• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

Dannng. That's some dedication to the arts right there.

Phoenix negated being influenced by past silver screen Jokers. "For me the attraction to make this film was we were going to approach it in our own way. I didn’t refer to any past iterations of [the Joker]. It just felt like our own creations, which was really important to me and the key to it."

Phoenix lost 52 pounds for the part, fully inhabiting his own version of the character which first appeared in the original Batman comic in 1940. Losing weight in such a short time helped Phoenix get in character. "It turns out that affects your psychology. You start to go mad," he said. Todd Phillips also gave him a blank journal/joke book which helped him uncover his character as he began to fill in the pages, with words and images that are seen in the film.

It looks like Warner Brothers' latest comic book movie might end up making quite the splash at the box office. As first reactions to the movie began surfacing, Box Office Pro updated the opening weekend range for the film to $70M to $95M. On the low end of the range, Joke would still edge out recent releases such as Shazam! and Aquaman. Should it make upwards of $95m — or even more — in its opening weekend, it'd near the top five DC Comics films ever released.

Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman currently sits in the sixth slot with a massive $103m opening weekend haul while Man of Steel is in the coveted fifth spot at $116.6m. The movie is receiving rave reviews from critics, debuting with an 85 percent Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. As of this writing, the film has been bumped up to an 88 percent rating on the review aggregating site.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Not a chance.  You need a massive general audience, including families and date nighters to turn out to get numbers anywhere near this, and this movie is not that kind of movie, even according to the three dozen or so critics who have posted reviews on it.   It isn't fun or funny, and it is "dark" with no Batman.  There is a reason why Venom went the PG 13, "hey let's have Tom Hardy jump in a lobster tank", route.

The YouTube final trailer view numbers aren't that great on this either.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

45 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Not a chance.  You need a massive general audience, including families and date nighters to turn out to get numbers anywhere near this, and this movie is not that kind of movie, even according to the three dozen or so critics who have posted reviews on it.   It isn't fun or funny, and it is "dark" with no Batman.  There is a reason why Venom went the PG 13, "hey let's have Tom Hardy jump in a lobster tank", route.

The YouTube final trailer view numbers aren't that great on this either.  

-J.

Time will tell soon enough. :popcorn:

I know this movie is different because it's rated R, but movies with the Joker have always been huge hits. Batman(1989) and The Dark Knight are two of the biggest blockbusters of all time. Even the crummy Suicide Squad did big box office, largely on the strength of the Joker being featured prominently in the trailer(false advertising). So we should take a wait and see approach on the new movie. R rated movies like IT and Deadpool made over 300 million at the box office. 

I think I’ll quite like this one.

It sounds as if it’s going to be a Batman equivalent to Logan, which is my favourite X-Men film.

Similarly story-driven, without over reliance on bombastic CGI.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Joker director Todd Phillips says his R-rated character study was never meant to compete with Marvel Studios’ blockbuster superhero fare.

“I don’t know about competition with Marvel and that thing, I’ve never been in the comic book world,” Phillips said during a Venice Film Festival conference Saturday when asked if DC’s approach to director-driven cinema could be a “useful tool” in the studio’s competition with Marvel. “When we originally conceived this idea, it was very much about this sort of genre, of taking a different approach with it.”

Phillips wanted to do something “completely different from the comic book movies that have come before” in his first foray into the diverse genre, treating Joker like a ‘70s-era character study inspired by such seminal classics as One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and Taxi Driver.

“I don’t know what sort of effect it will have with other filmmakers. I think the comic book movies have been doing really well, and they don’t necessarily need a change,” Phillips said. “We just thought it could be an exciting approach to this genre. I’m not sure what it means for DC, or Marvel, how they’ll change the way they’ll do it.”

I like that thought process. Making the film be what it needs to be in order to tell a story. Not to compete or copy a company.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:31 AM, Jaydogrules said:

The days of movie critics making or breaking a film are long gone.  

I notice nobody else here has really ventured a guess on this movie's box office, so I'll be the first.  Unfortunately, these critics are confirming my worst impressions of this film from the trailers that it is a pretentious artsy-fartsy bore.

Its R-rating and lack of general audience appeal will be somewhat offset in the first week by the "Joker" name recognition.  $40MM-$50MM domestic opening, topping out at $200MM-$250MM worldwide due to scant international audience interest.  

-J.

I’ll take this bet.it will do better than these numbers $100? 

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 8/31/2019 at 1:58 PM, Bosco685 said:

Interesting. The one negative review via Metacritic suggests starting a GoFundMe to help Phoenix out with acting classes.

Times_Joker.thumb.PNG.fb8f9de6b6afcfe2cc91703d275c5e60.PNG

But she gave Endgame a positive even though she didn't feel it was great.

Time_Endgame.thumb.PNG.5cbef6c31f5be422155d892107706f4a.PNG

Critics know they can’t upset the house of mouse

ive shown in the past the same inconsistencies in critics giving the Disney movies positive scores despite having issues with them. 

38 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Other than major review sites giving it a 5/5, 9/10 or 10/10 in the majority?

:insane:

I think he is talking about people he personally knows that have seen it, not "in the tank" critics who were invited to a film festival.  

For the record, the trailer does nothing for me either.  

-J.