• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canada's 1st comic store - Batman #1 - $200

18 posts in this topic

Pretty neat video.

From the CBC archives :

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/canadas-first-comic-book-store

The Story

George Henderson lived, ate and breathed comics - years before it would be popular to do so. A lifelong fan of superhero comics, old adventure strips and science fiction, in the 1960s he parlayed a dead-end writing career into a successful life as a bookseller and retailer. Established in downtown Toronto in 1967, Memory Lane Books became a mecca for generations of comic fans and is considered Canada's first comic book store. In this clip from 1970, Captain George discusses his then young store and the emergent hobby of comic collecting. 

I have a couple of sets of Captain George's Whizbang.  Neat tabloid fanzine and part of the legacy.  The first GA book I bought was from a store called Down Memory Lane in the 70s - I know not the same name as George's as his was Memory Lane and my store was in Oklahoma City. :smile:

So Canada is good for something:

1. Superman/Action Comics creators

2. George Olshevsky's Timely collection

3. John Byrne from a University in Alberta

4. Todd McFarlane originally from Vancouver Island, BC

5. Dave Sim and Cerebus the Aardvark run

6. Robert Crestohl's mail order comics

7. then the infamous greggy (thumbsu

I'm in Toronto and Memory Lane was the first comic store I ever entered.  My parents were scared to let me go in. Bought my first back issues there. I know a lot about George's history, not all of it good. His store is slated for demolition now on a street that has great row houses. As an adult I'm be in the second floor of a favourite restaurant across the road, and look out the window at the store, now a dress shop.