• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Feb 22-24 Heritage Auction Thread
4 4

552 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Okay, fair enough I guess, but the way the word iconic keeps getting watered down, we are going to have to invent a new, more meaningful word for classic material.        

Grail and iconic, both overused in comics and art. But back when, FF 100, ASM 100, FF 236 (Marvel's 20th anniversary month), similar milestone books (check out Iron Man 100 lol) tended to get covers that reflected milestone status. I'm just making the point that chicken came before egg in these cases.

14 minutes ago, vodou said:

Grail and iconic, both overused in comics and art. But back when, FF 100, ASM 100, FF 236 (Marvel's 20th anniversary month), similar milestone books (check out Iron Man 100 lol) tended to get covers that reflected milestone status. I'm just making the point that chicken came before egg in these cases.

I hear you.  As for Iron Man, it was the first series I collected so I thought of 100 immediately - but it doesn't fit the "jam all the characters into one shot" theme that the others seem to fall into.   

53 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I hear you.  As for Iron Man, it was the first series I collected so I thought of 100 immediately - but it doesn't fit the "jam all the characters into one shot" theme that the others seem to fall into.   

Avengers 200 then :)

Image result for avengers 200

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

I feel like if this same image was the cover to, #78 or something, the price would be reduced by 50%

That's a big premium to pay for a round number?

100% round-number/trophy hunter premium.    

On 2018-01-08 at 9:51 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

OK, maybe not official since it hasn't been 'blessed' by the powers-that-be at Heritage, but the auction isn't that far away and I haven't seen a thread for it yet so let's all meet here and chat about some of our favourite pieces in the auction, answer some questions, and hopefully, we'll end up with a few winners and share in our victories.

I'll post some more over the next few days.

Fun to see how prices from the initial list of interesting items are doing.

we all know how the ASM 100 cover is doing, and I'm certain many of us are curious as to the final hammer price.

The other items on the list still have a long way to go to hit FMV, I think.  Well, the Star Wars cover is at $26K and that's an area of OA that I don't follow so perhaps some Star Wars folks can chime in and speak to this?

6 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Fun to see how prices from the initial list of interesting items are doing.

we all know how the ASM 100 cover is doing, and I'm certain many of us are curious as to the final hammer price.

The other items on the list still have a long way to go to hit FMV, I think.  Well, the Star Wars cover is at $26K and that's an area of OA that I don't follow so perhaps some Star Wars folks can chime in and speak to this?

The Star Wars cover is #9. I think you've got it listed at #7.

It's at $31,070 currently with the BP.

On 2/17/2018 at 8:18 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 2/16/2018 at 6:41 PM, GotSuperPowers? said:

I was watching that page with slightly more than a passing interest as I have the page directly after it.  Considering the Hulk shots on the page, it really is a shocking result.  I have to hope it was an anomaly and two fanboys going at it on a page. Though War and Pieces was a great story so maybe that is the X-Factor, so to speak, on this page.

My favourite panel page sourced from you has to be this one:  http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=561154 :cloud9:

On 2/16/2018 at 8:48 PM, comix4fun said:

Keown fans are known to be particular about which inker and which issue they spend their money on....McLeod, Farmer, Rubinstein and de la Rosa (that sweet page in Heritage) are all inkers that come to mind. It's a key component in pricing and desirability. 

On 2/17/2018 at 8:18 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

There's two really nice Keown splashes.. the one I used to own from Incredible Hulk 373, with its witty banter, and you just know that Doc Samson is gonna be in a world of pain when the Hulk smashes that tank on his head.  Poor Lenny can never catch a break... or a tank!  ?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dale-keown-and-sam-de-la-rosa-incredible-hulk-373-story-page-14-original-art-marvel-1990-/a/7177-92125.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

the second splash is more recent and features the Hulk and Wolverine from the Avengers + Xmen series.  I'm a fan of Dale's newer style (well, not so new any more because it's been around 15 years since Hulk:the End introduced this style) and this is a killer splash featuring Hulk and Wolvie so I'll definitely be watching this one.  Here's the link:  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/splash-pages/dale-keown-a-x-1-splash-page-8-hulk-and-wolverine-original-art-marvel-2012-/a/7177-92126.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

