• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things We All Thought We Knew, But We're Wrong
1 1

48 posts in this topic

Do you guys remember back when we all thought nice page quality was better than not so nice ?..ole Jaydawg sure straightened us all out. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu 

Edited by jimjum12

6 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

News to me too...

fc379.jpg

fc386.jpg

On 11/1/2017 at 6:17 PM, sfcityduck said:

That is cool.  More in the vein of "Things We Didn't Know That Are Really Cool," but that's ok.

I'm a little surprised no one else appears surprised that Uncle Scrooge's first cover was FC 379.  Blew me away.  

I only have a modest collection of Disney books but seeing the two covers Bedrock posted together I can easily see why the interest is weighted towards the Barks cover. In this age of classic covers the Barks cover fits the bill and the other though not by any means terrible is super uninteresting. Very basic regardless of its noteworthy ness.

There was always a damn good reason fans recognized Barks work as the “good duck artist” even before they knew his name and the above comparison shows why.

Interesting footnote for fans though. 

Edited by N e r V

On 11/2/2017 at 8:21 PM, MrBedrock said:

Roger Hill interviewed Rudy Palais, who was the editor of Great 3, and he was the one who stated the cover was Crandall. Crandall also was supposed to do the interior story but time constraints prevented him from doing the work.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks. 

On November 1, 2017 at 9:19 AM, sfcityduck said:

This thread is devoted to identifying GA comic "facts" we all think we know, but we're wrong. 

My example:  The first cover appearance of Uncle Scrooge is not Four Color 386 "Only a Poor Old Man"!  It's understandable if you think it is, because both Heritage and Hake's claim it is in their auction listing.  For example:

"A Key Disney comic as the feature story Only A Poor Old Man is the first Uncle Scrooge solo story, this is the first Scrooge cover appearance and the book counts as Uncle Scrooge #1."

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/53220/FOUR-COLOR-386-FIRST-UNCLE-SCROOGE-FEBRUARY-1952-CGC-50-OFF-WHITE-TO-WHITE-PAGES

"Only a Poor Old Man is the first Uncle Scrooge solo story, Scrooge's first cover appearance, and the book that counts as Uncle Scrooge #1"

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/four-color-386-uncle-scrooge-dell-1952-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/825-44210.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

But, the actual first cover appearance of Uncle Scrooge is Four Color 379 "Southern Hospitality"! 

15699558%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Got to love that depiction of Scrooge as the evil landowner forcing Donald to pick his cotton. 

Why the mix up?  Because Duck collectors are fixated on Barks.  FC 386 is the first Barks Uncle Scrooge cover appearance.  FC 379 is by the other Carl B. - Carl Buettner.

At least two collectors know FC 379 is notable as the first Uncle Scrooge cover appearance, because when a CGC 9.2 came up for auction at Heritage in August, the bidding blew through Overstreet's $325 valuation for a 9.2 and hit an astounding $3,824.00. 

Here's the actual chronology as far as I can tell:

FC 379 - 1st Uncle Scrooge cover appearance; 1st Uncle Scrooge cover on Donald Duck title.

FC 386 - 2nd Uncle Scrooge cover appearance, 1st Barks Uncle Scrooge cover; 1st Uncle Scrooge comic.

WDC&S 140 - 3rd Uncle Scrooge cover appearance; 2nd Barks Uncle Scrooge cover; 1st Uncle Scrooge cover on WDC&S title.

FC 450 - 4th Uncle Scrooge cover appearance; 3rd Barks Uncle Scrooge cover; 1st Uncle Scrooge cover on Walt Disney's Duck Album.

FC 456 - 5th Uncle Scrooge cover appearance; 4th Barks Uncle Scrooge cover; 2nd Uncle Scrooge comic.

Even as a kid that FC 379 did nothing for me; it's just uninspired! Dumping big money on that book for the first appearance just seems foolish. FC 386 is where it's at and always will be!

39 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Even as a kid that FC 379 did nothing for me; it's just uninspired! Dumping big money on that book for the first appearance just seems foolish. FC 386 is where it's at and always will be!

I agree.  Love Love Barks. Love Don Rosa and Van Horn but other duck books just don't catch my interest.zzz

Probably a discussion for the duck thread, but I've often wondered why nobody talks about 'Southern Hospitality' much. I found it in an Australian reprint years ago and was surprised when I looked it up to see how early it was. That said, it's a lousy story, and the Scrooge in there is totally out of character (in action as well as dialect) from the Barks Scrooge - which probably answers my own question.

On 11/4/2017 at 9:03 PM, AJD said:

Probably a discussion for the duck thread, but I've often wondered why nobody talks about 'Southern Hospitality' much. I found it in an Australian reprint years ago and was surprised when I looked it up to see how early it was. That said, it's a lousy story, and the Scrooge in there is totally out of character (in action as well as dialect) from the Barks Scrooge - which probably answers my own question.

I'm pretty sure I've never read it ... and now I think maybe I shouldn't bother. :)

3 minutes ago, tth2 said:
8 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

FC 386 is also not the first Scrooge solo story or even the first story without Donald Duck.

That's it, Bedrock should burn his 9.4 copy.

:popcorn:

On 1/25/2020 at 10:38 PM, sfcityduck said:

Can't believe someone revived this thread.  Now I've got to correct myself.  The first comic book with Scrooge on the cover was Vacation Parade 2 (he's a partial figure in the crowd).  

The chronology is this:

* Vacation Parade 2 (July 1951) - 1st Cover Appearance (cameo crowd shot) 

* FC 353 (Oct. 1951) - 2nd Cover Appearance (a literal cameo), 1st by Barks

* FC 379 (March-April 1952) - 3rd Cover Appearance, 1st time featured on Cover

* FC 386 (March 1952) - 4th Cover Appearance; 2nd by Barks, 2nd featured

* WDC&S 140 (May 1952) - 5th Cover Appearance, 3rd by Barks, 3rd featured, 1st on title,1st by Barks on WDC&S

Which just goes to illustrate that you should be skeptical of what the auction houses say. For example, Heritage states:

"Only a Poor Old Man is the first Uncle Scrooge solo story, Scrooge's first cover appearance, and the book that counts as Uncle Scrooge #1"

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/four-color-386-uncle-scrooge-dell-1952-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/825-44210.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

The first two representations are both wrong.

FC 386 is also not the first Scrooge solo story or even the first story without Donald Duck.

Seems strange to list all these books for Uncle Scrooge and leave Four Color #178 off the list just because he isn't on the cover. 1947 is signifcantly earlier than all these 1950s books.