• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the Boomers cashing out?
6 6

380 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2017 at 3:06 PM, Aweandlorder said:

I love this place. I swear to you, theres nothing more entertaining than this message board.

2 months ago, everything was drying up. This month everyones unloading :roflmao:

Everyone's experience, location, buying power, collecting focus, hours dedicated to the hobby, etc. determine the perceived state of the comics world. It's different for everyone based on tons of factors that separate us all. For every garage sale or auction we see, there are more private collections still being amassed. As long as people are buying, there will be people selling. :whistle:The circle of (comic book) life :whistle:  It's interesting to see others' perspectives for sure but don't read too much into it as all that can change with one lucky break, or just being in the right place at the right time. Books are still out there and people are enjoying the hobby. It's still a great time to be alive in my book :)

Edited by Rhymenoceros

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It consistently goes for over $1,000 top grade certified. I consider it to have AF#15 potential. It is a holy grail to some.

Not now,but I could see it getting up there in price a decade from now.

nintendo-nes-legend-of-zelda-vga-80-nm-holy-grail-2efa7b8b0b7ecc6606fe228f9fdacedb.jpg

God, what a great game.  It was the first quest type game I'd ever played and it honestly rocked my world.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It consistently goes for over $1,000 top grade certified. I consider it to have AF#15 potential. It is a holy grail to some.

Not now,but I could see it getting up there in price a decade from now.

nintendo-nes-legend-of-zelda-vga-80-nm-holy-grail-2efa7b8b0b7ecc6606fe228f9fdacedb.jpg

I get where you're coming from, I thought the same thing, too. It's a later release, though, so it's more common which keeps the price in check. $1000 for an NES game is not much, believe me. Prices for NES are cray-cray. The early black box games, especially with the sticker seals, are much tougher and those would be the real foundation of NES as maybe AF15 and FF1 are for SA Marvel.

No, generally speaking, boomers are not cashing out. 

Some books have gone up so much (say Amazing Fantasy 15  and the  other major keys) that collectors who have owned those books for a long time and purchased them at (by today's standards)  very low prices are now very, very tempted to sell. In the late 80's  early 90's a VF copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 might have cost you a three grand.  CL's auction of an 8.0 last month closed over 250K.   That makes owners  notice - and think about selling.

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

To a generation that was there Spider-Man. (thumbsu

I bought that mini nes console because it had Zelda 1 on it... It's probably the only game I beat so far lol

Good Times :)

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:
23 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

God, what a great game.  It was the first quest type game I'd ever played and it honestly rocked my world.

To a generation that was there Spider-Man. (thumbsu

Sure was.  I'd played Pacman and Dig Dug and Pinball and a few Nintendo games but had never seen anything like Zelda.  

3 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Sure was.  I'd played Pacman and Dig Dug and Pinball and a few Nintendo games but had never seen anything like Zelda.  

pinball super underrated.  also a great forgotten Nintendo game, "Superspike V'ball"

I always thought spyhunter and tmnt1 were good or underrated, I was disappointed that those weren't on the release of the mini nes..... They had punch out and startropics though

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 2017-08-28 at 6:20 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

I get where you're coming from, I thought the same thing, too. It's a later release, though, so it's more common which keeps the price in check. $1000 for an NES game is not much, believe me. 

Yeah it's a low grade later edition.    Zelda has gone for five figures for the first edition, and that was years ago.   Sealed firsts are super rare so ninsales lately.

a very early (but not first, technically 4th) edition super Mario bros sold a shade over 30k more recently.    Here's the sellers blog.    I confirmed the deal with the buyer as well whom I've known many years

https://www.dkoldies.com/blog/did-dkoldies-really-just-sell-an-nes-game-super-mario-for-over-30000/

i lucked out and found a sealed true first edition a few years back.    Only two known so far (though I'm sure there will eventually be others).  It was bought by an older collector who bought copies many games at launch and then passed away.   The earlier games (atari etc) were opened more often and by the time he collected NES he opened very few.

https://m.imgur.com/Bar3oLS

Also, might interest some to know that the OO of the White Mountain collection kept some sealed NES as well.   Those were sold on eBay a little while ago; a friend bought the white mountain Zelda.

lots of little revisions to the boxes and complete sell thru at retail leaves the earliest versions (only produced for a very short while and possible to date by the nature of the revisions) exceedingly rare sealed.    Sealed usually came from some store or distributors leftover inventory, and only the later versions didn't sell thru, meaning when you find a sealed one it's almost always the later editions.   No kid is his right mind would get an expensive present like that in 1985 and not open it.   It's not a coincidence mine came from one of the few adults collecting/hoarding at that time.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

There were no video games when "Boomers" were kids.  :preach: (shrug)  hm  :hi:

I had an Atari game system with Pong and such when I was a kid.  In fact, I still have it.  I was born in 1961, so I am a Boomer by most accounting.

