• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,826 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

That's interesting.  

If you do a page count,you'll find they are eight pages short.Also,the numbering is also off.

Sorry for the shoddy image,but here is an example.Joker story not inside,number wrong

2012julcom003.jpg

On 2017-6-4 at 6:03 PM, porcupine48 said:

I see them relatively often,but i'm in Canada and keep an eye open for them.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can chime in.

I have several Canadian DC books in my collection and they seem to come up for sale relatively often. In terms of the main superhero imports during FECA, I would suggest that the Anglo-American Captain Marvels are more common than the DC superhero books from National Comic Publications of Canada. The trouble is that Simcoe picked up the rights to the DC books a bit later on. In my opinion, the Simcoe books are rarer than the National ones. There always seems to be at least a couple of DC superhero books available for sale.

The Bell Features Timely superhero books (Blonde Phantom, Marvel Boy and Marvel Mystery Comics), as well as their Plastic Man comics, seem to be harder to track down than any of the DC reprints. That said, the Superior Timely reprints of Captain America Comics, Sub-Mariner and Human Torch are really tough to find. You might have to wait months or even a year sometimes for any of these to pop up. I once intended to work on the Blonde Phantom run and the Captain America Comics run, but they are so scarce that I've pretty much given up.

I know that fellow boardie (and I assume fellow Atlantic Canadian) Tbone911t has been trying to put together a run of Canadian Detectives for a while. I'm not sure how he has been making out. One thing that's for sure is that the bulk of my FECA superhero books are DCs and I still manage to pick them up locally from time to time. For some reason I don't have any copies of Action or Superman though.

I don't want to give anyone the impression that I have a large number of these books. I only have eight, but I've picked all of them up in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick in the past two and a half years and they are not my focus. I'll buy them if I see them, but I am not actively searching for them. Sadly, my Batman 52 is missing two centre wraps.

DSC01926.JPG

Edited by ecgt

On 2017-6-4 at 1:39 PM, gadzukes said:

How do you guys value your DC Canadians?  Are they like "Pence" comics where they are about 65%-70% of what the US version is? I just bought a bunch of DC Canadians and am trying to figure out how to value them.

Was this the collection you purchased? If so, you got a pretty decent deal on some scarce books. Just spit-balling, but I'd suggest that the comics are worth double the sale price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-GOLDEN-AGE-ACTION-ADVENTURE-SUPERMAN-COMICS-ALL-CANADIAN-EDITIONS-SCARCE-/263011502520?hash=item3d3cb509b8%3Ag%3Acn4AAOSwYlRZIyhm&nma=true&si=bXVYNp1zV9AKhudURTsKbbjzdeU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On 6/4/2017 at 4:06 PM, porcupine48 said:

If you do a page count,you'll find they are eight pages short.Also,the numbering is also off.

Sorry for the shoddy image,but here is an example.Joker story not inside,number wrong

2012julcom003.jpg

Wonder what explains that?  If you use a Batman on the cover, it seems likely that buyers will expect ... wait for it! ... Batman story! :)

On 6/3/2017 at 8:45 PM, eccomic said:

No we worship Satan here in Canada...   (:

Ah, ha!  Finally got one of you to admit it!  Explains a lot .... hm

3 hours ago, ecgt said:

Was this the collection you purchased? If so, you got a pretty decent deal on some scarce books. Just spit-balling, but I'd suggest that the comics are worth double the sale price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-GOLDEN-AGE-ACTION-ADVENTURE-SUPERMAN-COMICS-ALL-CANADIAN-EDITIONS-SCARCE-/263011502520?hash=item3d3cb509b8%3Ag%3Acn4AAOSwYlRZIyhm&nma=true&si=bXVYNp1zV9AKhudURTsKbbjzdeU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yeah, that was the one I got.  I know nothing about Canadian comics but it seemed like a great deal that I shouldn't pass up.  I was surprised no one else bid on it.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:45 PM, ecgt said:

I've been buying Canadian books like crazy lately, but this is the first and only White I've purchased this year. Got it a few weeks ago here in Halifax. Cover is detached and split, but it's complete. They're still out there.

Scan_20170523 (2).jpg

I have a coverless black and white copy of that comic.  Does the story start on the inside cover?

