• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official November 2017 heritage auction thread
3 3

330 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, buyatari said:

As a general rule of thumb Amazing trumps other Spidy titles but I don't see t in this case. If you can place a premium here at all on the title alone it will be small.  This was a popular cross over series read by almost all Amazing readers. 

Disagree.  I collect Spidey covers and I've stopped purchasing non-ASM covers so I didn't bid on this Spec Spidey covers.  I know of several ASM OA collectors who feel the same way.

Does the fact that it's actually Kraven in the suit instead of P.P. enter into it ??  On the surface it shouldn't matter, but we comic collectors can be a queer and quirky bunch sometimes.  I know for some reason I liked the Ditko Spidey #13 pages a little less where it was Mysterio impersonating Spidey, even though they were good action pages..(shrug)

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Disagree.  I collect Spidey covers and I've stopped purchasing non-ASM covers so I didn't bid on this Spec Spidey covers.  I know of several ASM OA collectors who feel the same way.

I also think there would be an ASM premium regardless.  If the ASM #293 and 294 covers had been published as PPSS #131 and 132 (and vice versa), those images would still fetch the most money, true, even as PPSS covers.  But, they would probably fetch even more as ASM covers IMO. 

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I also think there would be an ASM premium regardless.  If the ASM #293 and 294 covers had been published as PPSS #131 and 132 (and vice versa), those images would still fetch the most money, true, even as PPSS covers.  But, they would probably fetch even more as ASM covers IMO. 

I found this little google image as I couldn't really recall what the various covers looked like since they ran thru three titles.  

Great batch of covers.     1 and 3 look the weakest to me.    Looking at it now I would have guessed 40 on the #3 that sold as well.    Some of the other ones - 2,4,5,6 are really dynamite.      I think the prices on those would go nuts regardless of what happened with #3.    

Web+Of+Spider-Man+%2331-32,+The+Amazing+

Edited by Bronty

24 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I found this little google image as I couldn't really recall what the various covers looked like since they ran thru three titles.  

Great batch of covers.     1 and 3 look the weakest to me.    Looking at it now I would have guessed 40 on the #3 that sold as well.    Some of the other ones - 2,4,5,6 are really dynamite.      I think the prices on those would go nuts regardless of what happened with #3.    

Web+Of+Spider-Man+%2331-32,+The+Amazing+

#6 is a nice action cover, but, no Kraven and doesn't really represent the most memorable part of the storyline.  The Vermin sub-plot is like the Black Freighter sub-plot in Watchmen.  :whatthe: 

I'd rank the covers:

5, 2, 4, 1, 6, 3

I can understand those who would take part 2 over part 5, as some do. 

Edited by delekkerste

with respect to your ranking 1 before 6...

I bought 6 off the stands so I am biased, but even so I think 1 kind of stinks.    My biggest criticism of it is that it just doesn't really look like your prototypical Zeck cover.    Its not what I would want in a Zeck.    2,4,5,6 and yes especially 2,4,5 have that classic Zeck feel.   But 6 is right there a shade below, at least for me.   Actually I'd prefer it to 4 personally but I know that may be because of it being a book I remember from the stands.

Edited by Bronty

7 minutes ago, Bronty said:

with respect to your ranking 1 before 6...

I bought 6 off the stands so I am biased, but even so I think 1 kind of stinks.    My biggest criticism of it is that it just doesn't really look like your prototypical Zeck cover.    Its not what I would want in a Zeck.    2,4,5,6 and yes especially 2,4,5 have that classic Zeck feel.   But 6 is right there a shade below, at least for me.   Actually I'd prefer it to 4 personally but I know that may be because of it being a book I remember from the stands.

6 is the better drawn cover, for sure.  But, to me, the subject matter makes all the difference.  If I was dead-set on owning a KLH cover, I'd have to get one that represented part of the main Kraven vs. Spidey storyline.  

At current price levels, though, I definitely don't need to own a KLH cover.  I quit reading ASM in the '80s after issue #289 (started playing high school football that summer and had a lot less time for comics pretty much from then on), and didn't end up reading KLH until the late '90s or early '00s.  And, as such, I don't have the same strong nostalgia as I have for the Spidey stories I read before then. 

42 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

6 is the better drawn cover, for sure.  But, to me, the subject matter makes all the difference.  If I was dead-set on owning a KLH cover, I'd have to get one that represented part of the main Kraven vs. Spidey storyline.  

At current price levels, though, I definitely don't need to own a KLH cover.  I quit reading ASM in the '80s after issue #289 (started playing high school football that summer and had a lot less time for comics pretty much from then on), and didn't end up reading KLH until the late '90s or early '00s.  And, as such, I don't have the same strong nostalgia as I have for the Spidey stories I read before then. 

I'll take part 5 and let the rest of you fight over 1,2,3,4 and 6.

3 hours ago, zhamlau said:

See, i would put 4 at the top. I would imagine that should be the best seller far and away. Thats iconic.

Likewise. It's actually the only one I'd really want, no need to have two if you have that one, any of the others would be a consolation prize.

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Likewise. It's actually the only one I'd really want, no need to have two if you have that one, any of the others would be a consolation prize.

Interesting.  Before the above two posts, I had never had anyone tell me that their favorite cover from the storyline was anything but either ASM #293 or #294.

Just curious as to where you guys would value the Web #32 (Part 4) cover? 

Edited by delekkerste

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Interesting.  Before the above two posts, I had never met anyone whose favorite cover from the storyline was not ASM #293 or #294.

The way this hobby market is...lol...tough question. I think it's "worth" $65-75k. But I bet if I was bidding whatever it took to win it...my final invoice would be in the neighborhood of $150k + juice (depending on the House). And if I really was decided that the only outcome is: me winning, I'd better have $250k set aside. Cash. Ready to go. (Which absolutely means it will never be mine...I just do not overpay in that way. Ever. Even if I've sold something/s for 3x FMV the month before and am feeling flush.)

20 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Interesting.  Before the above two posts, I had never had anyone tell me that their favorite cover from the storyline was anything but either ASM #293 or #294.

To be fair, WOSM 32 is the most iconic cover for this storyline (imo), but ASM 294 is a close 2nd. The WOSM 32 cover is even the Kravens Last Hunt TPB cover.

15 minutes ago, eewwnuk said:

4 has to be one of the most iconic spidey covers of all time. 

I agree.  It's in the top 150 for sure. 

Edited by delekkerste

1 minute ago, Hekla said:

To be fair, WOSM 32 is the most iconic cover for this storyline (imo), but ASM 294 is a close 2nd. The WOSM 32 cover is even the Kravens Last Hunt TPB cover.

Web #32 is a great cover, but, I can't see how a KLH cover with no Kraven elements in it can be the most iconic or emblematic of the storyline.  Has to be ASM #293 or #294 IMO.