• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

comics that never leave the LCS wall

90 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, NoMan said:

what is this, Pal?

Reds have all turned to orange from fading - though not sure if it's from sun or lights or some of both.

Here's one I found on net without the fading - too lazy to pull and scan my nice raw copy.  Sadly, to show the right coloring I picked a copy sold by that scam artist POS 'all things comics' with obvious color touch to untrained eye that he screwed the new owner with by claiming "just a small amt of color touch."  But the reds are all there.

I think Hulk 181 are now selling for well over $200 a point (so a 5.0 is well priced at 1000).  Your LCS probably has a 5.5 or less at 1300 if it's still sitting there.

s-l1600.jpg

19 minutes ago, grebal said:

Reds have all turned to orange from fading - though not sure if it's from sun or lights or some of both.

Here's one I found on net without the fading - too lazy to pull and scan my nice raw copy.  Sadly, to show the right coloring I picked a copy sold by that scam artist POS 'all things comics' with obvious color touch to untrained eye that he screwed the new owner with by claiming "just a small amt of color touch."  But the reds are all there.

I think Hulk 181 are now selling for well over $200 a point (so a 5.0 is well priced at 1000).  Your LCS probably has a 5.5 or less at 1300 if it's still sitting there.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I can't understand how any LCS would not use a photocopy of the book to protect the real book behind it. I would use this method and between book and copy place something significant that reduced light. Or better yet-- have the books stored out of light entirely with the copies alerting people to the book being available to check out for purchase.

Exactly. One shop I visit does this. They also have a case, out of harms way for the most part.

There is a Silver Surfer #4in it, listed as VF/NM. Price...$900

29 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

What a joke.

Reminds me of ebay sellers who refuse to lower prices. They just let books sit there month after month after year and so on.

A lot of eBay users have books listed that they don't intend to sell. They bring eyeballs. They also inform buyers that while something may not be for sale, everything still has a price, provided you force their hand.

10 hours ago, NoMan said:

Is the fluorescent lighting fade really a thing?

Absolutely - it only takes a few months to try it out yourself if you're an unbeliever.

I witnessed it firsthand in my office for the past 27 years.

There was also a comic shop 180 miles distant from me that I would drop in on every six months or so, and you could definitely see their wall books fade out.  They had unrealistic prices on stuff they thought was cool, and liked having on the wall.  Hence, the books rarely turned over and you could watch them die over time.

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Absolutely - it only takes a few months to try it out yourself if you're an unbeliever.

There was also a comic shop 180 miles distant from me that I would drop in on every six months or so, and you could definitely see their wall books fade out.  They had unrealistic prices on stuff they thought was cool, and liked having on the wall.  Hence, the books rarely turned over and you could watch them die over time.

and that is the kind of thing that if you mention it to the LCS owner, they would probably get upset with you instead of seeing it as good advice.

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
10 hours ago, NoMan said:

Is the fluorescent lighting fade really a thing?

Agreed.  There was a comic shop on the South side that displayed all the Marvel keys in a cabinet with a fluorescent light at the top.  After a few years the comics had lost most of their color, books closest to the light were affected the most.

4 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

and that is the kind of thing that if you mention it to the LCS owner, they would probably get upset with you instead of seeing it as good advice.

Inflamed, is more like it.

3 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Agreed.  There was a comic shop on the South side that displayed all the Marvel keys in a cabinet with a fluorescent light at the top.  After a few years the comics had lost most of their color, books closest to the light were affected the most.

It is sad to see, for sure.

4 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

from what I've seen in the various youtube videos, MileHigh displays their books like this-- you would think they would know better.

Ganja, man..., Ganja.

banana082.gif

You're talking about a guy with cow tattoos next to his nipples.

15 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

from what I've seen in the various youtube videos, MileHigh displays their books like this-- you would think they would know better.

Does Mile High sell ANY of their wall books?

I thought Chuck's policy was to raise prices to be point that books stopped selling.  

Just now, Hudson said:

Does Mile High sell ANY of their wall books?

I thought Chuck's policy was to raise prices to be point that books stopped selling.  

exactly-- which makes them fade even more so than anything at your LCS. When I see the layout of Chuck's store, I think the main goal is to be impressed with himself.