• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pontoon's Boston Comic Con Report 2017
3 3

113 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Ryan. said:

The A/C was on consistently all weekend so the normal fanboy stench (a mixture of sweat, body odor, and stale morning breath) was down considerably from years past. Always a plus.

A minus is the ever rising costs of creator signature and sketch fees, and their intolerance for fans not buying their prints.

Jae Lee had a sign that explicitly stated: "$25 for sketchbook sketches". I laid out my sketchbook (note: an honest to goodness, not CGC witnessed sketchbook) and my $25. He replied, "Not sketching." Then why is there a sign, Jae? WHY IS THERE A SIGN.

Michael Dooney was cool.

Which day was that? I got a cover sketch from Jae on Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm not seeing any ginks in those tomatoes.

Well, they're not ginked like somebody bruised them on purpose, but the plants are a bit off. The plants aren't bearing as much fruit as normal, the the few hybrids we planted look as if it were late September.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

20 minutes ago, Pontoon said:
28 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm not seeing any ginks in those tomatoes.

Well, they're not ginked like somebody bruised them on purpose, but the plants are a bit off. The plants aren't bearing as much fruit as normal, the the few hybrids we planted look as if it were late September.

Edited 20 minutes ago by Pontoon

Winter is coming.

34 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

One of the nice things about a comic con is seeing the budding young fans attracted to funnybooks, as well as the older ones. I wonder what Golden Age treasure this golden ager found!

:roflmao:Just brutal!  (Well done!)  Wish I had seen Jimmy at the show, would have loved to catch up.

8 hours ago, Pontoon said:

So it turns out my earlier guess was right. The show is now going to be known as Fan Expo Boston.

:p

The Boston show looked like a smaller Fan Expo Toronto to me. Chevrolet had a booth, Geico had a booth. They're interested in putting on a financially successful multi media pop-culture event. They're not interested in comics, unfortunately.

Informa (the people who bought Toronto, Boston and Orlando) are a huge multinational company. I just read up that they have 6500 employees in 43 cities.  They're basically putting on a trade show.

7 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The Boston show looked like a smaller Fan Expo Toronto to me. Chevrolet had a booth, Geico had a booth. They're interested in putting on a financially successful multi media pop-culture event. They're not interested in comics, unfortunately.

Informa (the people who bought Toronto, Boston and Orlando) are a huge multinational company. I just read up that they have 6500 employees in 43 cities.  They're basically putting on a trade show.

Fine, build a trade show, but keep it connected to it's roots, comics and pop culture.  If you abandon those roots eventually there'll be nothing special about your show and you'll die a slow death.  Geico, Chevy, whatever don't belong at a pop culture event and they shouldn't be there just because they can be the high bidder for space.

20 hours ago, Pontoon said:

One of the nice things about a comic con is seeing the budding young fans attracted to funnybooks, as well as the older ones. I wonder what Golden Age treasure this golden ager found!

BCC2017Jinmmy.jpg

Fantastic!

8 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Fine, build a trade show, but keep it connected to it's roots, comics and pop culture.  If you abandon those roots eventually there'll be nothing special about your show and you'll die a slow death.  Geico, Chevy, whatever don't belong at a pop culture event and they shouldn't be there just because they can be the high bidder for space.

In the new world of corporate boardrooms and the ever escalating need for profits that won't happen.

They can get more from corporate sponsors than they can from comic book dealers.

Integrity is non-existent in this day and age. All big money cares about is more money.

32 minutes ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:
21 hours ago, Pontoon said:

BCC2017Jinmmy.jpg

Fantastic!

I think Mr. Pontoon was creating an inside joke. That's the former owner of the Boston Comic Con. lol

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

In the new world of corporate boardrooms and the ever escalating need for profits that won't happen.

They can get more from corporate sponsors than they can from comic book dealers.

Integrity is non-existent in this day and age. All big money cares about is more money.

Yes, I get that but if a show abandons it's roots and features a bunch of non pop culture vendors  how long before a good portion of the fans decide it isn't a pop culture event, and isn't special or different, and quit going?

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

Yes, I get that but if a show abandons it's roots and features a bunch of non pop culture vendors  how long before a good portion of the fans decide it isn't a pop culture event, and isn't special or different, and quit going?

The only thing I could think of that would make it worth while, is if they charge more for the non pop stuff and cut the comic book dealers of brake on space price...

23 hours ago, Pontoon said:

So it turns out my earlier guess was right. The show is now going to be known as Fan Expo Boston.

:p

Geico Presents Fan Expo Boston a T-Mobile and Stubborn Soda Production.

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I think Mr. Pontoon was creating an inside joke. That's the former owner of the Boston Comic Con. lol

Roy,

I had no idea. xD