5 hours ago, ecgt said:

I have several Canadian DC books in my collection and they seem to come up for sale relatively often. In terms of the main superhero imports during FECA, I would suggest that the Anglo-American Captain Marvels are more common than the DC superhero books from National Comic Publications of Canada. The trouble is that Simcoe picked up the rights to the DC books a bit later on. In my opinion, the Simcoe books are rarer than the National ones. There always seems to be at least a couple of DC superhero books available for sale.

The Bell Features Timely superhero books (Blonde Phantom, Marvel Boy and Marvel Mystery Comics), as well as their Plastic Man comics, seem to be harder to track down than any of the DC reprints. That said, the Superior Timely reprints of Captain America Comics, Sub-Mariner and Human Torch are really tough to find. You might have to wait months or even a year sometimes for any of these to pop up. I once intended to work on the Blonde Phantom run and the Captain America Comics run, but they are so scarce that I've pretty much given up.

I know that fellow boardie (and I assume fellow Atlantic Canadian) Tbone911t has been trying to put together a run of Canadian Detectives for a while. I'm not sure how he has been making out. One thing that's for sure is that the bulk of my FECA superhero books are DCs and I still manage to pick them up locally from time to time. For some reason I don't have any copies of Action or Superman though.

I don't want to give anyone the impression that I have a large number of these books. I only have eight, but I've picked all of them up in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick in the past two and a half years and they are not my focus. I'll buy them if I see them, but I am not actively searching for them. Sadly, my Batman 52 is missing two centre wraps.

DSC01926.JPG

The Batman (Joker cover) and Detective (Frankenstein) US copies are difficult to find.  I think the others are easy enough.  All of them look pretty nice.

52 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

I have a coverless black and white copy of that comic.  Does the story start on the inside cover?

That tends to be the case with a lot of these. I'll have to dig it out and double-check.

So I just got this exciting comics 39. Cover and interior show 39. But cover is actually for issue 35. Page count is 16 interior pages and no ads. Is this a Canadian version. If so, is it more scarce than American version and which book would it actually be? 35 or 39. How would I determine value? On American versions, 35 is a more common value compared to issue 39. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

20170606_183309.jpg

20170606_183318.jpg

20170606_183343.jpg

14 hours ago, wolverine180 said:

So I just got this exciting comics 39. Cover and interior show 39. But cover is actually for issue 35. Page count is 16 interior pages and no ads. Is this a Canadian version. If so, is it more scarce than American version and which book would it actually be? 35 or 39. How would I determine value? On American versions, 35 is a more common value compared to issue 39. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

20170606_183343.jpg

FECA books have been on the rise lately, but they generally do not sell for as much as US versions. However, this is a very interesting find. Many Pines books were reprinted in Canada during the FECA era after 1947, but they are hard to spot because unlike other publishers the Pines reprints generally do not have CDL or "Canadian Edition" written on the cover. I have an issue of America's Best Comics # 28 and Exiting Comics # 60 and 62 in my collection, but all were printed in 1948. The 1945 printing of your Exciting # 39 predates FECA and actually places this in the late-WECA period, prior to the end of WWII.

The later Canadian Pines books were published by Better Publications of Canada, which has the same 36 Toronto Street address in the indicia as your comic does. However, your book's publisher is Publications Enterprises Limited (which is not to be confused with Publication Services Limited, which was a different Canadian publisher, also based in Toronto). This is a publisher that I have not encountered in the past, but obviously became Better Publications of Canada over time.

Prior to now, I had never seen a US reprint (the Anglo-American Fawcett books are a different case) this early in the period. That said, the GCD does have pictures of three early issues of America's Best that may also be from 1945, but it is impossible to know for sure without having access to the indicias of those books. The early date of this book really throws me for a loop, because it predates FECA. Honestly, I am surprised that this even exists. Perhaps one of the board's WECA experts, like Stephen Lipson, can provide more information.

On 2017-6-5 at 11:20 PM, BB-Gun said:

I just checked and the inside cover is an advertisement. The story starts on the first page.

