• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,826 posts in this topic

Ecgt - I would say that will depend on what happens at next auction. Ie I think people would want to see these price points repeated to really have much confidence in them. Personally I am kind of hoping they come back down to reality, or what has been reality

What he said

Ecgt - I would say that will depend on what happens at next auction. Ie I think people would want to see these price points repeated to really have much confidence in them. Personally I am kind of hoping they come back down to reality, or what has been reality

Yep, it's a bad time to start chasing these babies.

I agree with this point in particular and agree with Dan and Stephen that time will tell. I certainly won't get caught up in the hype, but I remain curious as to whether or not some of the high priced stuff on eBay will start moving. I don't profess to be a fortune teller (maybe a navel-gazer!), but I will be tracking eBay sales and unsold items closely over the next while.

I agree with this point in particular and agree with Dan and Stephen that time will tell. I certainly won't get caught up in the hype, but I remain curious as to whether or not some of the high priced stuff on eBay will start moving. I don't profess to be a fortune teller (maybe a navel-gazer!), but I will be tracking eBay sales and unsold items closely over the next while.

Prices may very well continue to increase. There does seem to be more knowledge and an increase in interest in these books and a corresponding increase in auction prices. Wish I had started collecting Whites years ago.

I wish I had started collecting them a long time ago too! I feel like I have been priced out of the market.

Interestingly enough, Ivan posted a new article on Comic Book Daily today. One of the things he touches on is how the hard work of himself and others in the WECA community has led simultaneously to a renewed sincere interest in the works from the era, but also an increase in speculators

http://www.comicbookdaily.com/collecting-community/whites-tsunami-weca-splashes/summer-comiclink-auctions-weca-comics/

I think these prices will sort themselves out. If 2500 USD becomes the new normal for non-key vg Bells , some buyers may turn into sellers and push prices back down. I don't think we are seeing cheap prices ever again but I don't know that the prices at last auction are/were sustainable. Maybe I'm wrong and they are. But yeesh with exchange that's around $3300 Cdn a book.

On the plus (?) side, books from the other publishers seem to have remained relatively stable.

Just in case anybody from Comic Link reads this. The Dime 34 in the auction that starts Oct. 12 is listed as a "Canadian White" with that long vague paragraph trying to define what a "Canadian White" is. As most of us know this is a comic from 1952 that uses the old Dime masthead but is actually a reprint of the American Space Squadron #4 (Dec. 51). I hope they can fix this in the next few days. Thanks for Jim Finlay for bringing this to my attention.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't see Dime 34 on the CLINK list this morning. Perhaps they have removed it to edit it? I hope so. I like that Bell Features revived some titles during the FECA period, but you are correct that these are straight up American reprints and are certainly not Whites.

After three years of searching, I have finally finished my first complete run of a FECA series. It took the help of a fellow boardie and an eBay over-payment, but I am now the proud owner of possibly the only complete run of the Superior printings of Complete Mystery. Certainly FECA books do not garner as much attention as Whites, but I had no idea how hard it would be to complete the set when I first started. Issue # 2 is missing the centre wrap, but the other issues are complete. Here is a group shot. Hopefully, I will have time to get some scans up during Thanksgiving weekend.

165441.jpg.b0b110f266af6a87987b9f32ec89f57a.jpg

Putting this up here since I think it will get the eyes it needs. Anyone have a centerfold or coverless Dime Comics #7 that might be available for sale. I have a nice book I picked up a while back that unfortunately is missing the centerfold (I believe its is only advertising).

Thanks for your consideration.

Warmest Regards,

Jason

Added this copy of Three Aces Vol. 4, # 2 to my collection today. Other than some creases and a bit of staining it's in pretty nice shape. I love Anglo-American stuff and am glad that I can still afford it.

165517.jpg.86dfd9908492566319e6d43e6a6b9da7.jpg

Putting this up here since I think it will get the eyes it needs. Anyone have a centerfold or coverless Dime Comics #7 that might be available for sale. I have a nice book I picked up a while back that unfortunately is missing the centerfold (I believe its is only advertising).

Thanks for your consideration.

Warmest Regards,

Jason

i'll check my bits and peices box..never know.. :wishluck:

I remember reading about this when it happened. Congratulations! That is one crisp looking book, Stephen. What kind of "jedi mind trick" was involved in procuring it? I was under the impression that the library planned to keep it.