• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Relevant???

21 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

I think the point divad is trying to make is that is the hobby is supported by old geezers and eventually the hobby will become irrelevant to most people and be forgotten.

so we should all be selling everything now? NOW! NOW!!!!!!

1 minute ago, jaeldubyoo said:

I think the point divad is trying to make is that is the hobby is supported by old geezers and eventually the hobby will become irrelevant to most people and be forgotten.

Thanks. I was thinking that at first, but figured it was something more esoteric. There is still fresh blood in the hobby, I'll be 35 this weekend and I'll be doing my part to keep it relevant.

Love Zippy.

Tenuously related, my only Mickey Rooney story:

For some reason, several years ago, Mickey Rooney was a guest at DragonCon. I was walking the rows of the "celebrity" area and saw him sitting at a table, alone with his handler. The handler was actively haranguing passersby, "Come meet Mickey Rooney! One of the biggest stars in the world!" Something to that effect, but no one was stopping. Mickey seemed sad and angry, and finally he yelled at the handler, "Stop it, you're embarrassing me."

It made me sad.

And that's my story.

(No, I didn't go talk to him either.)

1 minute ago, SteelyDanBlows said:

I find this post ironic, as you had no idea who a cultural icon like Zippy the Pinhead was hm

Steely Dan insult in user name + Zippy the Pinhead related cultural one upsmanship = my favorite newb first post ever! Welcome aboard!

Just now, Jimbo749 said:

So because i was unaware of this 3-panel comic strip, does that mean I can't spend money on comic books to keep them going?

hm

Hmm.

Yes. Yes it does mean that very thing. Please turn in your comic buying badge. 

13 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Love Zippy.

For some reason, several years ago, Mickey Rooney was a guest at DragonCon. I was walking the rows of the "celebrity" area and saw him sitting at a table, alone with his handler. The handler was actively haranguing passersby, "Come meet Mickey Rooney! One of the biggest stars in the world!" Something to that effect, but no one was stopping. Mickey seemed sad and angry, and finally he yelled at the handler, "Stop it, you're embarrassing me."

It made me sad.

And that's my story.

well dang O.olol 

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Steely Dan insult in user name + Zippy the Pinhead related cultural one upsmanship = my favorite newb first post ever! Welcome aboard!

Gee I'm so happy I was able to play matchmaker for you two...

But for real, if there is a history lesson to be learned, share it, i.e. do YOUR part to keep things relevant.

Have a good weekend!

1 minute ago, Jimbo749 said:

Gee I'm so happy I was able to play matchmaker for you two...

But for real, if there is a history lesson to be learned, share it, i.e. do YOUR part to keep things relevant.

Have a good weekend!

I had never heard of "zippy" either lollooks familiar but it didn't ever set in my memory :)

5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Love Zippy.

It made me sad.

And that's my story.

Should have had him sign this!

46082-HP1.jpg.ba427375b29ab65db6366dbd64

Edited by Jayman

12 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

I'm trying to find the correlation, but I think it's lost on me.

Zippy the Pinhead... never seen it, I was expecting a sideshow character.

Well, Zippy is a sideshow character (as all good students of Griffy know!) The point has only been touched on above. Modern comics are re-selling for more than most BA and SA books have been. (Absurd!) Why is that? (because youth is wasted on the young.) (You won't get that either.) Any GA collector (regardless of age) knows who Mickey Rooney was.  As do most SA and BA collectors. Zippy is the usher in the theater of the absurd.  No one collects stamps anymore except Lawrence Block's Hitman. Disposable income . . . that's the marketplace! :grin:

When I was around eight or so, I was visiting NY and my Grandmother and Aunts took me to a play.  Mickey Rooney was starring in it, playing George M. Cohen. 

I knew Mickey from watching movies and was expecting to see a blonde haired teenager, not a fat old short guy.  Don't remember anything about the play, but remember we went to the Auto Mat afterward.

On 10/14/2017 at 1:24 AM, divad said:

Well, Zippy is a sideshow character (as all good students of Griffy know!) The point has only been touched on above. Modern comics are re-selling for more than most BA and SA books have been. (Absurd!) Why is that? (because youth is wasted on the young.) (You won't get that either.) Any GA collector (regardless of age) knows who Mickey Rooney was.  As do most SA and BA collectors. Zippy is the usher in the theater of the absurd.  No one collects stamps anymore except Lawrence Block's Hitman. Disposable income . . . that's the marketplace! :grin:

Thank you for trying to explain divad.  I am aware of some of the crazy prices on moderns today,  especially the variant craze.  As I understand, many of these books don't have the intrinsic "value" (first appearances,  etc.) of GA/SA, many times with the "manufactured" rarity being the selling point rather than the contents of the book and it's significance.