• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,826 posts in this topic

Managed to pick up a few goods at a local auction earlier today. A handful of FECA books and one white: Super Comics Vol. 2 # 4. Overall it's in decent shape, a few pages are partially missing.

The auctioneers had no clue about comics and were using an issue of Tip Top (with a Charlie Brown cover) and issues of Classics Illustrated to promote the auction. I paid less for all of the books I purchased than what I had budgeted for just the Super Comics.

166062.jpg.45ebe14d63941b48e3163a7ea3a4f037.jpg

Edited by ecgt

Managed to pick up a few goods at a local auction earlier today. A handful of FECA books and one white: Super Comics Vol. 2 # 4. Overall it's in decent shape, a few pages are partially missing.

The auctioneers had no clue about comics and were using an issue of Tip Top (with a Charlie Brown cover) and issues of Classics Illustrated to promote the auction. I paid less for all of the books I purchased than what I had budgeted for just the Super Comics.

Nice Score :applause:

:applause:

Very rare Canadian White with Black and White interiors, published by Century/Superior in 1946 in Toronto and distributed in the UK. One of only 3 known copies extant with the ICONIC Pep Comics # 22 cover

DSCF1234_zpsd4hn2fdo.jpg

DSCF1235_zpstmhik5hl.jpg

Edited by eccomic

Very rare Canadian White with Black and White interiors, published by Century/Superior in 1946 in Toronto and distributed in the UK. One of only 3 known copies extant with the ICONIC Pep Comics # 22 cover

DSCF1234_zpsd4hn2fdo.jpg

DSCF1235_zpstmhik5hl.jpg

Interesting how the Axis symbols on the heel were replaced by a price box.

Almost makes it look like the guy paid 6d for his boots!

Cool book. I'm very interested to learn about the interior. Also, Space Nomads? I have a copy of Zor from the UK, but I'm not familiar with Space Nomads. Can anyone offer some insight(s)?

Here's an interesting find. It's the earliest comic made by Superior that I have ever found: Army Gags. This issue is Vol. 2, # 6 and is dated September, 1943. It is digest size and is 100 pages (including both covers). It has a crude Superior logo on the cover and on the spine, but the indicia lists the publisher as "Duchess Printing and Publishing Co." (104 Sherbourne Street, Toronto, ON). The indicia says that it was published "every six weeks"

Superior has a messy history, but I generally associate the company with FECA era books. I had long assumed that they had jumped into the game late in the WECA period and then tried to market books to the UK before become one of the main FECA publishers. Prior to now, I had assumed that Superior's earliest books had come out in 1945, as "Comedy," "Gals & Gags" and "Cartoon Parade" all appear that year. All three titles are in digest form.

The fact that this issue of Army Gags is Vol. 2, # 6 and came out in September, 1943, suggest that the first volume of this comic came out in 1942. Perhaps this is the first comic title that Superior dabbled in, but this date puts the company firmly in the middle of WECA.

Duchess was mainly a pulp and pocket book publisher. The company was a prolific publisher of pulps, with titles like "Keyhole Detective Cases," "Stirring Detective," "Private Detective" and "Real Western Stories."

What's peculiar about Army Gags is that, despite its distinctive Canadian flair, many of the comic gags were created by Americans. Most do not have creator signatures, but there is art by Gladys Parker (creator of Mopsy), Dave Breger (creator of G.I. Joe) and Chon Day. There are numerous cartoons that have U.S. Patent Office information on them and they are obviously reprints. At the same time, there are several (albeit crude) Canadian cartoons in the magazine. In some of the research I have been conducting, I have been led to believe that comic strips were exempt from WECA (as were some magazines that targeted the upper class). Duchess/Superior was likely pushing the limits and looking for loopholes in Canadian laws (something that they continued to do until 1954).

Here is a link to a youtube video for a comic from 1944 called "Halt" published by Duchess in the same style:

Here is a picture of Army Gags Vol. 2, # 6:

166856.jpg.8a4c33f45d27ce6cedec656f0f9bd959.jpg

Edited by ecgt

I have just acquired this rarity. :cloud9:

Picture Story Annual, Educational Projects Inc. Undated but most likely 1944-5. This may be one of the rarest of all the Canadian Whites, the comics published in Canada during the second world war. This one-shot annual, which collects three issues (without covers) of the long-running Canadian Heroes comic by Educational Projects.

This is also apparently a variant. Of the images I have seen of two of the three other copies, there is a cover price of 25 cents in the circle below "192 pages." On this copy the circle is blank. This is the only example of that variation, to my current knowledge. and the back cover is a subscription coupon for Canadian Heroes. The 25 cent version has a generic Canadian Heroes back cover. This copy is UNIQUE and I suspect it is a promotional/giveaway comic to promote the Canadian Heroes Comic. Replete with Canada Jack.

_57_zpswdc8mtlc.jpg

_57%201_zpsfycgw4ba.jpg

Compare this to the version with the 25 cent cover price (3 known copies)

IMG_3810_zpshuuhcsru.jpg

Edited by eccomic