• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

comics that never leave the LCS wall

90 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2017 at 8:14 PM, NoMan said:

I picked up about 7 copies of She Hulk #1 for about 5$ each from a guy in Waco, Texas about 8 months ago.

You still can't convince me it's worth Sh----.  But you know, someone wants to pay my 50$ - 75$ for one, I'll get 'em for five bucks. :ohnoez:

She-Hulk's ascendance isn't nearly as disturbing to me as the fact that Rom #1 is now a wall book.

10 hours ago, F For Fake said:

She-Hulk's ascendance isn't nearly as disturbing to me as the fact that Rom #1 is now a wall book.

I kinda want to read that series. No chance of a TPB because of toy merchandising rights, so the experts say. 

Edited by NoMan

11 hours ago, NoMan said:

I kinda want to read that series. No chance of a TPB because of toy merchandising rights, so the experts say. 

I actually own and enjoy some issues of Rom, but when I was a kid, Rom was synonymous with "worthless". The fact that the wheel has turned to the point where #1 is a wall book is interesting to me. I would say "mind blowing", but in the current market, nothing really shocks me anymore.

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

I actually own and enjoy some issues of Rom, but when I was a kid, Rom was synonymous with "worthless". The fact that the wheel has turned to the point where #1 is a wall book is interesting to me. I would say "mind blowing", but in the current market, nothing really shocks me anymore.

Could it just be we are “old” now? Maybe when we were younger collectors looking at Xmen 4 or Spiderman 129 on the Wall, an older GA collector just couldn’t get it. 

Black Panther 1, She Hulk 1, Spiderwoman 1 on the Wall? I just don’t get it. I should though. I’m working on a project t on the Disney Lot and they are pumping the Black Panther movie HARD. The Disney studio store looks like a LCS toy area. Marvel action figures everywhere 

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:
13 hours ago, NoMan said:

I think I have a full set, or at least a long run of them, and definitely bought duplicates of # 1.  Pretty sure I sold a couple of them to greggy this past year...., :whistle: 

2 hours ago, NoMan said:
2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Could it just be we are “old” now? Maybe when we were younger collectors looking at Xmen 4 or Spiderman 129 on the Wall, an older GA collector just couldn’t get it. 

Black Panther 1, She Hulk 1, Spiderwoman 1 on the Wall? I just don’t get it. I should though. I’m working on a project t on the Disney Lot and they are pumping the Black Panther movie HARD. The Disney studio store looks like a LCS toy area. Marvel action figures everywhere 

The Black Panther one really boggles my mind.  Sure there is a movie either out or in the wings (I don't live in civilization) but the comic series was terrible.  Terrible Kirby art and writing.  Of course, maybe if I went back a read my set as a 56 year old, it might have aged well.

On 12/25/2017 at 8:34 PM, 01TheDude said:

exactly-- which makes them fade even more so than anything at your LCS. When I see the layout of Chuck's store, I think the main goal is to be impressed with himself.

There is really nothing impressive about the layout or the wall books. Yes, everything is grossly overpriced, but I was far more concerned about the multitude of buckets placed around the store in order to catch water from the leaking roof of the building (this was circa 2015). Also, the staff didn't impress me as being very knowledgeable. For example, I asked about EC comics and the guy at the desk was honestly clueless about my question! 

I did, however, thoroughly enjoy browsing his wares. Looking through the store was a joy, but I'd never make a serious purchase there. Everything, as mentioned, is grossly overpriced. 

I have no idea how they stay in business and I jokingly wonder, without any proof of course, if the whole operation isn't a cover for a money laundering scheme. 

55 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The Black Panther one really boggles my mind.  Sure there is a movie either out or in the wings (I don't live in civilization) but the comic series was terrible.  Terrible Kirby art and writing.  Of course, maybe if I went back a read my set as a 56 year old, it might have aged well.

It's no Devil Dinosaur.

14 hours ago, NoMan said:

Rom's actually quite a consistently readable comic.  Not bad at all.

