• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forgotten photos. Random stuff from a lost file...
3 3

348 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, N e r V said:

It isn’t just an age thing but really the number of comic collectors prior to say 1964 was always pretty small. These things called comics were considered disposable entertainment by most.

Fortunately that was the case, otherwise Golden Age and Silver Age comics would be worth the same as Bronze and Copper books, and collecting them would be as challenging. 

11 hours ago, N e r V said:

FYI, for any of you feeling you’re old my great grandmother celebrated her 102nd birthday this past May. Her husband passed a few years ago at 106.

It’s not about the numbers but how well you are holding together in time. ;)

It's a trade-off, our years may be numbered but we got to actually walk into Cherokee, go up the stairs to the hidden room, and buy from Burt...that was like being in Wonderland for me.

I break down the sweet spots for “being there” for my interest in the following hobbies:

Science Fiction: 1930’s thru 1950’s

Comics and their fan movement: 1960’s thru 1970’s

Computers: 1970’s thru 1980’s

I think for anyone living thru these decades you would have been a part of a special period in each of the hobbies and had stories to tell.

Edited by N e r V

17 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

It's a trade-off, our years may be numbered but we got to actually walk into Cherokee, go up the stairs to the hidden room, and buy from Burt...that was like being in Wonderland for me.

I thought wonderland for you was stumbling across a seething den of San Francisco Garter Snakes in the wild..... GOD BLESS....

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

8 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:
18 hours ago, comicjack said:

I'm right with you one foot towards eternity lol

Me too!

Everyone walks a different road
And the signs are never clear
Just don't be fooled by the ones that say
You can't get there from here

Every turn is a lesson learned
And the bumps make us strong
So travel through with a heart that's true
To the road your walking on

Take the detours as you find them
And the shortcuts when you can
With a storm on the horizon
And the dream around the bend

And take it all in
Turn it around
Keep trusting in
The road you're walking down

The way to your dreams
Can only be found
With one foot in eternity
And one on shaky ground

40 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I break down the sweet spots for “being there” for my interest in the following hobbies:

Science Fiction: 1930’s thru 1950’s

Comics and their fan movement: 1960’s thru 1970’s

Computers: 1970’s thru 1980’s

I think for anyone living thru these decades you would have been a part of a special period in each of the hobbies and had stories to tell.

Consecutive Houston Astros World Series Wins: 2017's - 2030's? 2040's? Very hard to tell how long this dynasty could go on but no doubt it is a special time that we will be able to continue experiencing with our children, grand children, and hopefully their grand children long after we are gone.

astrosparade.jpg

13 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Consecutive Houston Astros World Series Wins: 2017's - 2030's? 2040's? Very hard to tell how long this dynasty could go on but no doubt it is a special time that we will be able to continue experiencing with our children, grand children, and hopefully their grand children long after we are gone.

astrosparade.jpg

I don’t know about that.

I heard the Dodgers have picked up a new secret weapon this winter...

bugsbunny.gif?w=1000

bugs-bunny.gif?resize=400,300&ssl=1

tumblr_mnuk4aLNT41r5v9gpo1_500.gif

Edited by N e r V

The only thing the Dodgers need to add is one clutch hit each from Justin Turner and Cody Bellinger.

Great selection of photos!

Having grown up back east in New Jersey a short train ride from Manhattan I started to convince my parents and grandparents to take me to Seuling Cons starting in 1972. Alas, I have no photos only fun memories including Gil Kane coming up to me and telling me he was a pro. He might have been a child molester as far as I was concerned as I wondered why the creepy old man was bugging me.

When I received my first Overstreet it was a revelation. My battered first copy is shown below; I spent countless hours reading every page and uncovering the wonders of the history of these books I loved so much.

I discovered some ads for some New York back issue comic stores so I convinced my Grandmother to walk about 2 miles uptown from Penn Station to go to Supersnipe Comics on one trip which was my first entry into the world of specialty comic book stores. I picked up a copy of Donald Duck #30 that I still own to this day. I've never seen any photos of Supersnipe anywhere. I wish I could find one. 

tn_Overstreet2.jpg