• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting GA collection on the Bay.
2 2

29 posts in this topic

Came across this auction and while it looks like a really neat find looking at the current 40k bid and still yet to meet reserve was wondering what a decent FMV on this lot would be.  Seller is obviously not a numerical grader but some do seem to be decent copies from the limited pictures they posted.  I personally couldn't/wouldn't be a player on this but some folks are taking a big leap of faith on this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Large-Collection-of-Golden-Age-Comics-Batman-Superman-Action-Detective-Plus-/302486250388?hash=item466d95e394:g:-B0AAOSwrWZZ4Cwd

20 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

I did request however seller does not want to disclose the reserve.  Couched it under the context of not being fair to others....

Thanks.  I assume it is pretty close to or at the BIN he had listed.  I do understand not wanting to disclose a reserve.  I personally never even bother with reserve auctions but that is just me.  Unless it explodes in the last few hours, I doubt it will get to whatever is set.  

I am not  DC collector so I have no idea what the value and since he doesn't assign a grade, you would think those bidding may have asked to look at the collection.  Assume they are local or nearby as it is local pick-up only but I guess someone may drive in or fly in to have them shipped themselves.  I still just cannot imagine bidding at that level without prior inspection from an unknown seller with this being their only comic listing in the current for sale items.  Still be interesting to see where it ends up.

4 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Gorgeous collection.  Have any of you boardies actually gone thru the list to determine an approximate value?  

I haven't.  Think there's around 200 or so books and with the current bid averages to 225 a book.  So hard to estimate value imo without seeing in person unless you assign an average grade to all and look up one by one.  The lister is fairly general with grades i.e. "Nice" could be a 3 or an 8.  Wouldn't be surprised at it finishing 60-70k or so though.

Will be fun to watch where this lands for sure!

It's over 250 books, but many of them appear to be in fairly low grade, probably averaging no better than good. Right now it's at about 180 a book, which is more than half of them would sell for individually in that shape. There is a Tec 122 in the lot, but no other keys pop out from the listing.  Without a better idea of what someone is buying, I'm surprised it's even gone as high as it has.

Looks like a lot of time and effort went into processing them, but unless there are some VERY nice copies mixed in that I'm not seeing.... I'd think 300 fmv for the better ones and as low as 50 for some of the worse ones...... with a few ringers sprinkled in...... most are from the tough late 40's/early 50's era, but the market has become so key-centric that this group may be a several year sell through project  if piecing out. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I'd like one............. never owned a 47....................but @ 250K, that's a grand per book............ he'll go to his grave waiting for that price, unless someone really naïve shows up. He would need quite a few more Capital "n"'s to be worth that....GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu