• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what would you do if you found the mile high collection 10 years ago?

202 posts in this topic

any guesses as to how much they got for the house? they should have thrown the house away...

Here's how much the house was going for last year. 832165-House002.jpg

Stalker poke2.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif
If you think you are so good, why don't you find us proof of these alledged lawsuits and IRS actions? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

that photo of chuck with teh bats 1 and supes 1 is incredible

u can see how amazing the condition of those books are.....................and 22000 of them GOOD LORD!

Chuck says in the article that it was 18,000.

What I like about the photos is that when you look at the side edges of the books in stacks, you can see how WHITE all of the pages are. cloud9.gif

To answer the original question, I'd dance and laugh like a maniac and fall over and get up and dance some more and laugh some more until I passed out and then when I woke up i'd laugh and roll on the floor and chant YES! a thousand times and .......

Joker--

P.S. I haven't gotten an e-mail update from Chuck in a few days... I hope he's O.K?

I hope he has a sale soon--

From the Church article:

Once I had gotten a pretty good gauge of what was on the floor (about 60 stacks), I asked how much was being sought for the collection. It was at that point that it was made clear to me that it was not a question of how much I was willing to pay, but rather if I was willing to take them "all." I told the sellers that I was more than willing to take all the books, but that we would have to either make payment arrangements, or that I could sell the comics for them on consignment. Both of these proposals were immediately rejected out of hand, even after I had shown the sellers collector prices for old comics in an Overstreet that I had brought along. They were emphatic that they wanted nothing to do with the sales process, and that they wanted immediate payment. I explained to them that I had limited resources available to me for an immediate purchase, and they said "just make us an offer..."

You know I read this same paragraph you cite as some kind of proof, and I just scratch my head. Wait a minute I say, Chuck says he SHOWED them how much they were worth in the Overstreet Guide, and they said NO???? He proved to them that just a few dozen of the best books were worth twice the price he says they wanted for ALL 18000 book???

and you actually take his word on this??

You cite his Word like an evangelist quotes the Good Book!!! Your trained legal mind doesnt suspect something doesnt add up here?? Sure sounds like these poor hillbilly folk hated their dad and just wanted some quick beer money... who wrote this [#@$%!!!] anyway??

Oh yeah. Thats right, Chuck did. Uh huh.

From the Church article:

Once I had gotten a pretty good gauge of what was on the floor (about 60 stacks), I asked how much was being sought for the collection. It was at that point that it was made clear to me that it was not a question of how much I was willing to pay, but rather if I was willing to take them "all." I told the sellers that I was more than willing to take all the books, but that we would have to either make payment arrangements, or that I could sell the comics for them on consignment. Both of these proposals were immediately rejected out of hand, even after I had shown the sellers collector prices for old comics in an Overstreet that I had brought along. They were emphatic that they wanted nothing to do with the sales process, and that they wanted immediate payment. I explained to them that I had limited resources available to me for an immediate purchase, and they said "just make us an offer..."

You know I read this same paragraph you cite as some kind of proof, and I just scratch my head. Wait a minute I say, Chuck says he SHOWED them how much they were worth in the Overstreet Guide, and they said NO???? He proved to them that just a few dozen of the best books were worth twice the price he says they wanted for ALL 18000 book???

and you actually take his word on this??

You cite his Word like an evangelist quotes the Good Book!!! Your trained legal mind doesnt suspect something doesnt add up here?? Sure sounds like these poor hillbilly folk hated their dad and just wanted some quick beer money... who wrote this [#@$%!!!] anyway??

Oh yeah. Thats right, Chuck did. Uh huh.

Aman, if you have proof to the contrary, bring it.

Chuck said he showed them OS prices on the 1950s books that were sitting on the floor (before he knew about what was in the closet) and offered to sell the books on consignment. After they refused, he found out about the closet and didn't "bid against himself." Sounds reasonable to me. I'd have done the same thing, except that I wouldn't have brought the Overstreet guide with me in the first place.

If you are suggesting you would have done otherwise in his shoes, then whatever you think about my "trained legal mind," you are either a damned fool or a liar.

You have no proof to counter what Chuck says happened, but because you feel as though Chuck slighted you in some manner ten years ago, you hate the guy now. Message received loud and clear. But you still have nothing more than your anger and cynicism to back up your view of what "must have happened."

Learn to live with the fact that Chuck didn't want to talk about the Church collection to a total stranger when you "gushingly" asked him about it ten years ago. It was probably a pretty sore spot with him by then. Lots of people have issues that they don't want to talk about when people have badmouthed them about it over the years. You happened to ask Chuck about one of his and he didn't feel like sharing. GET OVER IT. makepoint.gif

... but i am curious why do you dislike chuck so much out of all the post you seem to be the most botherd by what chuck did ? have u had a bad experince wit hchuck personally? do u know the church family in some way or what?

I dont "hate" Chuck. But I can understand your thinking that, or at least asking. Try and go back and read some of the other long threads where we address these same questions. There have been many more similar opinions expressed by scores of other collectors here on the boards.

