• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baltimore Comic Convention - My 2 Cents
2 2

76 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Wow - what a busy day yesterday.  Got in early and it's always a thrill to watch the place come alive with so many vendors.  The number of comic dealers seems to be the same as last year so people must be making good money considering the fairly high booth prices.  My only complaint would be the exact same dealers were in the exact same spot as last year as the year before.  Some new books obviously compared to last year but it seems to be exactly the same year after year with very little new blood.  I think I'm going to hit up the Cincinatti Con (or Dale's Con to a few) next year and try something new.

I had to leave fairly early to drive back to Cleveland yesterday but seeing all the board members and searching for all the gems in the rough was well worth the trip.  I actually think I spend 90% of my budget at board member booths this year so you guys bring the goods.  

I did have a complaint about the CGC booth this year.  It seemed so unorganized compared to previous years.  Multiple lines with no one knowing which was which.  I had 125 books to drop off for non onsite which I guess is being called Express service and I got shuffled to three lines before getting great customer service once I got to the booth.  People seemed frustrated in line which seemed to give off a weird vibe in the morning.  Hope it gets better today for the rush.  

I took a great picture with Baltimore Laren but I look terrible in it.  I don't look good with my eyes open let alone looking like I'm pass out drunk.  Oh well - Laren and her friend where fun to talk to so I'll post it.

IMG_4044.JPG

Good to see you out the face paint once in awhile, 1Cool.  :applause:

42 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

My first Baltimore comic con. Mostly worth the trip. It is definitely more of a comic book con than a comic entertainment con that many other shows have morphed into. Having been to Wizard Chicago last month, however, I kind of felt like I was seeing a bunch of the same books. I would agree with Hudson that GAtor had one of the more impressive booths, not just for the high grade top-dog books, but also many others in mid- to upper-mid grade, both GA and SA. Bedrock City had some absolutely amazing high-grade MLJs. Flying Donut was true to his word that he had about 70 boxes of GA books (not that I was counting).

It was great to meet some new boardies (Hudson of course!, Scrooge, Flying Donut, foolkiller) and catch up with other boardies (143ksk, bedrock, Greg Reece).

My haul was modest, courtesy of Richard @bedrockcomics :

Nice pick ups. 

Congrats and thanks for sharing the photos.

I have to agree with Hudson. I saw less GA than I normally do and I only noticed because that's not my focus but love to look at the covers. I found a fair amount of later eras filling in the gaps on the wallbooks where GA might normally be.  

I also have to agree that with the exception of greg reece's booth (who brought a new 120 box collection on top of the standard high grade GA/SA/BA/CA stuff), nearly all the other dealer stock was the same stuff I saw from those that were at awesome con, heroes con, or SDCC.

Other observations were:

Many dealer walls have become top heating up books on ebay. Makes sense but those books seemed to have crowded out the normal keys.

And if that is being done to cater to the speculator or young movie collector crowd, it must be working as I frequently heard buyers asking if the dealer had "insert latest hyped movie/show/speculative book". Often the response would be, one of among "it just sold" or "you're the x guy asked me that today" or "it sold first thing today, I never have them for long."

It does concern me but I was able to find a couple of HTF HG variants I'd been looking for that only seem to exist on ebay (thanks Jason).

Hope to find something more to spend on tomorrow.:wishluck:

12 hours ago, justafan said:

And if that is being done to cater to the speculator or young movie collector crowd, it must be working as I frequently heard buyers asking if the dealer had "insert latest hyped movie/show/speculative book". Often the response would be, one of among "it just sold" or "you're the x guy asked me that today" or "it sold first thing today, I never have them for long."

As it has always been, and forever will be :)

13 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Today's pick ups. Lots of fun books. A keeper. Some original art. 

IMG_4198.JPG

Nice pick ups.

I noted that Spirit (from Greg Reese) in my list of best books I saw at the convention.

Absolutely beautiful book!

Had a great time yesterday. It was a magazine paradise. Got to knock one must have off my list and picked up plenty of nice books. The only book I was looking for that seemed to be missing was a raw Crow #1. There were a few high graded CGC copies, but way out of my price range. And I got to meet Towelie. 

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1610 (2).jpg

8 minutes ago, wombat said:

Had a great time yesterday. It was a magazine paradise. Got to knock one must have off my list and picked up plenty of nice books. The only book I was looking for that seemed to be missing was a raw Crow #1. There were a few high graded CGC copies, but way out of my price range. And I got to meet Towelie. 

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1610 (2).jpg

wombat why your eye's red (thumbsu