• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading at CC

22 posts in this topic

Ha. Well for their own stock then can tend to over grade and have a nasty habit of not disclosing restoration like trimming, etc. (It increases their profit margin tremendously) And unless you react quickly and within the fine print timeline of their return policy, Vinnie, will give you flimsy excuses as to why you are out of luck, blame his staff, etc. However, if you are lucky he will offer to buy you dinner next time you are in town so you don't have much to worry about.:eyeroll:

24 minutes ago, Silver Surfer said:

Ha. Well for their own stock then can tend to over grade and have a nasty habit of not disclosing restoration like trimming, etc. (It increases their profit margin tremendously) And unless you react quickly and within the fine print timeline of their return policy, Vinnie, will give you flimsy excuses as to why you are out of luck, blame his staff, etc. However, if you are lucky he will offer to buy you dinner next time you are in town so you don't have much to worry about.:eyeroll:

Ok. Good to know. Thank you for taking the time to respond. 

My experience is that their raw books are overgraded.  I don't think I've ever had a raw come back with a higher grade than they've assigned it.  I've had many come back with a lower grade and a few come back at the assigned grade.  I take this into account when I bid in their auctions or buy off their site.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, Sqeggs said:

My experience is that their raw books are overgraded.  I don't think I've ever had a raw come back with a higher grade than they've assigned it.  I've had many come back with a lower grade and a few come back at the assigned grade.  I take this into account when I bid in their auctions or buy off their site.

My experience is the same.

I recently spent close to $200 on an advertised 9.0 from them for a circa 1967 book and I'm pretty happy with the condition. It's my first buy from them, but I certainly don't feel it was negligently or generously graded at all. I waffled between their book and another reputable dealer's (based on board recommendations) in the same grade -- after comparing scans, I went with the CC copy as it had minimal spine stress (a particular pet peeve of mine) compared with the other seller's and, again, having it in hand now I'm pretty pleased to have added this book to my collection (thumbsu

14 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

My experience is the same.

Ditto MC/CC; they graded a raw Golden Age Batman 8.0, I graded it 7.5, and CGC graded it 7.5. I slightly overpaid for it but, for now at least, it is worth quite a bit more than I paid.

Just now, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Ditto MC/CC; they graded a raw Golden Age Batman 8.0, I graded it 7.5, and CGC graded it 7.5. I slightly overpaid for it but, for now at least, it is worth quite a bit more than I paid.

I purchased a book that they graded a 6.5, CGC graded it 4.5. That is a pretty big difference.

I have also purchased a book from CC that they graded as a 3.0, but the cover is completely split and detached: should have been a 1.5 tops.

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I purchased a book that they graded a 6.5, CGC graded it 4.5. That is a pretty big difference.

I have also purchased a book from CC that they graded as a 3.0, but the cover is completely split and detached: should have been a 1.5 tops.

All I can say/write is wow. Thankfully, none of the books that I have purchased from them have been graded that poorly.

People's experiences seem to vary here.....
I've purchased a couple of raw books from them over the years and the grades seemed close enough.

The quote below is from the ComicLink site on selling. It appears from what is said below that consignors for both fixed price listings and auctions can retain possession of the books until they sell. A huge mistake I would think on auctions. What if the seller no longer has the book and it sells at auction? ....Anyway, if sellers can retain possession of books until they sell, ComicConnect cannot have graded those books. 

The ComicConnect Choice
When you choose to sell on ComicConnect, you have complete control over how you sell your comics, and at what price to sell them.  Our easy-to-use online tools enable you to upload items to sell at auction, or to sell them at the fixed price you specify.  You can also evaluate bids from buyers, choosing whether or not to accept, or counter-offer if you prefer.  Membership is free, and ComicConnect collects only a small commission on completed transactions.  ComicConnect is non-exclusive, which means items you list at a fixed price may be withdrawn without penalty.  At your option, you may also retain possession of your comic books until they sell. 

bought a raw Marvel Mystery Comics #6 from them they graded a G/VG: 3.0 with Brittle pages and came back from CGC a blue 3.0 with Brittle Pages.  I was happy with that outcome as the price was very reasonable and the book is tough.  Bought a raw Blue Beetle #3 they placed at G/VG: 3.0 that came back a blue CGC 3.0 with Light Tan to OW pages.  Great price on that book too.  With either of those books I bought knowing that it could come in lower and I'll still want a copy.  Would do it again.  With raw books on the Bay, good luck.

Edited by atomised

On 10/30/2017 at 9:45 PM, atomised said:

bought a raw Marvel Mystery Comics #6 from them they graded a G/VG: 3.0 with Brittle pages and came back from CGC a blue 3.0 with Brittle Pages.  I was happy with that outcome as the price was very reasonable and the book is tough.  Bought a raw Blue Beetle #3 they placed at G/VG: 3.0 that came back a blue CGC 3.0 with Light Tan to OW pages.  Great price on that book too.  With either of those books I bought knowing that it could come in lower and I'll still want a copy.  Would do it again.  With raw books on the Bay, good luck.

Well I purchased a raw MMC#9 that was noted as "unrestored", but looking back it was clearly trimmed on all sides. I didn't have another similar MMC book from that era on hand to compare but they would have know for sure that it was trimmed as it was considerably smaller than it should have been. The price was not reasonable given what I consider to be an intentional lack of disclosure and manipulation of the description. I was not happy and I wouldn't do it again. That book alone was a $7,500 purchase. They do this kind of shenanigans from time to time so best of luck to you in future purchases.  ???

Felt this was an appropriate thread to bring this up. I bought the Church Mystery Men 11 in the Berk auction, only to find out the spine splits were almost twice as long in-hand as advertised. It's back up on the block, without a revised description. They took a return without a problem, and maybe this is just an oversight, but prospective bidders should know that the write-up is not accurate. 

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookSearch.php?title=mystery+men&issue=11

2 hours ago, october said:

Felt this was an appropriate thread to bring this up. I bought the Church Mystery Men 11 in the Berk auction, only to find out the spine splits were almost twice as long in-hand as advertised. It's back up on the block, without a revised description. They took a return without a problem, and maybe this is just an oversight, but prospective bidders should know that the write-up is not accurate. 

Well, that's certainly disappointing, to say the least. 

My experience with MC/CC is the exact same in regards to raw purchases.  Most recent is a raw Rangers advertised as VF/NM, CGC said 7.5.  Same scenario as you Andy, with the spine splits being much bigger than advertised.  This was a pedigree copy, so I didn't return it.  If it wasn't a fairly significant book (at least to me), I would have sent it back, or tried to.

On 11/29/2017 at 1:20 PM, october said:

No wonder they didn't have this one slabbed.