• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I think he is talking about people he personally knows that have seen it, not "in the tank" critics who were invited to a film festival.  

For the record, the trailer does nothing for me either.  

-J.

Interpreter too?

its just gets overwhelming thumbs up

Where is that noted here versus your expert analysis?

6 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Not really for my part in that I think they can compliment each other - both as artists trying to make art as opposed to entertainment. I think it's playing the role of the Joker that can bring different things from different actors. I'd love to see a Joker trilogy with a different actor/actress for the Joker in each film exploring different facets of the character. I'm sure it would be a commercial bomb (but they wouldn't have to cost much) and it could be brilliant. 2c

Wouldn`t it be something though as for years comic book fans considered the Heath Ledger Joker supporting actor Oscar winning performance as the crown jewel of super hero/comic book films performances, but maybe this year Joaquin Phoenix has a chance at best oscar for an actor as the Joker?

It goes to show us the Joker really is a great role, maybe even better than Batman for the big screen.

I am going to predict this new Joker movie becomes DC`s most critically acclaimed movie of all-time!

What a run DC`s been on. Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam and now Joker.

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Wouldn`t it be something though as for years comic book fans considered the Heath Ledger Joker supporting actor Oscar winning performance as the crown jewel of super hero/comic book films performances, but maybe this year Joaquin Phoenix has a chance at best oscar for an actor as the Joker?

It goes to show us the Joker really is a great role, maybe even better than Batman for the big screen.

I am going to predict this new Joker movie becomes DC`s most critically acclaimed movie of all-time!

What a run DC`s been on. Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam and now Joker.

i sense something is missing here.  what could it be? Green Lantern? no, that was earlier. Batman v Superman, also earlier. Suicide Squad, getting warmer but not quite. Oh, yes, the fourth turd in the punch bowl: Justice League.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

So it looks like we will have a interesting upcoming debate soon.

Heath Ledger vs. Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker. 

image.jpeg.e58920903c8d91d861660a73864d18bc.jpeg

Keep in mind everyone was pissed when they released the first images of Ledger.

And Phoenix is more an origin story. It will take another film I think with the Bat
as a main character to compare the two.

Personally I don't think anyone will ever top Ledger. That performance had
the audience applauding some stunts he did like the pencil. Like Alfred said
in the film. "Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Phoenix will do fine he is a good actor I just don't see him topping Ledger.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Keep in mind everyone was pissed when they released the first images of Ledger.

And Phoenix is more an origin story. It will take another film I think with the Bat
as a main character to compare the two.

Personally I don't think anyone will ever top Ledger. That performance had
the audience applauding some stunts he did like the pencil. Like Alfred said
in the film. "Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Phoenix will do fine he is a good actor I just don't see him topping Ledger.

We will see my friend. This trailer here was the one that sold me that we got something special and different here.

7 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I think he is talking about people he personally knows that have seen it, not "in the tank" critics who were invited to a film festival.  

For the record, the trailer does nothing for me either.  

-J.

You just hate everything, right?

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Folks going forward  it is all right we disagree with each other. That`s cool. We can still be friends. 

A difference in opinion doesn`t mean we have to hate each other.

We can still be friends!

CC

:foryou:

What's that code for?

:baiting:

8 hours ago, paperheart said:

i sense something is missing here.  what could it be? Green Lantern? no, that was earlier. Batman v Superman, also earlier. Suicide Squad, getting warmer but not quite. Oh, yes, the fourth turd in the punch bowl: Justice League.

emotion01.gif.8c2592829f2e166e7ffc501d71d4c016.gif

'HEY MAAAAA? Can we get some meatloaf?!'

15 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

The trailer didn't make me want to see it. I will wait unless its just gets overwhelming thumbs up.

You know what, I felt exactly the same way after seeing the trailer. I couldn't be more disinterested. Which is really odd considering the actor & character involved. 

12 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The primary difference being:

Heath Ledger's Joker was a complete surprise. He had never done anything in his acting career like that before.

Joaquin Phoenix was basically made for the role. No one will be surprised by his performance.

The Dark Knight is a Joker movie in a Batman-titled film. I just don't think there's a contest.

17 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

What I'm concerned with is people going in to see this one but expecting it to be like the other. From everything said and seen about the movie, it's basically a character study of one man's descent into despair and madness(ish). 

Will the general public go in with that foreknowledge and set their expectations accordingly, or will we hear a bunch of "No Batman!? No 'splosions?! This movie sucks! #DCFailz!!"

I'm just hoping it doesn't become another "critically acclaimed commercial flop", as I appreciate the fact that they decided to try something new here.

36 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Joker_IMDb01.PNG.ab7b793825da1e172e723e57ef601026.PNG

One key fact is this is most probably excitement than experience as otherwise WB did a pre-screening for a massive audience outside of VIFF. And 367 scored it a '1' to drive down the higher number.

They screened it to almost 9,000 people?  And all of them voted on IMDB?  I'm guessing most of these reviews (positive and negative) are internet warriors wanting to give this film a good or bad rating.  Critics have this at a better than average 75.  And I'm pretty sure they actually saw the film.