• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a million to invest - where should I start?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

probably depends on your goals and preferences.

If you just want to get the money, buy up all the AF15 you can find for the next year. And just sit on them, auctioning 1 per year until you die. Start with the lowest graded ones first.

I love comic collecting, but if I had a million dollars to spend it wouldn't be on comics.

but if you absolutely wanted to, I'd buy up only a handful of mega GA or SA keys in high grade.

Value should continue to go up and if you ever wanted to cash out, you could liquidate 5-10 books quite easily

4 hours ago, grebal said:

Who is that, I've never even heard of him?

From Wiki

Omega the Unknown is a humanoid being of superhuman power bio-engineered by an extraterrestrial mechanoid race named the Protar, from the planet Protaris in the Regreb System in the Milky Way Galaxy. The Protar, foreseeing its own extinction, decided to create an ideal race of true humanoids as their legacy to the cosmos. Their penultimate model, later called Omega, was placed on the planet Srenesk (an anagram of series co-writer [Mary] "Skrenes") to learn. He commandeered a Protar starship and fled to Earth after inadvertently destroying the world on which he was placed. The Earth was the home of the final "model" in his series, the artificially created boy James-Michael Starling, whom Omega sought to protect from the Protar.[11]

While on Earth, Omega was employed for odd jobs by a New York City pawn-broker, and had a number of battles with local beings. He battled the Hulk,[10]Electro,[12]Blockbuster,[13] and Nitro.[14] While later embroiled in a rematch with Blockbuster, the second Foolkiller saved Omega's life by murdering Blockbuster.[15]

Omega was finally shot dead in Las Vegas by the Las Vegas Police while battling Ruby Thursday; the police thought Omega was assaulting Ruby.[16] James-Michael Starling, who had inherited Omega's power, learned the true origin of himself and Omega but refused to accept the truth. He threatened to use the power of Earth's biosphere against the Defenders. Seeing the error of his decision, he ended his own life when he turned the power inward and self-destructed.[5]

In 2010, Comics Bulletin ranked Gerber and Mooney's run on Omega the Unknown tenth on its list of the "Top 10 1970s Marvels".[17]

Comic Book Resources placed Omega the Unknown as one of "15 Superheroes Marvel Wants You To Forget", stating "his complicated history makes it exceedingly unlikely that he'll return to the Marvel universe."[18]

Closest thing to a serious answer I would give is diversify.  Go after a lot of first appearances of superheroes that likely will be next up to star in a movie/tv show.  Grab keys from the GA/SA eras that have done nothing but climb.  Buy a couple of collections just so you have something to play with :) You will have a lot of things that lose some value but those should be offset by a few that gain.