• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official November 2017 heritage auction thread
3 3

330 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Thoughts on Kraven/Zeck cover? Thought there was a high likelihood of two people going toe-to-toe on it, final price was $33k, which was a bit over what I thought the final would be. Does this price nudge the rest of the covers to auction, or reinforce that they should stay where there are?

Also, that the Wrightson HOM #225 splash that went for $15k....didn't that go through Comiclink not too long ago? Anyone recall the price?

The Wrightson HOM splash was on Clink Exchange with a 12.2k too bid but not sold (meaning you could bid higher).  I recall piece sold on Clink Auction a few years ago but can’t recall what price sold.

4 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Thoughts on Kraven/Zeck cover? Thought there was a high likelihood of two people going toe-to-toe on it, final price was $33k, which was a bit over what I thought the final would be. Does this price nudge the rest of the covers to auction, or reinforce that they should stay where there are?

I thought it went low, expected around 50k. This is a worst of the best example for Zeck (along with the rest of KLH, top MOKF, Cap, Secret Wars, Punisher covers). Maybe I'm totally out to lunch? Likewise I think, unless a selling program is already in place, this lukewarm number would encourage the rest to stay put.

2 hours ago, Greenlake said:

"Woman in White" was the only one I was interested in, but I wonder if it hurt this at all.

Woman didn't work for me at all, it's Jeffrey in drag (not that there's anything wrong with that!) I would have bid Swordsman up to 3k (which was really only 1 more + maybe a cut up from hammer) but not higher. Alas, I'd already taken down two other pieces earlier and my budget was blown. It's a larger piece but suffers from being later (90s) and unpublished, still thought it would get to 6500 or so, the JJ market took a hit last summer when so many lots passed at PIH but seemed to have recovered this year. Oh well. None of that matters to me except that I wouldn't overpay and certainly not 'reach'; my line was 3k. JJ market has some quirks, to say the least ;)

1 hour ago, GreatEscape said:

...was on Clink Exchange...

CLink Exchange...lol...something popped up yesterday for $1200 (too much), I put up an offer of $650 (and thought we might settle out at 800-850), and saw the counter-offer come over this morning. Guess what - counter is $1200 (huh?!) against a (clearly 'updated') list price of $1500. I guess, even though I'm the only interested party, this piece went up 25% overnight! Wow!! Hope I can still get it! (not)

So I'm pretty sure who the Bro(wner)s are here :)lol:)lol and have already written the piece off and am moving on with the rest of my life.

9 hours ago, romitaman said:

A local friend of mine just made a frickin KILLING on EBAY 3 weeks ago......He picked up 1 ebay lot which included a killer peanuts 1950s CHRISTMAS SUNDAY with ALL CHARACTERS present singing a Christmas song at school, with Linus telling Lucy he forgot his line...AND 5 more 50s DAILIES!!!!! and he bought em ALL FOR............ 24.5K.. ....The day he got em in and confirmed they were all real,...he shipped em all off to Heritage!!! LOL. (He offered me the sunday for 60k as i collect Christmas themed art..... but i passed.)

I saw that lot on eBay, a steal before those results.....we will find out soon if these prices were a one off after a couple auctions. 

19 minutes ago, vodou said:

Woman didn't work for me at all, it's Jeffrey in drag (not that there's anything wrong with that!) I would have bid Swordsman up to 3k (which was really only 1 more + maybe a cut up from hammer) but not higher. Alas, I'd already taken down two other pieces earlier and my budget was blown. It's a larger piece but suffers from being later (90s) and unpublished, still thought it would get to 6500 or so, the JJ market took a hit last summer when so many lots passed at PIH but seemed to have recovered this year. Oh well. None of that matters to me except that I wouldn't overpay and certainly not 'reach'; my line was 3k. JJ market has some quirks, to say the least ;)

I'm really reaching here since I'm a beginner, but I thought maybe WiW would've been better placed in a fine arts auction -- especially since it didn't fit with the other three and I thought it was destined to start things off low. You'd lose the name recognition, but I think it's a fair bet you could find the right buyers for it and the story would help. I play in the OA shallow end and I doubt I'd have gone for it anyway, but I wish I'd have known it was a self-portrait.

