• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official November 2017 heritage auction thread
3 3

330 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, vodou said:

The way this hobby market is...lol...tough question. I think it's "worth" $65-75k. But I bet if I was bidding whatever it took to win it...my final invoice would be in the neighborhood of $150k + juice (depending on the House). And if I really was decided that the only outcome is: me winning, I'd better have $250k set aside. Cash. Ready to go. (Which absolutely means it will never be mine...I just do not overpay in that way. Ever. Even if I've sold something/s for 3x FMV the month before and am feeling flush.)

If it was offered to you for $100K, would you buy it?  How about $75K?  

2 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Web #32 is a great cover, but, I can't see how a KLH cover with no Kraven elements in it can be the most iconic or emblematic of the storyline.  Has to be ASM #293 or #294 IMO.

I can buy that, but the image of spidey emerging from his grave is a key moment in the story. If the 32 and 294 covers were laid out in front in me and i had to pick one, it would not be a quick decision.

5 hours ago, vodou said:

Likewise. It's actually the only one I'd really want, no need to have two if you have that one, any of the others would be a consolation prize.

You could argue that the splash page from that issue is better than the cover. 

1 hour ago, Hekla said:

I can buy that, but the image of spidey emerging from his grave is a key moment in the story. If the 32 and 294 covers were laid out in front in me and i had to pick one, it would not be a quick decision.

Web 32 is a great cover. However, you could substitute the splash of 32 for the cover of 32. So if given that choice pick the cover of 294 and then track down that splash from Web 32 that Romitaman sold. 

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

If it was offered to you for $100K, would you buy it?  How about $75K?  

Not $100k. At $75k I'd have to really think about it, weight it against competing opp cost at that level. And probably do it.

That's not an opportunity that would come around every other year!

But...KLH is not my go-to Zeck. Rather late off my 81-83 sweet spot. So's Punisher LS. Secret Wars squeaks in five minutes after the bell has rung ;)

However, unlike yourself Gene* I was still buying everything Marvel Zombie-like everything in 87 and did enjoy the story at the time. I did eagerly anticipate the next chapter at the end of each issue. It was suspenseful. No crazy nostalgia today though. And I haven't re-read the story since...2000? Not even sure where my signed trade is and the comics are...boxed up somewhere??! OTTOMH no idea what the splash looks like to reply to buyatari even lol

*Stopped ASM at 289...wow, literally a couple of issues before this and then The Toddler's Run...? You really missed out on some great not like what came before comics!!

17 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Yep, somewhere around 10-15 to be specific.

I think it's more like top 100-150 - there are well over a thousand Spidey covers between all of his various series, mini-series, guest appearances, etc.  I can see Web #32 being in the top 10-15% (top 100-150).  But, top 10-15?  If you start from AF #15 and work your way up chronologically, surely you're going to easily hit 10-15 more iconic/memorable covers in the first 50 issues alone.  2c 

Edited by delekkerste

On 11/22/2017 at 8:21 PM, delekkerste said:

Web #32 is a great cover, but, I can't see how a KLH cover with no Kraven elements in it can be the most iconic or emblematic of the storyline.  Has to be ASM #293 or #294 IMO.

I think the "Kraven Element" is that Kraven made the headstone, picked the plot and *Spoilers* was the one to bury Spidey there in the first place. lol 

When Spidey finally digs himself out of the grave the story reaches its tipping point towards its climax. So I get the description of it being iconic and emblematic. 

26 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

When Spidey finally digs himself out of the grave the story reaches its tipping point towards its climax. So I get the description of it being iconic and emblematic. 

Yep, the third most iconic and emblematic of the series. (thumbsu

13 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Yep, somewhere around 10-15 to be specific.

For it to be top 10 to top 20 on a list you would have to be more specific. Perhaps top 10-15 Web of Spider-Man covers?

Or perhaps covers from that era if you haven't read or are not a fan of the 60's and 70's books. Spider-Man has so many wonderful covers and even top 10-15 of the 1980s books is a bold statement. Without seeing them all again, I can't say where it fall in the 80s books but it would be a fun exercise to lay them all out and see where it falls.

1 hour ago, buyatari said:

For it to be top 10 to top 20 on a list you would have to be more specific. Perhaps top 10-15 Web of Spider-Man covers?