There's two really nice Keown splashes.. the one I used to own from Incredible Hulk 373, with its witty banter, and you just know that Doc Samson is gonna be in a world of pain when the Hulk smashes that tank on his head.  Poor Lenny can never catch a break... or a tank!  ?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dale-keown-and-sam-de-la-rosa-incredible-hulk-373-story-page-14-original-art-marvel-1990-/a/7177-92125.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

the second splash is more recent and features the Hulk and Wolverine from the Avengers + Xmen series.  I'm a fan of Dale's newer style (well, not so new any more because it's been around 15 years since Hulk:the End introduced this style) and this is a killer splash featuring Hulk and Wolvie so I'll definitely be watching this one.  Here's the link:  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/splash-pages/dale-keown-a-x-1-splash-page-8-hulk-and-wolverine-original-art-marvel-2012-/a/7177-92126.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

The Keown Hulk market has been moving lately for sure but it has been slightly unpredictable as well - hard to pin down the factors driving upward bidding so I just sum it up to a lot of people trying to add art from Dale's run on Hulk in their collection. No rhyme or reason that jumps out to me. Dale is one of my favorite artists and his stuff has never been cheap - I feel fortunate to have some nice examples that I was able to pick up prior to the recent rise. I don't think I am done buying his art so I am always on the lookout for more.  At 5.5K, the 373 page is already over the price point that I would consider a purchase and I feel is an outlier. I am really curious if there are any bidders yet to move that price upward tomorrow. 

22 hours ago, Bronty said:

382 for that cover with days to go is basically the fourth sign of the apocalypse though (trending towards what - 400, 500, 600?).   Good golly.    Not a fan.   Would love to own it.. but not a fan.

At this point, you have to figure that matching the DKR #3 splash's $448K is a slam dunk.  DKR #2 cover's $478K?  I'm inclined to take the over!

When all is said and done, we might even be talking about a 200% trophy/round-number premium. hm 

I love how the ASM #59 cover has just been listed by Mike B. at Romitaman.com for $400K.  Which would ordinarily be a price tag that would cause coffee to shoot out of my nose, but, which looks positively reasonable, if not cheap, compared to the ASM #100 (for the record, I would take the #59 cover one million out of one million times over the #100).  Now that is brilliant marketing! :applause: 

7 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

At this point, you have to figure that matching the DKR #3 splash's $448K is a slam dunk.  DKR #2 cover's $478K?  I'm inclined to take the over!

When all is said and done, we might even be talking about a 200% trophy/round-number premium. hm 

I love how the ASM #59 cover has just been listed by Mike B. at Romitaman.com for $400K.  Which would ordinarily be a price tag that would cause coffee to shoot out of my nose, but, which looks positively reasonable, if not cheap, compared to the ASM #100 (for the record, I would take the #59 cover one million out of one million times over the #100).  Now that is brilliant marketing! :applause: 

Yeah me too, its feeling like 550-575 kind of range to me, which is positively insane, but we shall see. 

Also makes Mandel's early ditko (11?) cover feel like 1.5, but I digress.

Edited by Bronty

7 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Yeah me too, its feeling like 550-575 kind of range to me, which is positively insane, but we shall see. 

Also makes Mandel's early ditko (11?) cover feel like 1.5, but I digress.

Man, and I was getting this..."done"....feeling about the bidding. 

Just now, Bronty said:

Could be.   Who the heck knows anymore.

It certainly defies analysis and logic at this point, so I agree. 

We've seen a few examples of this on high end pieces over the years, big rush and whizzing match with giant bids and then crickets when it goes live. 

The overnight run from $227 to $382 really felt just like that. 

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

It certainly defies analysis and logic at this point, so I agree. 

We've seen a few examples of this on high end pieces over the years, big rush and whizzing match with giant bids and then crickets when it goes live. 

The overnight run from $227 to $382 really felt just like that. 

Maybe, but, my guess is that was the first of the also-rans shooting his wad in an attempt to see if he actually had a chance or not.

I'm betting there are still at least two people willing to take it higher. hm 

Just now, delekkerste said:

Maybe, but, my guess is that was the first of the also-rans shooting his wad in an attempt to see if he actually had a chance or not.

I'm betting there are still at least two people willing to take it higher. hm 

None of the people I've spoken to have been willing to admit plans to take this any higher.

Those denials might just be them fearing derision and mockery however.