Edited by Greenlake

10 hours ago, romitaman said:

A local friend of mine just made a frickin KILLING on EBAY 3 weeks ago......He picked up 1 ebay lot which included a killer peanuts 1950s CHRISTMAS SUNDAY with ALL CHARACTERS present singing a Christmas song at school, with Linus telling Lucy he forgot his line...AND 5 more 50s DAILIES!!!!! and he bought em ALL FOR............ 24.5K.. ....The day he got em in and confirmed they were all real,...he shipped em all off to Heritage!!! LOL. (He offered me the sunday for 60k as i collect Christmas themed art..... but i passed.)

Holy moly.  I didn't see the auction, but it would have had to be from a credible seller with great pictures for me to believe it was the real deal, what with all the scamming going on with art on eBay, Peanuts in particular.  Was it listed in the wrong category or something?  How does something like this slip by?

Scott

8 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Holy moly.  I didn't see the auction, but it would have had to be from a credible seller with great pictures for me to believe it was the real deal, what with all the scamming going on with art on eBay, Peanuts in particular.  Was it listed in the wrong category or something?  How does something like this slip by?

Scott

I just looked at that eBay auction, and it's interesting to note that it mentions the Peanuts Sunday as an "ink mockup".  I assume that was just poor wording Mike, and that it was indeed the original?  Looks like perhaps there was some water damage on the left side (lots of ripples on the edges from what I can see).  Was it a bid auction or a buy it now for 25K?  No matter what, this was a great buy, especially after the results from this Heritage auction!

Scott

Edited by stinkininkin

18 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I just looked at that eBay auction, and it's interesting to note that it mentions the Peanuts Sunday as an "ink mockup".  I assume that was just poor wording Mike, and that it was indeed the original?  Looks like perhaps there was some water damage on the left side (lots of ripples on the edges from what I can see).  Was it a bid auction or a buy it now for 25K?  No matter what, this was a great buy, especially after the results from this Heritage auction!

Scott

it was a BIN.....a little h2o damage doesn't make that much difference

13 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I’ve always likened comparing Batman cover prices to Detective cover prices like the way Amazing Spider-man cover prices compare to all other Spider-title prices. I’m the same general universe but not really the same. 

I guess.  As an Adams fan/collector, it really depends on the image for me more than the title (although the R'has Al Ghul storyline is the gold standard for me when it comes to Adams Batman and that was in the Batman title.)  I also think that coincidentally, Adams Batman covers as a whole were superior to the Detective covers (although that Detective 400 cover is pretty sweet hm) .  Net result is that you are right Chris, probably more Adams Batman covers to break the bank on than the Detective counterparts.  Having said that, and even taking the smaller Batman on this Det cover into account, this Detective cover was VERY well bought imho.

Scott

4 minutes ago, suspense39 said:

it was a BIN.....a little h2o damage doesn't make that much difference

Wow.  You said you'd seen the auction.  Were you tempted, knowing the Sunday alone, even with possible water damage would more than pay for price of the BIN? Of course, not everyone is liquid 25k at any given moment.

Scott

2 hours ago, zen514 said:

Im curious what a Batman 232 with a tiny batman and robin but A hughe Rhas Al Ghul would do!! 250k i would say. First appearance and cover for Major vilain and Batman title. Maybe even close to the 450k of the Green lantern 76 from Neal Adams!

The art for #232 is in two parts (Ra's is on an overlay), which may impact final value.

Or at least it was when I saw it years ago. May look differently now.

1 minute ago, Nexus said:

The art for #232 is in two parts (Ra's is on an overlay), which may impact final value.

Or at least it was when I saw it years ago. May look differently now.

Correct.  I can't see any credible way to combine the two.  I certainly wouldn't, and I've had plenty of art conserved, restored.  I think combining the two pieces on the 232 cover would be a big mistake.

Scott

Just now, stinkininkin said:

Correct.  I can't see any credible way to combine the two.  I certainly wouldn't, and I've had plenty of art conserved, restored.  I think combining the two pieces on the 232 cover would be a big mistake.

Scott

I agree. On both counts. But we've seen crazy things done to covers, so I'll never rule anything out.

21 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Wow.  You said you'd seen the auction.  Were you tempted, knowing the Sunday alone, even with possible water damage would more than pay for price of the BIN? Of course, not everyone is liquid 25k at any given moment.

Scott

Yes I was very tempted but I didn’t have 25k, so there that, but I definitely thought about trying to get the money somehow.....and then it was gone.

theres also the “ if the deal is too good” theory that always enters my head ....I get hesitant. 

Edited by suspense39