• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

comics that never leave the LCS wall

90 posts in this topic

A store here has all three walls (the front of the store is all glass) as well as the ceiling pretty much wallpapered with books. The books have all been damaged over the years from sunlight and store lighting. Nice Silver Age books all the way up to 90s drek. I just don't get it. Every time I'm there I look at this copy of Showcase 55 on the ceiling, and each time the colors are worse.

17 minutes ago, darkstar said:

A store here has all three walls (the front of the store is all glass) as well as the ceiling pretty much wallpapered with books. The books have all been damaged over the years from sunlight and store lighting. Nice Silver Age books all the way up to 90s drek. I just don't get it. Every time I'm there I look at this copy of Showcase 55 on the ceiling, and each time the colors are worse.

It seems to me that purple covers get the life sucked out of them the quickest.

5 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:
46 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

maybe they are torturing the books in hopes some one might pay their ransom to end the abuse.

That could explain so much.

I've thought many times about burning my unsaleable books, to remove them from the available pool.  Jackwagons.

11 hours ago, ygogolak said:

LED lighting does not cause fading. It's the UV found in sunlight and fluorescents.

I would be interested to see the research on this.

37 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I would be interested to see the research on this.

There are lots of articles as it relates to paintings and museums.

https://collectionsconversations.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/led-lighting-fact-and-fiction/

Thanks!  :banana: 

Fluorescent light will noticeably fade a comic in about 60 days... especially books higher on the wall.  Direct sunlight will do the same in under a week.  Over the years I always tried to rotate books in display cases that hadn't sold every few weeks.  Once in awhile one would get by me.  You wouldn't see it offhand, but when you removed it from the bag you'd see the darker square of original color where the bag price sticker had shielded it from the UV rays.  I had UV-proof glass in some of my showcases, and a couple of years ago we switched the entire store(s) over to LED.  Movie posters, for some reason, don't fade nearly as fast or as obviously as comics... something about the way they were printed makes the colors hold out longer.

7 hours ago, Bookery said:

Fluorescent light will noticeably fade a comic in about 60 days... especially books higher on the wall.  Direct sunlight will do the same in under a week.  Over the years I always tried to rotate books in display cases that hadn't sold every few weeks.  Once in awhile one would get by me.  You wouldn't see it offhand, but when you removed it from the bag you'd see the darker square of original color where the bag price sticker had shielded it from the UV rays.  I had UV-proof glass in some of my showcases, and a couple of years ago we switched the entire store(s) over to LED.  Movie posters, for some reason, don't fade nearly as fast or as obviously as comics... something about the way they were printed makes the colors hold out longer.

Interesting. What was your cost to switch the lighting? It's relatively low (about $100 for a commercial grade 2x4, material only), but still more overhead than most shops can or want to absorb.

I stopped in a shop while traveling today. They had a big rack that was filled with magazines right by the front door. All faded to hell.

18 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Interesting. What was your cost to switch the lighting? It's relatively low (about $100 for a commercial grade 2x4, material only), but still more overhead than most shops can or want to absorb.

I stopped in a shop while traveling today. They had a big rack that was filled with magazines right by the front door. All faded to hell.

We have a large store, so the cost was about $12,000... but the utility company had a rebate program going on and we got 50% back.   The bad thing was... we also had to have a roof replacement done at the same time! (no rebate on that one).  This year, we had to replace one of our 4 commercial heating/ac units (about $10k), so the joys of owning one's own buildings never cease!  On the plus side, however... the savings on electric bills since we made the switch have been huge... over 50% less than before.  So if one is planning on being in business for awhile... with or without a rebate, it's probably worth it.

10 minutes ago, Bookery said:

We have a large store, so the cost was about $12,000... but the utility company had a rebate program going on and we got 50% back.   The bad thing was... we also had to have a roof replacement done at the same time! (no rebate on that one).  This year, we had to replace one of our 4 commercial heating/ac units (about $10k), so the joys of owning one's own buildings never cease!  On the plus side, however... the savings on electric bills since we made the switch have been huge... over 50% less than before.  So if one is planning on being in business for awhile... with or without a rebate, it's probably worth it.

Didn't even notice your name. Bought some stuff from you at the Jim & Dan show. You have a ton of great stuff!

1 hour ago, jharvey said:

Here's a link to a comic that must have spent some time as a "wall comic". You can even see a darker ink area where the price sticker was.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daredevil-158-1st-Frank-Miller-work-on-title-5-79-Marvel-Reader/173082726236?epid=1200995139&hash=item284c88cf5c:g:GLoAAOSwc6JaUmXD

no kidding ... Daredevil is not even red anymore on the cover of that faded out comic ....