• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MORBIUS THE LIVING VAMPIRE starring Jared Leto (2022)
4 4

541 posts in this topic

I watched this on the plane yesterday and i have to admit it wasn't as bad as i was led to believe and to be honest it's on par with anything Marvel has put out in phase 4

not sure why people dumped on it as much

it's not a great character to begin with to be given his own movie but with what they had, it was enjoyable

On 8/23/2022 at 11:22 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I watched this on the plane yesterday and i have to admit it wasn't as bad as i was led to believe and to be honest it's on par with anything Marvel has put out in phase 4

it's not a great character to begin with to be given his own movie but with what they had, it was enjoyable

It's the easy target, unfortunately.

I was of the same experience when I watched it. Not great, but not trash either.

On 8/23/2022 at 10:40 AM, Bosco685 said:

I was of the same experience when I watched it. Not great, but not trash either.

I wish there was a way to slap the MCU and a few easter eggs so the MCU fanboys/fangirls would be "not great but loved it, viva MCU, can't wait for phase 5"

On 8/23/2022 at 11:22 AM, jsilverjanet said:

Brand loyalty. "Sell Spider-Man to Marvel! Sell DC to Disney!" If it's not made by the brand they worship, it's not worth anything. Most level-headed ratings seem to lineup with yours; "Mediocre."

I guess if you make a meme from a new movie, that automatically makes it bad? The BvS Martha scene, and now It's Morbin Time. Seems people get the idea that a meme means a movie is good-for-nothin', for some unknowable reason.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:40 AM, Bosco685 said:

I agree. Certainly not deserving of the trash reviews. I'd put it in the upper 50% of the MCU offerings. Overall rather enjoyable. 

watched this on NETFLIX.... hate to say I was expecting worse from all the reviews... I would place it in the same category as watching an 80s/90s action movie... worth the view but nothing special... but I never liked the main character much anyways

On 9/10/2022 at 1:01 AM, PovertyRow said:

I agree. Certainly not deserving of the trash reviews. I'd put it in the upper 50% of the MCU offerings. Overall rather enjoyable. 

I thought it was ok until the last act. I couldn't believe the movie ended like it did, I was waiting for something else to happen.

It seems like people just can't get enough of Leto's vampire. Now, Netflix's Top 10 has the good doctor near the top in the second slot. It's hard to fathom given both the critical and audience reviews for the title. On Rotten Tomatoes, Morbius sank very quickly following various screenings. It feels like fans are dangerously close to getting a Morbius 2 green lighted on accident. At any rate, the jokes will roll on until people find something else to giggle about on social media.

I watched it yesterday and found it entertaining. In my much younger years I bought off the stands the Morbius Spidey issues # 101 and #102. The multi-limbed Spider-Man did nothing for me and I found Morbius to be 'okay'. I never followed Morbius in any of his later appearances, so watching the movie yesterday I was able to disassociate myself from the comics character and just appreciate the movie.

I have no opinion one way or the other on the main actor, but I found his performance credible. It was fun. 

We saw it last Saturday. We were entertained. I doubt I'll watch it again any time soon, but I didn't hate it.

Milo was too predictable.

Martine's (that was her name, right?) fate made my eyes roll.

Leto definitely looked like Morbius vamped out.

I appreciated the little detail that he became a "vampire" while at sea. They didn't need to do that, and even though it really doesn't matter, it was nice to see that connection to the actual origin.

I found the bat scenes amusingly ironic ('The Joker' actor looking like Nolan's Bruce Wayne), but had to laugh (unamusingly) at how many he suddenly had at his disposal. The number in that chamber was a fraction of the number he summoned. Unless they were locals.

I'm glad it was filmed before the current formula was put into place. Nice to see a Marvel product that wasn't trying to lecture me in some way.

However...

Spoiler

...if they continue with this storyline, I have no doubt Martine will be better than Michael, because like in She-Hulk, a drop of blood carries more power than a body full.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:42 PM, Prince Namor said:

I just watched it and thought, “that’s not anywhere near being BAD”.

Thin on story… would’ve been better if Spidey showed up for the last 30 minutes, but again, nowhere near horrible. 

I had noted that earlier as well. I expected a mess and it came across more like a light story and a missed opportunity to connect the dots this is still a Spider-Verse movie.

But nothing to the level of disgust you would think.

Just rewatched it on Netflix and, while I enjoyed it the first time around I enjoyed it even more on the 2nd viewing. The Morbius makeup definitely put me in mind of ASM but I felt his origin was much better done and made more sense as written in the film than in ASM 102 itself, which is a bit of a mess. For me the film is eminently watchable.

Sony's Spider-verse raison d'etre

43rd Annual Golden Raspberry (Razzie®) Nominations
WORST PICTURE
Blonde
Disney’s Pinocchio
Good Mourning
The King’s Daughter
Morbius
WORST ACTOR
Colson Baker (aka Machine Gun Kelly) Good Mourning
Pete Davidson (Voice Only) Marmaduke
Tom Hanks (As Gepetto) Disney’s Pinocchio
Jared Leto / Morbius
Sylvester Stallone / Samaritan

WORST DIRECTOR
Judd Apatow / The Bubble
Colson Baker (aka Machine Gun Kelly) & Mod Sun / Good Mourning
Andrew Dominik / Blonde
Daniel Espinosa / Morbius
Robert Zemeckis / Disney’s Pinocchio

WORST SCREENPLAY
Blonde / Written for the Screen by Andrew Dominik,
Adapted from the “Bio-Novel” by Joyce Carol Oates
Disney’s Pinocchio / Screenplay by Robert Zemeckis & Chris Weitz
(Not Authorized by the Estate of Carlo Collodi)
Good Mourning / “Written” by Machine Gun Kelly & Mod Sun
Jurassic World: Dominion / Screenplay by Emily Carmichael
& Colin Treverrow,Story by Treverrow & Derek Connolly
Morbius / Screen Story and Screenplay by Matt Sazama & Burk Sharpless

Edited by paperheart