Scan_20170607.jpg

7 hours ago, ecgt said:

FECA books have been on the rise lately, but they generally do not sell for as much as US versions. However, this is a very interesting find. Many Pines books were reprinted in Canada during the FECA era after 1947, but they are hard to spot because unlike other publishers the Pines reprints generally do not have CDL or "Canadian Edition" written on the cover. I have an issue of America's Best Comics # 28 and Exiting Comics # 60 and 62 in my collection, but all were printed in 1948. The 1945 printing of your Exciting # 39 predates FECA and actually places this in the late-WECA period, prior to the end of WWII.

The later Canadian Pines books were published by Better Publications of Canada, which has the same 36 Toronto Street address in the indicia as your comic does. However, your book's publisher is Publications Enterprises Limited (which is not to be confused with Publication Services Limited, which was a different Canadian publisher, also based in Toronto). This is a publisher that I have not encountered in the past, but obviously became Better Publications of Canada over time.

Prior to now, I had never seen a US reprint (the Anglo-American Fawcett books are a different case) this early in the period. That said, the GCD does have pictures of three early issues of America's Best that may also be from 1945, but it is impossible to know for sure without having access to the indicias of those books. The early date of this book really throws me for a loop, because it predates FECA. Honestly, I am surprised that this even exists. Perhaps one of the board's WECA experts, like Stephen Lipson, can provide more information.

Ecgt.    I can't thank you enough for sharing your knowledge on this matter and giving your insight on the book. I hope others with any and all information will chime in and help me get a better i understanding of what I have. This is my first exciting comic and thought the cover was amazing. Got so confused when I looked it up and didny seem to match overstreets description of issue 39. If anyone else can help it would be greatly appreciated.  Also if more info or pictures are needed. Please let me know. Thanks all

5 minutes ago, wolverine180 said:

Ecgt.    I can't thank you enough for sharing your knowledge on this matter and giving your insight on the book. I hope others with any and all information will chime in and help me get a better i understanding of what I have. This is my first exciting comic and thought the cover was amazing. Got so confused when I looked it up and didny seem to match overstreets description of issue 39. If anyone else can help it would be greatly appreciated.  Also if more info or pictures are needed. Please let me know. Thanks all

No problem. My only main question for you is whether or not the interior comic art is from Exciting Comics # 35, 39 or something else. You stated that the comic has 16 interior pages. So, 18 pages including covers.  This is what we would expect from most Canadian reprints as, counting each side of the page, you have 36 pages. Most Canadian reprints are 36 pages (rather than the 52 that were standard in the USA at the time). As such, your comic might have completely different contents from Exciting 35 or 39. It's more likely, though, that it has the same contents as one of the aforementioned issues, but is missing a story or two. Here's a link to the GCD for the American prints of Exciting Comics. Luckily, all of the issues have been indexed, so it shouldn't be too difficult to check. I'm curious to know what you find out. 

https://www.comics.org/series/167/

Cheers, brian

34 minutes ago, ecgt said:

No problem. My only main question for you is whether or not the interior comic art is from Exciting Comics # 35, 39 or something else. You stated that the comic has 16 interior pages. So, 18 pages including covers.  This is what we would expect from most Canadian reprints as, counting each side of the page, you have 36 pages. Most Canadian reprints are 36 pages (rather than the 52 that were standard in the USA at the time). As such, your comic might have completely different contents from Exciting 35 or 39. It's more likely, though, that it has the same contents as one of the aforementioned issues, but is missing a story or two. Here's a link to the GCD for the American prints of Exciting Comics. Luckily, all of the issues have been indexed, so it shouldn't be too difficult to check. I'm curious to know what you find out. 

https://www.comics.org/series/167/

Cheers, brian

Thanks again Brian. 

The book I have has the interiors of issue 35. It has 6 of the 9 stories.  Black terror, American eagle, haunted house, sergeant bill king, good cowboy and Larry north. All text match and page count compared to story.  Such helpful information.  Thanks again

On 6/5/2017 at 6:17 PM, ecgt said:

DSC01926.JPG

Hey Brian, 

Those Tecs for sale?

:)

Mike

46 minutes ago, wolverine180 said:

Thanks again Brian. 

The book I have has the interiors of issue 35. It has 6 of the 9 stories.  Black terror, American eagle, haunted house, sergeant bill king, good cowboy and Larry north. All text match and page count compared to story.  Such helpful information.  Thanks again

Glad to help. Cool to learn about such an early FECA style book! Thanks for sharing.