• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics #1 Club
1 1

162 posts in this topic

Back in the day...if one found a CF or Back cover or Front Cover and "married" it....everyone was happy!!!  The new married partners might make the value of  the book go from say 20% to 75% of a naturale.  

Today..who knows...and who should really care...all parts are original...that should be more important.and a Qualified "married" should be no different label...perhaps just a mention, if anything.

If for example...an Action 1 was graded by say PGX or even CBCS as a restored with married back cover...8.0...and the owner removed book and now sent to CGC...what would they call it? 

They would not call it "married" because there would be no way of knowing..and that is why this "married" label should not be qualified in IMHO.

I have a Marvel Mystery 9....the dealer who I know forever...sold me book and it says married CF...he said he bought comics from a collector...who had the book in a box loose...the CF was found in another box...same house..but was now frayed and damaged....he sent book in got it graded ..it came back married CF.....how does one really always know. Is there a court of opinion I can complain too? LOL

As far as a Front of Back cover missing book...the  .5 tells us nothing about the grade....a .5 does not have to be incomplete if it just looks like ....it may look like a 9.9 but nope, its a .5 until one finds the missing cover than it might be a 9.9 married....all too crazy for me...

That said..I'm happy to have bought that coverless copy on ebay.... ;)

18 hours ago, bluechip said:

I have seen multiple copies that were missing only front cover (including one in a CGC slab) and I found a back cover in the pre-CGC days which I married to a loose front cover from the Jacquet estate (yes, one of the restored October copies out there has a front cover from the Jacquet estate).   I also heard there were several coverless copies with back cover so figured I would happen on another someday for my nbc copy.   Would have bid on this had I known about it.  

Re the cover's uniqueness, some centaur collector told me there is a dupe cover inside and out on some obscure book, but may not even be in the same month, so it stretches the limits regarding how appropriate or inappropriate one may consider marrying it.  

Either way, including this one today I have seen three distinct coverless copies with a back cover and only one of those ended up getting married to a front cover.   So I would not be so sure that existing back covers sans the front don't equal or outnumber the existing front covers sans the back.  

That said, I will not be all surprised if it proves all but impossible to get a back cover without the owner quoting a price for the back cover alone which is higher than I'd expect to get for my book with his back cover married to it.    That has been how things have rolled recently in the parts market.

How do you know there is a copy with the Jacquet estate cover.   I saw the Pay copy before it was sold..made the mistake with a partner to pass on it for a few $1000 back in the day...ugh...

1 hour ago, storypapers said:

How do you know there is a copy with the Jacquet estate cover.   I saw the Pay copy before it was sold..made the mistake with a partner to pass on it for a few $1000 back in the day...ugh...

It was sold in a Sotheby's or Christie's auction in the 90s along with a coverless copy of Motion Picture Funnies Weekly, both listed as from the Jacquet estate.   I missed the combo auction but later got the cover without the MPFW after the buyer flipped it out (probably just wanted the MPFW).   It was an October front cover with the bottom severely trimmed for some reason (might have been removing the indicia).  In resto that bottom strip was recreated.   So somebody who does resto detection could probably tell fairly easily which of the restored October copies has that cover.

Edited by bluechip

1 hour ago, storypapers said:

Back in the day...if one found a CF or Back cover or Front Cover and "married" it....everyone was happy!!!  The new married partners might make the value of  the book go from say 20% to 75% of a naturale.  

Today..who knows...and who should really care...all parts are original...that should be more important.and a Qualified "married" should be no different label...perhaps just a mention, if anything.

If for example...an Action 1 was graded by say PGX or even CBCS as a restored with married back cover...8.0...and the owner removed book and now sent to CGC...what would they call it? 

They would not call it "married" because there would be no way of knowing..and that is why this "married" label should not be qualified in IMHO.

I have a Marvel Mystery 9....the dealer who I know forever...sold me book and it says married CF...he said he bought comics from a collector...who had the book in a box loose...the CF was found in another box...same house..but was now frayed and damaged....he sent book in got it graded ..it came back married CF.....how does one really always know. Is there a court of opinion I can complain too? LOL

As far as a Front of Back cover missing book...the  .5 tells us nothing about the grade....a .5 does not have to be incomplete if it just looks like ....it may look like a 9.9 but nope, its a .5 until one finds the missing cover than it might be a 9.9 married....all too crazy for me...

That said..I'm happy to have bought that coverless copy on ebay.... ;)

Action 1, Supe 1 and Bat 1 are the biggest keys with unique back covers.   But in the case of Supe 1 and Bat 1, for every copy missing a back cover there seems to be at least one loose back cover that was scissored away and put on a wall for the pin-up.

Action 1 not so much but the interior of the back cover is a sports themed collage with images of ruth and gehrig and it, too, probably ended up in a few sports=-related collections and scrapbooks.   I would bet good money there are undiscovered copies out there with people who have no idea that it's not just a page of sports cartoons but the back of the biggest comic cover.,

2 hours ago, bluechip said:

It was sold in a Sotheby's or Christie's auction in the 90s along with a coverless copy of Motion Picture Funnies Weekly, both listed as from the Jacquet estate.   I missed the combo auction but later got the cover without the MPFW after the buyer flipped it out (probably just wanted the MPFW).   It was an October front cover with the bottom severely trimmed for some reason (might have been removing the indicia).  In resto that bottom strip was recreated.   So somebody who does resto detection could probably tell fairly easily which of the restored October copies has that cover.

Ah...I see...then it is not my copy then...good to know..thanks!  Joe

At the time we passed on a All Select #1...in nice shape...proof copies of MPFW...a few issues I believe but we had no idea what a pay copy was back then....one of my biggest ever mistakes in not buying the small grouping....not counting my selling of my collection over 20 years ago right before CGC....I had Action 1, Det 27, Cap 1, Suspense 3 and much more....along with high grade copies of ASM, FF etc...since I was original buyer of the Bethlehem collection.....and built from there....ugh...:pullhair:
That said I had a lot of fun learning about many other forms of Popular Fiction.....and now back into comics although it would be impossible or near impossible to recreate the collection I had back then...oh, well..can't take it with ya :bigsmile::preach:

On 6/25/2019 at 5:26 PM, storypapers said:

My copy .....just a low..low grade .5  LOL.....I just don't know....about that grade...makes no sense to me..anywhere here it is.... :)

Please allow me to buy all your .5 keys that look like this!  :bigsmile:

jthnIJ.jpg

Is this the coverless you bought with a reproduced cover added or a different book entirely?

On 6/28/2019 at 6:45 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

Is this the coverless you bought with a reproduced cover added or a different book entirely?

I look forward to seeing the green slab.  What grade u think it'll get?  It looks amazing!  I’ll take it!

22 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

I look forward to seeing the green slab.  What grade u think it'll get?  It looks amazing!  I’ll take it!

Haha...if you got 6 figures we may be able to make that happen LOL 

3 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

So 100k for a green label 4.0?  I’m not sure if that’s high or low.

I'm confused. If he's swapping the back cover from the copy he bought with his current copy that has a facsimile cover, than at best it's a green label 1.0, being the front and back cover will be split and not attached. The moment you marry them and attach them, that's resto and it's purple. So where does this green label 4.0 situation come from?

Edited by LDarkseid1

No..since restored it will come back what it appears to be....the splitting will be mentioned since its "married" but it will not affect overall grade....if it was unrestored then yes it would be no better than a 1.8 or so