• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Congrats Astros Thread? Sir Bedrock must still be celebrating!

26 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

I still call them the Colt .45s and remember hard throwing Turk Farrell.

59fb5908e3788_MrBedrockcolts-1963-sixshooter-card-3-front.jpg.5dafcf3acb407f3f563fa3251f67b26e.jpg

Apparently he didn't provide much help in their conquering their rivals because they were only 66-96 in 1963.  The only rival they conquered was the lowly Mets.

Didn't they change their name to Astros after the Colt company raised objections to their using the Colt name?

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Apparently he didn't provide much help in their conquering their rivals because they were only 66-96 in 1963.  The only rival they conquered was the lowly Mets.

Didn't they change their name to Astros after the Colt company raised objections to their using the Colt name?

From the article below, " The firearm company of the same name wanted to share revenues with the team for using the name.  Team President Roy Hofheinz wanted no part of revenue sharing so he hired an unnamed artist to begin concepts of a new name and identity for the 1965 season when the Domed Stadium was scheduled to open. "

https://astrostalk.wordpress.com/2012/12/12/whats-in-the-astros-name/

3 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

From the article below, " The firearm company of the same name wanted to share revenues with the team for using the name.  Team President Roy Hofheinz wanted no part of revenue sharing so he hired an unnamed artist to begin concepts of a new name and identity for the 1965 season when the Domed Stadium was scheduled to open. "

https://astrostalk.wordpress.com/2012/12/12/whats-in-the-astros-name/

Always seemed odd to me that they wouldn't have worked something out with the Colt company before using the name for the team.

The Astrodome -- the 8th Wonder of the World (or The Great Pimple on the Plains -- depending on your point of view. :))

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:
9 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

When the Dodgers lose, we all win!

How did the Giants do this year???

Spent the year admiring their three WS championship pennants from the past seven years!   Of course, the Dodgers also have three recent championships, if by "recent" you mean 50 years! 

Old baseball rivalries never die! :)

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I can't begin to describe how cool this Championship is and what it means.

They built a great team in a short time.  It looks like they should be contenders for years to come. 

Interesting discussion on ESPN about how Yu Darvish was tipping his pitches.  If ESPN commentators could see it and the Astros could see it, makes you wonder how the Dodgers couldn't.  Or maybe they realized he was tipping his pitches but there was no easy fix that wouldn't have screwed him up.  In which case, though, why not start Kershaw?

Hindsight is great! :)

21 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I can't begin to describe how cool this Championship is and what it means.

true grit

my wife played the Aggie Fight Song at the first batter up

texans show the world how to act whilst getting their azzes handed to them and then how to get up off the floor