• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Critics Wrong Again: Justice League Was Pretty Good

49 posts in this topic

Thought it was pretty darn good but I don't think that Cyborg has historically been that important to the League and that was a seat that the Martian Manhunter deserved.  I always felt the Manhunter was the "sane" one in the League and could be trusted to clean up the mess the other members created.  He also embodies more the ideals of the League whereas Cyborg spent too much time in this picture in various angsty type scenes fretting about himself.

22 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Howard Hawks' definition of a good director was "someone who doesn't annoy you." He came to believe that a good film consisted of at least three good scenes and no bad ones--at least not a scene that could irritate and alienate the audience. He said, "As long as you make good scenes you have a good picture--it doesn't matter if it isn't much of a story."

Love the dialog in Hawks's films.  Rewatched (for about the tenth time) His Gal Friday a few weeks ago.  Great stuff.

22 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Annoyingly, Snyder relies far too heavily on the tropes of Dark Knight mood and lighting. His films may as well be in black and white. He seems to be entirely devoid of humor, far too in love with CGI to be truly cinematic. Nothing worse than bathos in a movie.

From all I've read, the Warner execs are very worried by the dark tone of the past few films (WW excepted, of course) and Whedon was brought in to lighten things up.  The relatively weak opening of this film in North America has done nothing to allay those fears.

10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

From all I've read, the Warner execs are very worried by the dark tone of the past few films (WW excepted, of course) and Whedon was brought in to lighten things up.  The relatively weak opening of this film in North America has done nothing to allay those fears.

For what it's worth, seeing previews of a barbarian Aquaman was enough to turn me off from watching this.  They're not making movies that look like my comics, devoid of all joy and hope.

Waiting to see something for free on cable used to take a long time.  Waiting to see something for free on Netflix is much more palatable.

Much better than Batdog V super> reason: new director JW came in took over from that hack Synder...give all the credit to the new director and his 15% of the film which made it WAY BETTER, thumbs UP, good popcorn fun, but the best movie of the year by far is the new Bladerunner, you have to see it on the big screen...amazing production design.

19 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:
On 11/23/2017 at 10:16 AM, Sqeggs said:

His Gal Friday a few weeks ago.  Great stuff.

Only angels have wings:cloud9:

Yep.  Another great example of Hawks's cross-talk dialog (if that's what it's called). 

15 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Much better than Batdog V super> reason: new director JW came in took over from that hack Synder...give all the credit to the new director and his 15% of the film which made it WAY BETTER, thumbs UP, good popcorn fun, but the best movie of the year by far is the new Bladerunner, you have to see it on the big screen...amazing production design.

One sign to me of a good movie is how much time you spend thinking about it after you have seen it. In the case of JLA that was about zero for me; in the case of Blade Runner I was thinking of scenes for days afterwards.

The production work of BR was also outstanding as you mention; it also made my best of the year movie although Coco sounds like a winner too.

Finally gotten around to seeing JL and wasn't interested in what the critics said beforehand.  That behind said I thought it was the worst DC movie I have ever seen since the inception of Man of Steel for this Universe.  I thought the acting was poor for the most part, the CGI was extremely phony looking, and I didn't care about any of the characters on either side.  It reeked of trying to be too "Avengery" for me at times.  I despised Aquaman but thought Cyborg had potential and I thought Ezra Miller did well as the Flash but it seemed to me they needed a Tom Holland like character and they got it (although I hear the cartoon Flash is played for laughs and that's pre Civil Way)  So disappointed  

52 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Finally gotten around to seeing JL and wasn't interested in what the critics said beforehand.  That behind said I thought it was the worst DC movie I have ever seen since the inception of Man of Steel for this Universe.  I thought the acting was poor for the most part, the CGI was extremely phony looking, and I didn't care about any of the characters on either side.  It reeked of trying to be too "Avengery" for me at times.  I despised Aquaman but thought Cyborg had potential and I thought Ezra Miller did well as the Flash but it seemed to me they needed a Tom Holland like character and they got it (although I hear the cartoon Flash is played for laughs and that's pre Civil Way)  So disappointed  

:whatthe:      poop.jpg.dbaf3994c117886c7aca2f27f856c351.jpg it was good

On 11/24/2017 at 5:02 PM, Sqeggs said:

Yep.  Another great example of Hawks's cross-talk dialog (if that's what it's called). 

Yes, rapid fire, naturalistic, improvised. And he also understood how to build tension, which I think CGI destroys, because at its most heavy handed and intrusive, it distracts from the 'human' interaction...'Calling Baranca.....calling Baranca....'

Edited by Flex Mentallo