On ‎2018‎/‎01‎/‎09 at 7:15 AM, F For Fake said:

I still own a run of Rom from issue 1 to 25. Great read.

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I still own a run of Rom from issue 1 to 25. Great read.

The Dire Wraiths were quite unsettling at times.

One of the best extraterrestrial threats to appear in comic books.

On 12/24/2017 at 6:55 PM, NoMan said:

a local LCS has had an IH 181 for $1,300 on the wall for forever and I mean forever. I guess remembering the grade would be important for such a post as this but for the life of me I can't remember it. Doesn't look too terrible but not very great either.

Next time I go I'll remember the grade. It'll still be there. Maybe a Fine + ??

Well, at least he had a price on it.  I remember about about 20-25 years ago when I was in NC, I stumbled into a LCS and saw an entire wall full of extremely good SA/BA books (multiple keys, IH 181, X-men 94, Spidey 129, etc..), but no price tags.  Now I was out of comics by then, but I had to stop and ask what he was asking for this one NM copy of DD #158.  He said it wasn't for sale.  As it turned out, 90% of the store was covered by his private collection that he had on intentions of selling.  The a-hole was just using these to draw people in.  The only thing you could actually buy was the drek in his bins.  Needless to say, I bought nothing and walked thinking "no wonder the industry is going to mess". 

Edited by Brian48

20 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Well, at least he had a price on it.  I remember about about 20-25 years ago when I was in NC, I stumbled into a LCS and saw an entire wall full of extremely good SA/BA books (multiple keys, IH 181, X-men 94, Spidey 129, etc..), but no price tags.  Now I was out of comics by then, but I had to stop and ask what he was asking for this one NM copy of DD #158.  He said it wasn't for sale.  As it turned out, 90% of the store was covered by his private collection that he had on intentions of selling.  The a-hole was just using these to draw people in.  The only thing you could actually buy was the drek in his bins.  Needless to say, I bought nothing and walked thinking "no wonder the industry is going to mess". 

I was at Fort Bragg for a few years (1998-2001) and visited a few comic shops around the state at that time.  I am curious as to what city that shop was in.

16 minutes ago, Von Cichlid said:

I was at Fort Bragg for a few years (1998-2001) and visited a few comic shops around the state at that time.  I am curious as to what city that shop was in.

It might have been Wilmington, but I'm not sure.  

i'm small potatoes and i could take my 50th best comic and it would be my LCS' best wall comic ,... i just don't get it ... i wish i had a nice LCS

zero GA very little SA and way overpriced what little they have.....

oh well .. with eBay one really doesn't need an LCS thank god......

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i'm small potatoes and i could take my 50th best comic and it would be my LCS' best wall comic ,... i just don't get it ... i wish i had a nice LCS

zero GA very little SA and way overpriced what little they have.....

oh well .. with eBay one really doesn't need an LCS thank god......

I take mom to Syracuse to shop on Black Friday every year.  Unfortunately, they only have one comic store, and I won't even bother visiting anymore.    Everything was priced religiously at twice Overstreet, and their wall books were faded from hanging on their walls.  It's one of those places where I hope they sell their best books on eBay, just so they don't die there.

The one store that sticks out for me is/was One Million Comix in Toronto.

They had books up high so it was difficult to actually see them and were "displayed" with a small binder clip onto the very top edge of the board on a thumbtacks stuck into the wall (I hate stores that display like this).  Some of the books (or the boards) started to 'curl' and you could see some of the clips were actually pinching the top edge of some of the comics.  They were also ridiculously over priced. I would pop in occasionally when I was in the city for work as it was close to my hotel and would see the same wall books month after month, year after year.

...They no longer exist as a store as far as I know now.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The Dire Wraiths were quite unsettling at times.

One of the best extraterrestrial threats to appear in comic books.

Scared the crud out of me at a young age.  It was freaky they actually showed the bodies falling apart and the Wraiths were always smiling afterwards.

Edited by 1Cool