• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GPA Analysis and Past eBay Sales No Longer Accurate, Warning!
4 4

153 posts in this topic

The other thing I didn't realize until I sold something this weekend is the sale of slabs during promotions. There is a 10% promotion this weekend. Hypothetically, you have a $1,000 slab that has been listed for a while. The 10% sale comes up, someone buys it. Now, they were only willing to pay $900+. If they wanted to pay $1,000 it would have been sold. BUT, the sale gets recorded as $1,000 (with eBay chipping in $100.)

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

The other thing I didn't realize until I sold something this weekend is the sale of slabs during promotions. There is a 10% promotion this weekend. Hypothetically, you have a $1,000 slab that has been listed for a while. The 10% sale comes up, someone buys it. Now, they were only willing to pay $900+. If they wanted to pay $1,000 it would have been sold. BUT, the sale gets recorded as $1,000 (with eBay chipping in $100.)

I signed up for eBay bucks a while ago, but where is it posted that this is a 10% ebay buck weekend? do you have had to be a part of ebay bucks for a while?

Please forgive my ignorance, but ebay doesn't seem to do a lot of advertising of such or not where I have seen :foryou: 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I signed up for eBay bucks a while ago, but where is it posted that this is a 10% ebay buck weekend? do you have had to be a part of ebay bucks for a while?

Please forgive my ignorance, but ebay doesn't seem to do a lot of advertising of such or not where I have seen :foryou: 

I think I found it.... under survey and promotion preferences on my ebay account, 1 box wasn't checked.... I guess that was it.... doh!

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think I found it.... under survey and promotion preferences on my ebay account, 1 box wasn't checked.... I guess that was it.... doh!

Yes, the problem is that you get a lot of unwanted emails as well. I think that was why I changed it a long time ago and was never receiving notice of sales.

I just noticed someone selling a raw book in the modern forums for an unusually high price. A Superman/Batman 8 Cover C for $145. Typically this book is around $175 graded at 9.8.

The last recorded GPA sale is for $325 BUT that ebay listing was for two copies. Does that normally happen with multiple quantity listings?

obviously a Submariner (1960s title) got mis-grouped. 

Looks like they already fixed it. 

subby.thumb.png.8565b4028d7505f33f4573ba65b77b63.png

I see similar things happen every now and then with books getting put in the wrong edition group. It happens, they're only as good as the data getting pulled from the eBay api. 

There's a comment/email link somewhere on the page to notify them of mis-listings. They're fast to update in my experience. 

13 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

obviously a Submariner (1960s title) got mis-grouped. 

Looks like they already fixed it. 

subby.thumb.png.8565b4028d7505f33f4573ba65b77b63.png

I see similar things happen every now and then with books getting put in the wrong edition group. It happens, they're only as good as the data getting pulled from the eBay api. 

There's a comment/email link somewhere on the page to notify them of mis-listings. They're fast to update in my experience. 

Regarding the notification link, good to know thanks. They must have read this post...quick response time...

7 hours ago, thunsicker said:

George is a ninja.

And he spends his entire life upside down.

Intriguing man of mystery.

11 minutes ago, AJD said:
2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

And he spends his entire life upside down.

Looks the right way up to me...?

You're upside down too.

Question, I don't know this seller but was wondering why this was not reported to GPA.  Looks like it sold then perhaps relisted at same price with no bids again but not sure.  I see a "private" bidder as the winner.  Wondering if it was shilled.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-Comics-26-CGC-2-5-O-W-pgs-Human-Torch-Timely-1943-c-19566/362346734180?hash=item545d8c6264:g:7c8AAOSwxLVbGvAT

17 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Question, I don't know this seller but was wondering why this was not reported to GPA.  Looks like it sold then perhaps relisted at same price with no bids again but not sure.  I see a "private" bidder as the winner.  Wondering if it was shilled.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-Comics-26-CGC-2-5-O-W-pgs-Human-Torch-Timely-1943-c-19566/362346734180?hash=item545d8c6264:g:7c8AAOSwxLVbGvAT

Looks like the high bidder on the Jun 17th auction was a non-paying bidder at $1700. Relisted twice with no bids at $1500. It shouldn't be reported to GPA.

Stuff like this happens quite often actually, and not just with comics. It's even wierder when an out of whack sale occurs, and a sale from what looks to be the same seller a month earier, with a graded example to boot, sells for just shy of $5K, and a month later, loose, ungraded, sells for $50K. These pricing tools need to be reviewed by a person to deem outlier sales, as there are just too many instances of them.

image.png.1d6a676f86c8ef0a1757afc0c77be346.png

Edited by comicwiz

6 minutes ago, comicwiz said:
23 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Looks like the high bidder on the Jun 17th auction was a non-paying bidder at $1700. Relisted twice with no bids at $1500. It shouldn't be reported to GPA.

Stuff like this happens quite often actually, and not just with comics. It's even wierder when an out of whack sale occurs, and a sale from what looks to be the same seller a month earier, with a graded example to boot, sells for just shy of $5K, and a month later, loose, ungraded, sells for $50K. These pricing tools need to be reviewed by a person to deem outlier sales, as there are just too many instances of them.

Yup.  GPA does list it...

Sale.jpg