• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Cubes Review
3 3

47 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Do you not keep your cgc slabs in their bags...? Or do you buy the bags when you need them later?

I bag all of my CGC books. I don't use the bags that CGC provides, however. I use bags from hotflips which have the seal in the back.

Edited by NamesJay

53 minutes ago, NamesJay said:

I bag all of my CGC books. I don't use the bags that CGC provides, however. I use bags from hotflips which have the seal in the back.

Ah I see them now that I'm on my laptop, on my phone it was hard to see. Definitely looks better with those kinds of bags as the plastic is "clearer", and they present better with the label being more identifiable. I didn't know where to get those, so Hotflips... good to know 

1 hour ago, shortboxed said:

@NamesJay Will the wider CGC slabs also fit in the drawers? Like for TMNT 1, etc. 

I don't "think" so because I don't have any larger ones to test. There is a small amount of space on the sides, but if I had to guess I would say 'no' these won't fit larger books like Golden age.

46 minutes ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

Wow! Those storage units are top notch! I must get one. Do you know what the difference is between the Comic cubes and the Comic condos? @NamesJay

Comic cubes, I believe, are stand alone units that you can stack on top of each other.

Comic condos have preset configurations that you can choose from (3x2, 4x2, etc.)

41 minutes ago, NamesJay said:

I don't "think" so because I don't have any larger ones to test. There is a small amount of space on the sides, but if I had to guess I would say 'no' these won't fit larger books like Golden age.

Thanks. Do the top drawers feel fairly sturdy when you pull them out completely with a full drawer of slabs?

9 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah I see them now that I'm on my laptop, on my phone it was hard to see. Definitely looks better with those kinds of bags as the plastic is "clearer", and they present better with the label being more identifiable. I didn't know where to get those, so Hotflips... good to know 

You can check these out as well. These are the ones I use, they are resealable and of high quality:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-Diamond-CGC-Luxurious-Mylar-Bags-Extras-SUPER-FAST-Priority-Mail-Shipping/190853598404?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

12 hours ago, NamesJay said:

I'm sure several of you are familiar with 'Comic Cubes' -- a website that builds custom storage solutions for several types of merchandise, including CGC graded comic books.

Their site is at http://www.comiccubes.com

I ordered one a couple months ago and it arrived yesterday on a palette, delivered from a shipping company. Item arrived in one piece, except for a small nick on the back of the cabinet. It isn't/wasn't worth making a fuss over. I'll just use a black marker to cover over the small piece of white showing.

Each drawer holds 30 regular sized CGC comics.

The cabinet comes with foam inserts (one for each drawer) so that your CGC books won't get knocked around. There is also a hard particle board resembling item (one for each drawer) -- not sure what thats purpose is. I've sent out an e-mail inquiring as to its expected usage.

I opted for a 4x2 size, and with shipping it came out to approximately $1200. I'm very happy with the purchase. It's a nice piece of furniture and looks a lot better than the corrugated storage boxes that my books were housed in.

It might not be for everyone, but as a personal collector it does a more than adequate job of housing my collection. I might pick up another one in the future, and at that point I'll be set for decades because I don't have nearly the quantity that some others on this board have.

If you have any questions let me know, I'll be happy to answer them for you!

They look REALLY nice. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for posting!  I've been curious about these for a few years.  Do they offer different colors?  Also, how are the tracks for the drawers?  Smooth?  Loud?  Auto-shut?

And +1 for HotFlips.  I love their flip & stick bags.  They make the slabs look SO much better than the default bags CGC uses.

It would be cool if you could put a lock on it, like you would a file cabinet. I've often thought to buy a file cabinet from a business going out of business. One of my LCS uses file cabinets for raws, I don't know how slabs would work or if that is a bad idea :) 

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

They are nice, but for $1200, Ill keep my books in comic drawers and buy a couple of Schomburg war covers. 

As they say, this is why Bask in Robbins offers dozens of flavors. I'm glad you think they are worth it. In the end, that's what matters.

Thats what I love about collecting and interacting with other collectors (mainly on-line, because in real life very few from my social network collect). Seeing what others collect, but also how they store their valuable collections and display them. I am also one of those who really enjoy the aspect of -almost compulsively- sorting, archiving, storing. So I totally understand NamesJay and empathise with the kick one can get from something like this (thumbsu.