• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,826 posts in this topic

Still concerning reprints of American books during the WECA period, I guess you have to mention the Gilberton Classics Comics in 1946 and you must also bring up the fact that certain American comics that were deemed to have some 'educational' value such as the Parents' Magazine Publishing comics (True Comics, True Aviation Picture Stories, etc.) were allowed through. Even here though, there is a collectible difference in some. The tile of the American 'True Comics' was changed to 'True Picture Magazine' in Canada and had a Canadian context story inserted in it. Take a look at the difference between the American True Comics 17 and the Canadian.

1013670.jpg

1013785.jpg

1 hour ago, sarvajnatman said:

I have this copy of Exciting 39 as well and it's always been a bit of a mystery to me. Nothing much is known about Publication Enterprises and one wonders why a government watch dog or a disgruntled Canadian publisher didn't pick up on this. The same sort of thing happened right at the "Big Bang" of Canadian comics in March, 1941 when Anglo-American put out 4 black-and-white reprints of Fox titles which are now really difficult to find. Here are a couple:

I've long wondered just how often that Canadian comic companies attempted to flout the rules. Superior was known to try to find loopholes or even blatantly disregard the law later on when the company was challenging the Fulton Bill. It's entirely possible that there are other examples of this that have not been uncovered, but given the extent of your research into the period, I suspect that if something "new" were to turn up it would be a delightful surprise.

20 minutes ago, eccomic said:

An example of ADHERING to the Fulton bill was when William Zimmerman of Superior Publishing did not use the word "CRIME" in Crime Suspenstories, hence using the word "WEIRD" instead.

I find it quite interesting that you consider the Weird SuspenStories issues to be Superior attempting to adhere to the Fulton Bill. I've always considered this to be quite the opposite. What I mean by this is that I see removing "Crime" from the title as a clever way to sell crime comics in a way that bought them more time or was even a kind of subterfuge against the government. The contents of all three issues circumvented the law, even though they changed the title.

Around the same time, Bell Features ceased its production of crime comics altogether, with series such as Crimefighers, All True Crime Comics and Lawbreakers ending in 1949 before the bill became law. Weird SuspenStories, on the other hand, came out after the bill was passed.

Regardless of whether or not one subscribes to my view on the matter or Stephen's, one thing that I think is for certain is that Bell Features and Superior dealt with the Fulton Bill in totally different ways.

14 hours ago, Tbone911t said:

You bidding? If so.......I'm out :)

22 hours ago, ecgt said:

I find it quite interesting that you consider the Weird SuspenStories issues to be Superior attempting to adhere to the Fulton Bill. I've always considered this to be quite the opposite. What I mean by this is that I see removing "Crime" from the title as a clever way to sell crime comics in a way that bought them more time or was even a kind of subterfuge against the government. The contents of all three issues circumvented the law, even though they changed the title.

Around the same time, Bell Features ceased its production of crime comics altogether, with series such as Crimefighers, All True Crime Comics and Lawbreakers ending in 1949 before the bill became law. Weird SuspenStories, on the other hand, came out after the bill was passed.

Regardless of whether or not one subscribes to my view on the matter or Stephen's, one thing that I think is for certain is that Bell Features and Superior dealt with the Fulton Bill in totally different ways.

Hey Brian I agree with you it was there way of flaunting the bill and publishing crime comics

37 minutes ago, eccomic said:

Hammered at $705.00 USD.. a strong result 

If it is one of the rarest, combined with the superhero/WW2 cover, is it really an unexpectedly strong result? I don't know much about the values of Canadian Whites, but have been tracking, and even bidding (not successfully), on some I think have cool covers. Relative scarcity, I can only judge by observations from knowledgable collectors such as yourself. What I have observed is that books with original Canadian costumed heroes on the cover usually seem to sell for at least $125 ppp in auction settings, so once you mentioned it's rarity, I thought it would go for $600 at minimum. I'm wondering what thoughts you might have on the "cool cover" effect on WECA book values, and if it is as prevalent as it has become with U.S. Golden Age. As always, thanks for sharing your collection and knowledge,  as like many south of the border collectors, I find Canadian GA an interesting "parallel world" of the hobby.

Edited by rjpb

Not the same caliber of book, but I noticed this guy is being auctioned off in Ottawa on Sunday.  I have nothing to do with the sale, but I have no interest in Archie, so I thought I'd share:

https://macleanandassociates.hibid.com/lot/32528659/1st-issue-comic-archies-pal-jughead-series-no-1/?q=jughead&ref=catalog

94417801.jpg

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

If it is one of the rarest, combined with the superhero/WW2 cover, is it really an unexpectedly strong result? I don't know much about the values of Canadian Whites, but have been tracking, and even bidding (not successfully), on some I think have cool covers. Relative scarcity, I can only judge by observations from knowledgable collectors such as yourself. What I have observed is that books with original Canadian costumed heroes on the cover usually seem to sell for at least $125 ppp in auction settings, so once you mentioned it's rarity, I thought it would go for $600 at minimum. I'm wondering what thoughts you might have on the "cool cover" effect on WECA book values, and if it is as prevalent as it has become with U.S. Golden Age. As always, thanks for sharing your collection and knowledge,  as like many south of the border collectors, I find Canadian GA an interesting "parallel world" of the hobby.

Artwork is possibly the crudest of the Canadian Whites. Rarity and price are not always commensurate. Many books are rare. The publisher Feature Publications are not as sought after as the Bell Features books. This rare oddity did command almost 4 figures in Canadian dollars. Also this book was sold on Ebay and not Comic Link, where the results have tended to be staggering in some cases. Consider venue, rarity, desirability....  :wink:

Just got the Wow 24 in from CLINK and it has an interesting stamp on back cover.

A Dime # 1 that CLINK auctioned off last year had a similar stamp on the front cover. This would suggest that some of these Whites came from a collection in Quebec. Fun fact re: provenance... :wink:

IMG_4987.JPG

Edited by eccomic