• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,826 posts in this topic

Even if it doesn't budge, it's already an incredible result.

Well, I'm probably getting shut out today. :frustrated: Good thing I won a few the last couple days. Still, I think I'm going a need a couple days to get over being this annoyed :mad:lol

I bid you up :sorry: I still winning on a couple, don't expect that to last.

On which book Dave?

Bid on most of them. Went after the Tang, wanted to upgrade and sell my copy, really liked the Better Comics also.

Did just win this

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids%2Easp&id=1133207

Boom...won this one :cloud9:

VICTORY

ROCK THUNDER....1st Canadian Costumed superhero rendered by Ted Steele

This hero preceeded Nelvana, Johnny Canuck, Freelance, Thunderfist, et al

The only hero that preceeded Rock Thunder was the Iron Man in Better Comics of March 1941 and he was not costumed

notice the Canadian Ace Hi Action in the title

RAD84099201669_16116_zpskdc8zrz3.jpg

now look at the Speed Savage One-Shot with the cover rendered by Ted Steele

Canadian Ace of Action

RADA23A3201661_132050_zpso0lgzdsa.jpg

Edited by eccomic

Boom...won this one :cloud9:

VICTORY

ROCK THUNDER....1st Canadian Costumed superhero rendered by Ted Steele

This hero preceeded Nelvana, Johnny Canuck, Freelance, Thunderfist, et al

The only hero that preceeded Rock Thunder was the Iron Man in Better Comics of March 1941 and he was not costumed

notice the Canadian Ace Hi Action in the title

RAD84099201669_16116_zpskdc8zrz3.jpg

now look at the Speed Savage One-Shot with the cover rendered by Ted Steele

Canadian Ace of Action

RADA23A3201661_132050_zpso0lgzdsa.jpg

Sweet books, absolutely great.

Unusual Comics? Not me, superb cover and worth it for that alone but more like a FECA book with reprint interiors, I prefer WECA Bells.

Here are the few I picked up:

RAD1FD57201661_125028.jpg

RADED184201661_125656.jpg

RAD8FAEC201666_1696.jpg

RAD76BC6201667_153644.jpg

Congratulations to everyone who had some wins. Some stunning books!

No wins for me this time. I wanted to get some of the Penguin issues of Wow, but they got too rich for my blood because of the high grades.

Hopefully, I will win some new books when the Anglo-Americans pop up in the next auction.

Reflecting on the results from the past few days, I think a few things are quite clear (nothing profound, but worth recapping):

1. Bell Features books continue to be strong. It looks like some record prices were achieved.

2. The love for Nelvana has definitely translated into high dollars. Triumph # 7! Wow. I'll be eating crow for a while for my prediction for that one.

3. This is also true for the other Bell Features superhero stuff: Speed Savage, the Wing and the Penguin did particularly well.

4. By comparison, the books featuring Dixon, Rex Baxter and even Johnny Canuck did not seem to garner the same amount of interest as the superhero stuff. Dime Comics 1 did very well, but other issues had underwhelming results compared to the costumed crimefighters. I see this as underwhelming because most of the issues of Wow were later (compared to the earlier issues of Dime). Mind you, the Wow issues had higher grades overall, which may be the real explanation for the success of the Penguin in particular here.

5. The Commando Comics impressed, but this is likely due to their incredibly high grades.

6. On the other hand, the Canadian Heroes did not do so well despite being a 9.0. The Canada Jack One-Shot also failed to crack $1000. Does this mean that the Educational Projects books are flying under the radar? It's too small of a sample size to be sure.

7. The Anglo-American books did not garner as much interest either. None cracked $1000. I though that Freelance # 2 would at least hit that mark.

8. The Lightning Comics 10 might have been the steal of the auction for WECA books.

9. The Victory, on the other hand, went well above what I expected. Lesson of the night: if Stephen doesn't have it and wants it, he's going for it. Congrats on adding such an awesome piece to your trove, buddy!

10. Savvy buying by Bronty and Dave (wish you had been able to get that Tang upgrade, pal). Nice job scooping up the books that fell through the cracks at lower prices guys! Totally digging the Mole cover on Triumph 29 (I hadn't seen one before the auction and compared to the other Triumphs you didn't break the bank).

11. The only Maple Leafs book, featuring my favourite Brok Windsor cover, sold for well below my expectations. I can't believe that it did not hit $1000 in 6.5. With this being the only Maple Leafs book in the auction it's hard to say whether or not this shows a weakness in Maple Leaf prices. Not enough data to make a claim either way. Yet, with Brok getting the reprint treatment by Hope Nicholson, he is a name character and this was a particularly weak result IMO.

12. Despite prices continuing to climb as a result of the increased interest in Canadian books, there were still deals to be had. For the uninitiated, some of the grades would not have been attention grabbers. In reality, the grades on many of these books were phenomenal. I don't know if any of my books would even receive a 5.0 from CGC.

13. Moving into the September auction, there is still a sizeable number of books to come. A lot more Bell Features stuff and some Anglo-American (with a Maple Leaf or two in the mix). The grades on these are much lower than the auction we just witnessed and there are not nearly the number of keys in the next batch. Whether or not the momentum continues remains to be seen, but I expect the prices in the September auction to be significantly lower than what we witnessed over the past few days.

Thoughts, opinions?

Lots of great thoughts, I'll try and do a fuller response later it re #6 it might interest you to know there was an issue of Rocket in the auction and that it did very well