:

I think that was an unintentional photobomb but I dig it.

I don't know who the cowgirl is but she has it going on.

BCC2017cowgirl.jpg

The costume itself isn't familiar - but my first thought is Wynonna Earp.  The Cosplayer looks similar to Melanie Scrofano and the pose and smile are also close.  Could be the cosplayers own interpretation of Wynoona or could be some character I've never seen. I think I'll run this by a few cosplayer friends and see what they think.  As you say, she looks great whoever the character is.  

Edited by Tony S

7 hours ago, Tony S said:

The costume itself isn't familiar - but my first thought is Wynonna Earp.  The Cosplayer looks similar to Melanie Scrofano and the pose and smile are also close.  Could be the cosplayers own interpretation of Wynoona or could be some character I've never seen. I think I'll run this by a few cosplayer friends and see what they think.  As you say, she looks great whoever the character is.  

I should probably just get in the habit of asking, although I don't always have time. I was about to snap a picture of family Sunday afternoon when I had to attend to somebody else.

2 minutes ago, Tony S said:

I asked a cosplayer friend. It's McCree from the online First Person Shooter Game Overwatch. 

McCree of Overwatch game.png

So much pop culture, so little time.  I wonder how people keep up with this stuff, or how they expect anyone to recognize what they are supposed to be.

Apparently if you play Overwatch, which has a huge number of players (30 million) you'd recognize it right away. I'm also told it's not consider impolite to ask cosplayers who the character is that they are playing. I've taken many a picture of a cool costume but didn't know who the character was that they were playing.  So I'm just going to start asking.... 

1 minute ago, Tony S said:

Apparently if you play Overwatch, which has a huge number of players (30 million) you'd recognize it right away. I'm also told it's not consider impolite to ask cosplayers who the character is that they are playing. I've taken many a picture of a cool costume but didn't know who the character was that they were playing.  So I'm just going to start asking.... 

Good plan.  I have never heard of Overwatch, but I guess I don't get out much.

On 8/17/2017 at 4:28 PM, lizards2 said:

So much pop culture, so little time.  I wonder how people keep up with this stuff, or how they expect anyone to recognize what they are supposed to be.

I am most certainly not a cosplayer, but from what I've observed at shows that cosplayers attend, it seems that it carries a certain cachet to dress-up as obscure characters. The more obscure the character, the less chance of someone else wearing the same outfit, I guess?

On 8/18/2017 at 4:58 PM, Dave2739 said:

I am most certainly not a cosplayer, but from what I've observed at shows that cosplayers attend, it seems that it carries a certain cachet to dress-up as obscure characters. The more obscure the character, the less chance of someone else wearing the same outfit, I guess?

So, like, it's like high school prom?

If you post a selfie with your new dress for prom online nobody else can buy the same dress? lol

But I agree. People dress up to try to be unique. If you manage a costume that nobody else has thought of yet, you're more unique than the next person for a show or two until it catches on.

Oh, the heavy weight of 15 seconds of fame. How burdensome it can be to attain it.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:26 AM, Pontoon said:

One of the nice things about a comic con is seeing the budding young fans attracted to funnybooks, as well as the older ones. I wonder what Golden Age treasure this golden ager found!

BCC2017Jinmmy.jpg

He's one of the owners of Bedrock Comics in Natick, MA.  Nice guy.  Small shop, but they consistently seem to find gems in the rough.  Since coming back into the hobby, I've picked up A LOT of great raw stuff from there and at great prices too.