• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Byrne at NYCC 2017?
2 2

63 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mecrabs said:
8 hours ago, VintageComics said:
10 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Hey @VintageComics  I know the basics about PGX's reputation over the years, but am I correct to think that it's a little nuts to be allowed to witness your own books? 

Well, not if you're an authorized witness for a company that has a good reputation.

Doc, you're right, it is nuts. No slab companies should allow AWs to witness their own books.  Perfect example is the guy on cbcs trying to submit the Byrne books. That AW should be arrested for fraud if the books get SS slabbed.

I may have misunderstood.

I agree, NO witness should be witnessing their own books. 

I'm willing to bet that his JB books will end up with a verified red label as opposed to yellow. I suppose if they honor JB's wishes they wouldn't allow either, but I don't know if JB has had anyone contact the other guys to say he doesn't want his stuff slabbed or if they would even honor that request if made.

On 10/21/2017 at 1:00 AM, Logan510 said:

I'm willing to bet that his JB books will end up with a verified red label as opposed to yellow. I suppose if they honor JB's wishes they wouldn't allow either, but I don't know if JB has had anyone contact the other guys to say he doesn't want his stuff slabbed or if they would even honor that request if made.

IDW made it 100% clear at the show that Byrne would not sign books going to any 3rd party grading company - I'm hoping that Voldemort will honor this, but based on how they run their SS program I'm not so sure.

8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I have t heard about this. Looks like he doesn't attend many shows also? Did a quick Google and didn't get anything except his website / forum.

Yeah its pretty rare for him. He used to do an Ohio convention ever year for a friend, but I think he stopped doing that as well a few years ago.

On 11/25/2017 at 10:19 AM, mschmidt said:

IDW made it 100% clear at the show that Byrne would not sign books going to any 3rd party grading company - I'm hoping that Voldemort will honor this, but based on how they run their SS program I'm not so sure.

Interesting concept... I agree with you that a witness, "witnessing" his own signature is kind of shady upon itself.  Sneaking a witness onto the line to witness it for CGC's or Voldemort's witness program is definitely wrong on a few levels.

However, if Voldemort (or anyone for that matter) assess John Byrne's signature as 'authenticated' in that the signature on the book is consistent with other documented signatures from John Byrne yadda yadda yadda... is that really an ethical violate of John Byrne's wishes or is it a case of the buyer can do what he wants with his purchase? 

On 11/25/2017 at 2:24 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Wasnt it Don Rickles who used to pay for everything in checks because he knew most wouldnt be cashed? 

The only reason I looked this up was because I know a lot of Rickles stories and had never heard this one before.  Seems that according to James Garner, Gary Cooper did this. 

Here is the page from James Garner's book... 

https://books.google.com/books?id=W6jiYnyLRgoC&pg=PA182&lpg=PA182&dq=gary+cooper+wrote+checks+for&source=bl&ots=FtSsG6IRJF&sig=0WlhkWQFCZoHnMYdnXw-edbu_to&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_mOypt93XAhXM1IMKHaHpAVoQ6AEIUDAH#v=onepage&q=gary cooper wrote checks for&f=false

Pablo Picasso did the same.

22 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Interesting concept... I agree with you that a witness, "witnessing" his own signature is kind of shady upon itself.  Sneaking a witness onto the line to witness it for CGC's or Voldemort's witness program is definitely wrong on a few levels.

However, if Voldemort (or anyone for that matter) assess John Byrne's signature as 'authenticated' in that the signature on the book is consistent with other documented signatures from John Byrne yadda yadda yadda... is that really an ethical violate of John Byrne's wishes or is it a case of the buyer can do what he wants with his purchase? 

Well put. I think most would say if you have to ask, it's better to take the safe route. If I was there though I'd be tempted as I love IF 14 and Hellboy, I think he was tired of signing those specifically, so while I would cherish those sigs personally..as an artist/creator etc.... "if" I ever sold, it would result in persecution ???

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

The only reason I looked this up was because I know a lot of Rickles stories and had never heard this one before.  Seems that according to James Garner, Gary Cooper did this. 

Here is the page from James Garner's book... 

https://books.google.com/books?id=W6jiYnyLRgoC&pg=PA182&lpg=PA182&dq=gary+cooper+wrote+checks+for&source=bl&ots=FtSsG6IRJF&sig=0WlhkWQFCZoHnMYdnXw-edbu_to&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_mOypt93XAhXM1IMKHaHpAVoQ6AEIUDAH#v=onepage&q=gary cooper wrote checks for&f=false

Pablo Picasso did the same.

Sounds funnier if Rickles did it lol

Thanks for this ??

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I get what you're saying - and I think I made it pretty clear in a different thread that it pisses me off to no end that a creator feels they have the right to decide what I do with my books after they've been signed - but, ultimately, if a creator categorically states that any books they sign during a specific event cannot be slabbed, it's shady as hell for a 3rd party grading company to ignore this. It may benefit the company itself in the short run, but it hurts the hobby as a whole over the long term.

1 hour ago, mschmidt said:

I get what you're saying - and I think I made it pretty clear in a different thread that it pisses me off to no end that a creator feels they have the right to decide what I do with my books after they've been signed - but, ultimately, if a creator categorically states that any books they sign during a specific event cannot be slabbed, it's shady as hell for a 3rd party grading company to ignore this. It may benefit the company itself in the short run, but it hurts the hobby as a whole over the long term.

Yeah, because I was going to say... after time it is none of his business what I do with my "stuff".  Take Derek Jeter for example.  Jeter did NOT sign stuff if he thought it was going up on eBay.  There are videos of him refusing to sign for kids on the street.  20-22 years ago... it wasn't like that. 

I had this ball signed by Jeter.  Now... here I am 20 years later.  I have thought about bringing it to a Steiner event just to get the authentication events just so I can have a third party say it is real... (I know it is real and it isn't going anywhere so I don't see the need to spend the money.)  However, if an artist said he didn't want his signature in a slab.  I have to say... sorry John, but if I had him sign a book and then a year later wanted it authenticated, I don't think I would have any ethical problem with that, especially if I paid money for the signature. 

Now like I said, I completely agree that some of the artists have a rule where the signature is conditional upon an understood agreement not to have a witness there to have it signed.  However, I agree with you that what I do with my stuff after the fact is up to me. 

These artists are really biting themselves in the foot.  Take Skottie Young for example.  At NYCC I would have paid a fee to have a sketch done so long as it would eventually be kept in a yellow label.  He wanted to charge $500(?) if it was going to CGC and about half of that if it wasn't.  Know what?  I gave someone else my money.  Young loses out.  I am sure he made some money, but he lost out on my money.  There are a lot of artists that are doing that, and just as they are principled with their decision making in regards to signatures and sketches, I am principled with my wallet.   Guys like Neal Adams?  I have an Adams signature on a midgrade Batman 227.  Now after seeing what he charges at shows, I don't even stop at his table to see what he is doing.   Neither do my friends.   What a shame... things like this are actually turning away fans.  Whereas a few years ago Jeremy Haun did an incredible sketch for me that I still have on a Batman blank.  To this day he is one of the first guy I see at the shows and this year I wound up buying a couple of his indie books just to check his stuff out so he knows his stuff is appreciated. 

I am rambling now... I will take a break.

(Pic related -  I had posted this on FB when the Yankees retired Jeter's number)

18403447_10154584676287963_6076439709193411298_n.jpg