• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA/SA High Grade and Pedigrees -- Part Deux
8 8

90 posts in this topic

***SOLD***

Vault of Horror #38 Gaines File Copy:  Gaines copies are incredible due to the lack of handling by distributor staff as they were shipped directly from the printer to the EC Offices.  Gaines then carefully wrapped each set and placed them in storage until they were sold.  That's how a black cover like this moody Johnny Craig comic could survive in such incredible shape.  Although I bought back in the 90s, this is one of the few comics in my collection that I never read.

Census:  Tied for highest with four others.  This 9.8 with white pages is yours for $3250.

Gaines Certificate (2 of 12) will be shipped with the book.

VOH38cgc.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Wonder 17:  What's not to like about this lovely Schomburg airbrush cover.

Census:  Tied with 6 others for third highest. CGC 9.0 off-white for $1000.

Wonder17.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Marvel Mystery Comics #12:  If you like red, and to be honest, who doesn't, then you'll love the cover to MM 12.  This copy came from the same OO collection referenced earlier in the thread and has the most intense gloss and colors of any in the little set.  Pair that up with a dynamic Jack Kirby cover and a wild interior and you have a showpiece that looks even better in person.

A 9.0 (of unknown page quality) sold for $9750 in July while this  CGC 8.5 with ow/w pages from 1940 is yours for $5500.

MM12cgc.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

16 minutes ago, Comcav said:

take it Wonder 17

Thanks!!

All-Select #8:  This Schomburg black cover (one of only a handful ever done for Timely) is a perfect compliment to the fiery red of the Marvel Mystery 12 above.

CGC 7.5 off-white for $1600.

Note:  This is not from the OO Collection referenced earlier.

Allselect8cgc2.jpg

39 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Tales of Suspense #10 White Mountain Copy:  I'm a big fan of both Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko and I'm especially pleased when they were teamed together like they were for this cover art.  It's a shame this copy is encapsulated because the gloss looks dripping wet and the pages are snow white.  I've been hunting for pre-hero Marvels for 30 years and I've not seen copies, pedigrees or otherwise, look any prettier than the White Mountains.  For earlier issues like the TOS 10, it is heads and shoulders better than anything else I've run across.

Census:  Sole highest.  CGC 9.6 white pages for $6000.

TOS10.jpg

Always liked this cover, but I didn't even know this book existed, guess I never realized that the covers from Where Monsters Dwell were reprints of the old Atlas books. This is a stunning copy too. (worship)

33 minutes ago, tth2 said:

You need to be selling this in a year when I haven't already blown all my money! :pullhair:

Time payments :idea:

***SOLD***

Space Western #40 Spokane Copy:  This is the first issue of what is both the strangest Western and the strangest Sci Fi comic title of the 1950s and that's saying a lot given the competition.  Spurs Jackson stars with his "Space Vigilantes" in this sci-fi Western mash up that is wacky cool and extremely difficult to find in grade.  This copy comes from the Spokane Collection and is as glossy and white as was typical for this pedigree.  Starting at some point in the 1950s, the original owner purposely stored his comics in a commercial refrigerator and it preserved his comics to an amazing degree.  Even though this is a Charlton, printed on poor quality paper, it looks newsstand fresh.

Census:  1 in 8.0.  This raw vf/nm copy with white pages is $1100.

SpaceWest40.jpg

SpaceWest40bk.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

8 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Space Western #40 Spokane Copy:  This is the first issue of what is both the strangest Western and the strangest Sci Fi comic title of the 1950s and that's saying a lot given the competition.  Spurs Jackson stars with his "Space Vigilantes" in this sci-fi Western mash up that is wacky cool and extremely difficult to find in grade.  This copy comes from the Spokane Collection and is as glossy and white as was typical for this pedigree.  Starting at some point in the 1950s, the original owner purposely stored his comics in a commercial refrigerator and it preserved his comics to an amazing degree.  Even though this is a Charlton, printed on poor quality paper, it looks newsstand fresh.

Census:  1 in 8.0.  This raw vf/nm copy with white pages is $1100.

SpaceWest40.jpg

SpaceWest40bk.jpg

Take it

3 minutes ago, Supernerd said:

Take it -- Space West 40

Thanks!!!

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Tales to Astonish 12:  This is not a pedigree copy but with an unblemished delicate light blue background and pages it sure looks like one.

Census: Sole second highest behind one in 9.4.  (It might be tied with another copy if the Census hasn't been updated yet).  CGC 9.2 white for $1800.

TTA12cgc.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Strange Tales #93 White Mountain:  As nice as the prior books presents, it's still a small notch down from a WM like this one.  The front cover has the appearance of near mint with all of the sparkle you'd expect but a barely perceptible ncb hairline crease/bend results in a more affordable grade.  This cgc 8.0 white is only $750.

StrangeTales93cgc.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Journey Into Mystery #66 White Mountain:  Like the ST 93, the front cover has the appearance of near mint with all of the sparkle you'd expect but a barely perceptible ncb hairline crease/bend results in a more affordable grade.  I've included a scan from a few years before it was entombed.  This cgc 8.0 white is $2000.

JIM66cgc.jpg

JIM66.jpg

Edited by adamstrange