For me, Im not impressed with the Chuck or his whole cockamanie Cult of Chuck public persona he paints so aggressively. I respect his joie de vivre, his gusto in his pursuits both business and hobbies. He seems to be tireless! But Im not a big fan of someone who feels compelled to brag, shout, announce, and sing his own praises constanty. He was truly scary when I met him and wanted to talk about his great find. I imagined he was proud of this, his greatest feat, his claim to fame, the genesis of his career as comics retailer. But no, he shot me a chilling look of pain, frustration and anger. Like, go away kid you bother me! He wanted no part of another discussion about that damned collection he bought. I thought what a strange reaction from this strange pony-tailed little man.

My only other encounters with him are similar to many collectors here: I bough a bunch of NM comics off the website that arrived as anything from VG with tape, to folded covers. I sent them back and they agreed with moe than half of the 40+ books returned... but then I was "fired" from ever buying from MHC because I was a crazy "mint freak" in a personal letter from the great retailer. Many others had similar experiences with them. So I dont have much respect or what have you for hi sgreat comics empire building skill either.

His daughters are hot though!

kidding....

How much of a fanboy would you have to be to buy the house just because Edgar and his comics were once there? 27_laughing.gif

832165-House002.jpg

Hmmmm.... maybe tear down a wall or two, find all those Golden Age funny animal comics that never turned up?

Ten bucks says that if Mark Zaid had seen that listing, he'd be the owner of that house right now. 27_laughing.gif

hi.gif Mark yay.gif

How much of a fanboy would you have to be to buy the house just because Edgar and his comics were once there? 27_laughing.gif

Ten bucks says that if Mark Zaid had seen that listing, he'd be the owner of that house right now. 27_laughing.gif

hi.gif Mark yay.gif

If a fanboy did buy the house, would he store his books in the basement? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Aman, if you have proof to the contrary, bring it.

Chuck said he showed them OS prices on the 1950s books that were sitting on the floor (before he knew about what was in the closet) and offered to sell the books on consignment. After they refused, he found out about the closet and didn't "bid against himself." Sounds reasonable to me. I'd have done the same thing, except that I wouldn't have brought the Overstreet guide with me in the first place.

If you are suggesting you would have done otherwise in his shoes, then whatever you think about my "trained legal mind," you are either a damned fool or a liar.

You have no proof to counter what Chuck says happened, but because you feel as though Chuck slighted you in some manner ten years ago, you hate the guy now. Message received loud and clear. But you still have nothing more than your anger and cynicism to back up your view of what "must have happened."

Learn to live with the fact that Chuck didn't want to talk about the Church collection to a total stranger when you "gushingly" asked him about it ten years ago. It was probably a pretty sore spot with him by then. Lots of people have issues that they don't want to talk about when people have badmouthed them about it over the years. You happened to ask Chuck about one of his and he didn't feel like sharing. GET OVER IT. makepoint.gif

boy, you really take everything at face value huh? I tell that Chuck story fully aware of the Psych 101 analysis you have just given me. Sure Im mad as hell at Chuck cause he reacted that way!! Thats it! A breakthru!

Nope. It was an just an interesting interlude Im sharing as it affects my understanding of what makes Chuck tick. Ive met and talked with him several times since as well, by the way.

You and I agree we dont have much else to go on here as its all Chucks memory and phrasing thats available. Plus my encounters. Or yours (?)

Plus what seems to me to be common sense. As I keep saying, his story just doesnt add up. I really dont understand how you dont see it the same way and are far too willing IMO to believe his word solely because theres no one elses word out there. I guess in a court of law, that is how it works (not a slam at you) but If this WERE in court, would the sole historical record carry sign\ificant weight? I imagine it would as you seem to argue it does. "Common sense" is not permissable or a legal argument, just the facts. And the only "facts " we have are Chuck's.

I for one just dont buy it, hook line and sinker.

As you said earlier,, wouldnt nearly every one of us have done the same and gotten out of there as cheaply as possible? Yes, we would have. And made a killing. But I for one wouldnt expect anyone to admire me for it. No--- Id assume everyone saw my actions for exactly what they were: selfish and greedy. And I dont think I'd really want to talk about it afterward when strangers kept asking me about my greatest sin. (Hey, I had to eat too, right?) ...just like Chuck doesnt either.

So THAT's what I took from my encounter with Chuckie that day. Not anger at the miscommunication or the "slight" (remember too, that 10 years ago he was a faded almost bankrupt retailer who expanded too much too fast, not some "hero of mine" I looked up to. Just a kinda weird sad loser who blew it but had been somebody once. Part of my shock at his reaction was the fact that at that point in his career, the Church books were looking like all he'd be known for, and hello, he DOESN'T want to reminisce about them??? Weird!)... No I wasnt angry at him, to me it was a great insight into his character. And it was a surprise to me. My first real inkling that that deal wasnt as up and up as might have thought, if I ever really GAVE any thought to it at all before that.

Or he may have been tired of the same question all the time. But I wasnt accusing him of anything. I was on his side.... Maybe you could email him and ask him which way it was...

hi.gif Mark yay.gif

If a fanboy did buy the house, would he store his books in the basement? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Screw the books. I'd store myself in that basement and live to age 300. cloud9.gif

hi.gif Mark yay.gif

At the time, I was kinda hoping that either Verzyl or Geppi would have bought the thing. But, alas, twas no apparent interest from either .... frown.gif

Unfortunately, the current owner is not a comic collector ....

Alan

Would any collector fan pay 5 bucks to tour the basement? "And on the right is where the Batman's were stored"....OOOOHHHHH, AAAHHHH.