Or perhaps covers from that era if you haven't read or are not a fan of the 60's and 70's books. Spider-Man has so many wonderful covers and even top 10-15 of the 1980s books is a bold statement. Without seeing them all again, I can't say where it fall in the 80s books but it would be a fun exercise to lay them all out and see where it falls.

To take a slightly different angle to this, the Web #32 in my opinion stacks up with the top 10 Zeck covers (not including portfolio plates, interiors or standalone pieces).  When you look at both classic image and value, here's how I'd rank Zeck's top 10 covers:

- Captain America Annual #8

- Secret Wars #8 

- Secret Wars #1

- Punisher #1

- Punisher #3

- Web of Spider-man #32

- Amazing Spider-man #294

- Punisher Return to Big Nothing

- Captain America #286

- Amazing Spider-man #285

You can debate the order of these and potentially that the last 3 could be replaced by other classic Zeck covers (like Batman #417, ASM #293, some of the other Punisher LS covers, Secret Wars #10, etc.), but what I think it shows is that both the Web #32 and ASM #294 would be valued in the $100k+ range and are true classics.   Just think of all the great Zeck covers that didn't make the list!

Edited by comiconxion

You ever have one of those discussions with comic friends about classic books that everyone else has read, and is indeed considered classic, but you've never read yourself?  This is one of them.  Never read these issues Kravens Hunt issues, so I about had a coronary when I started seeing these accolades and values tossed around!  O.o

Oh well, something for me to look forward to read someday.  I'll add it to the pile, along with all Sandman issues, Moore's Swampthing, Preacher, and every Marvel event series of the last 25 years.  Yes, I am a poor excuse for a comic fan. 

Scott

34 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

You ever have one of those discussions with comic friends about classic books that everyone else has read, and is indeed considered classic, but you've never read yourself?  This is one of them.  Never read these issues Kravens Hunt issues, so I about had a coronary when I started seeing these accolades and values tossed around!  O.o

Oh well, something for me to look forward to read someday.  I'll add it to the pile, along with all Sandman issues, Moore's Swampthing, Preacher, and every Marvel event series of the last 25 years.  Yes, I am a poor excuse for a comic fan. 

Scott

You get a pass....you were too busy creating what we were all enjoying. 

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

Scott

I actually didn't read Kraven's Last Hunt until the last few years.  And I wasn't that blown away.  It was OK but I won't be the ones spending the big bucks for pages from that run.  I did read Swamp Thing and Preach though (but never got into Sandman)

Malvin

39 minutes ago, malvin said:

I actually didn't read Kraven's Last Hunt until the last few years.  And I wasn't that blown away.  It was OK but I won't be the ones spending the big bucks for pages from that run. Malvin

It's most likely the difference between reading comics, month to month, and then BOOM this story arc hits, and it's so unexpected and so far above everything that's happening around it that you're blown away..

and being told by everyone for years, or perhaps decades, that this story blew them away, and was iconic, and a top 10 story arc....and then reading it. 

Expectations, when extraordinarily high, leads to a let down, while having no expectations will have the opposite effect. 

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

It's most likely the difference between reading comics, month to month, and then BOOM this story arc hits, and it's so unexpected and so far above everything that's happening around it that you're blown away..

and being told by everyone for years, or perhaps decades, that this story blew them away, and was iconic, and a top 10 story arc....and then reading it. 

Expectations, when extraordinarily high, leads to a let down, while having no expectations will have the opposite effect. 

Heh, great analysis! Yes, the amount of good comics I have read over the years, plus the heightened expectations due to the hype, did not help my assessment 

Malvin 

12 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Scott

Oh sure Scott. I bet many of us have our own lists based on the premise of how can so many other people be wrong, it must be me.

My List:

Watchmen

Killing Joke (read a very long time ago, zero impact, need to read again with 'mature' eyes!)

DKR (read a very long time ago, zero impact, need to read again with 'mature' eyes!)

Hush

All of the Tim Sale 'color' Marvels (Dardevil: Yellow, etc)

YTLM (started, got to issue 15 or so, never finished)

Preacher

Sandman (in NO rush to ever read this, still really don't care)

New Teen Titans

Fables

...and probably many more, quickies above off the top of my head.

probably many more, those are just off the top of my head ;)