On 8/28/2017 at 9:20 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

I get where you're coming from, I thought the same thing, too. It's a later release, though, so it's more common which keeps the price in check. $1000 for an NES game is not much, believe me. Prices for NES are cray-cray. The early black box games, especially with the sticker seals, are much tougher and those would be the real foundation of NES as maybe AF15 and FF1 are for SA Marvel.

To clarify. :smile:

I am not trying to compare the Zelda,Metroid and Mega Man NES games with rare holy grails like Action 1 and Tec 27.

Think of the comparing Zelda,Metroid and Mega Man NES games to AF#15 and Incredible Hulk #181.

An example is a AF #15 CGC 2.0 could have been had 10 years ago about 2 grand now it is at least 12 grand!

A  Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.0 could have been had 10 years ago for under a grand,now good luck finding one at that price.

I see the same pattern for the Nintendo three video games of Zelda,Metroid and Mega Man will all at least double in value this next decade.

The three franchises are iconic just like Spider-Man, Iron Man and Wolverine. 

Nintendo 1985 to 1996 was the Marvel Comics 1961 to 1975.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Was funny I was looking at prices from OSPG 1987 of some prices of "grails" today. All in Mint: IH181 for 32$ HOS 92 for 25.00 ASM 129 14.00 IM 55 wasn't even listed seperately as 1st Thanos!! It just said Starlin c/a 4.00$ ?

Meanwhile the same year books like fish police 1 were 28.00 and elemental 15.00

58 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

To clarify. :smile:

I am not trying to compare the Zelda,Metroid and Mega Man NES games with rare holy grails like Action 1 and Tec 27.

Think of the comparing Zelda,Metroid and Mega Man NES games to AF#15 and Incredible Hulk #181.

An example is a AF #15 CGC 2.0 could have been had 10 years ago about 2 grand now it is at least 12 grand!

A  Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.0 could have been had 10 years ago for under a grand,now good luck finding one at that price.

I see the same pattern for the Nintendo three video games of Zelda,Metroid and Mega Man will all at least double in value this next decade.

The three franchises are iconic just Spider-Man, Iron Man and Wolverine. 

Nintendo 1985 to 1996 was the Marvel Comics 1961 to 1975.

When I started collecting 15 years ago,

A sealed metroid was about $150, a sealed mega man was about $600 but pretty well impossible to locate, and a sealed zelda was about $200(?) if I recall?    And there was no differences/premiums on different versions.

These days all three have gone into various five figure numbers for the first versions, and the later versions in really nice but not flawless condition would be about... 1500, 3500(?)(harder to guage), 2500.

I think that they will double in ten years is a total no brainer, yeah, and probably too conservative.     Ten years is a really long time and they are still relatively affordable.

Edited by Bronty

45 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Was funny I was looking at prices from OSPG 1987 of some prices of "grails" today. All in Mint: IH181 for 32$ HOS 92 for 25.00 ASM 129 14.00 IM 55 wasn't even listed seperately as 1st Thanos!! It just said Starlin c/a 4.00$ ?

Meanwhile the same year books like fish police 1 were 28.00 and elemental 15.00

ha!   great stuff.    I remember the $4 on IM55 distinctly!   I bought one for exactly that price in exactly that year.

4 minutes ago, Bronty said:

When I started collecting 15 years ago,

A sealed metroid was about $150, a sealed mega man was about $600 but pretty well impossible to locate, and a sealed zelda was about $200(?) if I recall?    And there was no differences/premiums on different versions.

These days all three have gone into various five figure numbers for the first versions, and the later versions in really nice but not flawless condition would be about... 1500, 3500(?)(harder to guage), 2500.

I think that they will double in ten years is a total no brainer, yeah, and probably too conservative.     Ten years is a really long time and they are still relatively affordable.

Yep, I 100 percent agree with you. Plus videogaming is a much bigger and more mainstream hobby than comics,so skys the limit with certain games.

6 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yep, I 100 percent agree with you. Plus videogaming is a much bigger and more mainstream hobby than comics,so skys the limit with certain games.

Its funny... its like the ultimate mainstream activity, but as a hobby, the majority of the participants don't even realize there's that side to it yet.    So the potential is just enormous as every year more people do get drawn in and its still very much scratching the surface, but at the same time, like any hobby, there are potential threats too.    

Yup. I paid £1-50 for my UK pence copy of IM 55 around then.

Edited by Ken Aldred